by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:15 pm

jonriv wrote:Donnie -good to see a post from you. I hope all is well

Ditto. Good to see you, Donnie!

"Ditto? You provincial putz!"
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crashsdaddy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:01 am

DD attended a camp at the school she will now be playing for next year. At the end of the camp she was invited to come back for a school tour and a sit down with the coach. It snow balled from there.
crashsdaddy

by 93players » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:01 pm

In Texas, Ronald McDonald is king and the other showcases depend if they are invite or pay. Invite (Impact Gold, Glory) are pretty good for smaller D1 schools. Pay showcases in Texas are not worth it. Pennsbury has an academic day so if you want to go to the Ivys, its worth paying to play.

But my DD went to a top ACC school camp with 250 kids and Harvard with 60 kids. After the ACC coach told the kids, no labs classes in spring, year around school to lighten load in season, and strongly discouraged science, my DD was not happy. She was also not happy when the entire camp was geared to winnowing the players into the best 18 that would play each other in front of the other 232. She made that cut but found the process demeaning to the other kids. The very next week at Harvard, the coach brought out former players with jobs on Wall Street, in medicine, and law. My DD was pretty impressed. She said, I want to go Ivy. I told her it would be hard but she committed to work hard to get the test scores. Another coach at that camp told some other Ivy coaches about DD and she had several coaches that followed her to RMD, Huntington Beach, Rising Stars, and Colorado. She got a firm offer from one by June between junior and senior year and it has turned out great. Excellent education and playing some great D1 schools in Florida, California, and Texas. She has even been a small part of some upsets, that rarely go reported. And, the coaching has been excellent. Players who are academically inclined should not overlook the Ivy League and other strong academic schools in D1, D2, and D3. Remember the winner of the Ivy League gets to play in the tourney!
93players

by 6position » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Our experience:
Initial impact in recruitment was fall 2010 at OnDeck camp in Phoenix when she was in 8th grade. Interest from several large D1 programs at that time. Back to back injuries took her out of recruiting until summer of 2012. Another strong performance at the OnDeck camp in Chicago that summer gained major D1 attention, as well as invite to Mt. SAC the following fall. Most coaches watched in Boulder 16U that summer as well as strong performance at 16U PGF Nationals. She ended up at her dream school. Honestly, the only camps she attended were at her one dream school that same summer and a couple that were attached to unofficial visits that fall of 2012 she got offers and committed. Most credit for us goes to OnDeck camps and her select coaches who never gave up.

I do think the landscape has changed somewhat though....
6position

by BB2830 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 pm

What kind of financial support could you expect to receive from the Ivy's who don't offer athletic scholarships? Is it all needs based or any input on what you might be able to obtain? I know position, overall ability and academics probably play a part but trying to get an idea of what aid might be available.
BB2830

by jonriv » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 pm

All aid at ivies is based on financial needs. Since they consider everyone their academically qualified
jonriv

by DonnieS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
jonriv wrote:Donnie -good to see a post from you. I hope all is well

Ditto. Good to see you, Donnie!

"Ditto? You provincial putz!"

Thanks guys, Couple more months in a wheel chair - then start weight bearing exercises around mid or later june. Doing my work telecommuting - so thats good.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by mikille » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 am

We had filled out dream school's online questionnaire, and sent regular email Spring Sophmore year, during Summer and Fall Junior year. Paid for non-school commercial camps - waste of time and money, but still not a bad way to vacation with the kid. I've heard good things about school camps, just never attended one.

As panic set in, DD changed to a "name brand" travel team , had a skills video made and sent it out to about 25 schools, and received good responses (encouraging to us). Then did OnDeck Zoom into June - 118 players on 3 back to back fields (hitting, pitching and fielding), and 160 coaches. Incredible. Interest was expressed, including by the dream school - DD did not want to verbal until after visiting school - in September of Senior year.
mikille

by Mark H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 am

jonriv wrote:All aid at ivies is based on financial needs. Since they consider everyone their academically qualified

Yes. For those of you who are familiar with the FAFSA, EFC and "need", you figure the Ivies are going to cover "need". "Need" can still feel rather large for those of us in the middle class but it's generally doable. The schools can refer you to a financial calculator to estimate the cost online. There is no talk of you can't major in this or that at an Ivy. They are truly student athletes with the student part coming first which can be huge depending on what you want to study.

A little plug here - I'm real impressed with the new Dartmouth coach. All the parents seem happy, the team is performing well and I couldn't be happier.
Mark H

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting