Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Help! This college doesn't fit.

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Shaaa...Really » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:41 am

How do you go about, or is it possible to transfer to a different college after freshman year? Grades not the issue. Skill not the issue. Where do you look? Just not a good fit. :|
Shaaa...Really

by McGee » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:11 am

Recognition of a poor fit is a huge first step. The second step is determining the factors driving the poor fit. The third step is building a list of potential schools that are a better alternative and the final step is the hard work of applying and getting admitted to one of the schools.
I know from personal experience that Transfering is an arduous and stressful experience but well worth the effort.
It is also a great life lesson because you learn that you can change your mind and your destiny.
McGee

by Shaaa...Really » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:04 am

Excellent advice!!. Determining factors, check.
We intend to be upfront with the coaching staff, but know once that door is closed its done. Do we wait until season is over or tell them now, so we can look and they can plan?
Can the Coach keep my DD from playing at another college?
How do we identify the colleges that are looking, or at least have scholarships to offer?

I know this is a ton of questions and I hope you can help. I know that we are not alone, and that is very comforting.
Shaaa...Really

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:04 pm

I would wait till the season is over and they have their One on One's. I would also go back to her travel ball coach or someone that has good contact with colleges. They will know soon enough what they need to fill.

The coach most definitely can keep your daughter from playing next year. The coach can also determine which schools she can talk to about transferring. I'd start reading up on the NCAA rules regarding transfer.

If your daughter is playing less than 20% of games right now, she may be eligible for a red shirt year.

Good luck!!!
Sftbll4ever

by Shaaa...Really » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks, That was exactly what I was looking for, not hoping for, but at least I don't feel so lost. I hate to sound stupid, but i didn't eve think about the NCAA rules.
Shaaa...Really

by Battle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Shaaa...Really wrote:Thanks, That was exactly what I was looking for, not hoping for, but at least I don't feel so lost. I hate to sound stupid, but i didn't eve think about the NCAA rules.

Does she know where she wants to transfer to? Does she know anyone playing on the team? Has the coach of that team seen her play? Has she got permission from the school to talk to other schools? How many transfer scholarships does the receiving school offer? Will the school let her play AND pursue the major that she wants to pursue? Are both colleges set up on semesters or quarters?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Shaaa...Really » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Battle - The easy answer to all of those questions is no. We are still in the, for a lack of a better way of putting it, What the heck do we do now phase.
Shaaa...Really

by softballife » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 am

Shaaa...Really wrote:Battle - The easy answer to all of those questions is no. We are still in the, for a lack of a better way of putting it, What the heck do we do now phase.

MY daughter goes to UAlbany she hates the coach in face i have not found one parent or athlete that like her, she's is mean to them violates NCAA rules but most are afraid to complain because of retaliation. she would transfer if she could. she loves the school and team mates.

I just wish we would have found out more about her before signing but i don't thing the kids would say anything to new recruits.

Concerned parent
softballife

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Coach can definitely refuse to release your daughter next year. There is an appeals process. That appeal is supposed to go up to a level above Athletic Department, but all of this really depends on university.

You will increase your position in the initial meeting the more you are able to make an academic or life based, i.e. a non-sports case. Not liking the coach can easily be turned into "wants to better her softball career." Holdouts are becoming more rare but this year, ULL and SDSU have both held out on students. This despite their huge rosters, and in ULL's case low number of seniors.

Every time the transfer comes built on a case of academics, they get approved.
- Kid not getting good enough grades.
- Kid not getting challenged, school is not academically challenging enough. Better have straight A's if you are playing this card.
- Kid has decided on a major that school does not offer.
- Kid has selected a major and softball coach suggests she not take that major.
Hard for a school to hold out on academic motivated transfer.

Keep in mind athletes in NCAA are not allowed to talk to another school until they have permission from their current school. If you are known to talk to coaches before permission, that will be brought up as a negative in any further parts of the process. If you ask permission now you will certainly see your play time go to zero. You can most definitely use your select coach to talk to other schools and find out what options you may have. He can and should talk to a number of college coaches on your behalf.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting