Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Help with getting on College teams radar

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 am

is no secret that the Ivy League Schools are not of the same quality as they were 20-30 years ago. They have watered down their admission standards in order to comply to the political special interest groups.

Not sure how true that is. Coming from a town and industry flush with Ivy leaguers, I had posed a similar question about that a few years back to some harvard, Yale and Cornell grads. Their view was that whatever "watering down"(and they skeptical about that assertion) came from trying to me more diversified actually overcame the watering down that used to occur on wealthy or famous legacies (ie Kennedy, Bush etc)or people just buying there way in that would not otherwise qualify) Plus for those west of the Mississippi this diversification policy works well for you since the school try to attract students from all over the country and the western states are under represented. Never underestimate the "brand name" that an Ivy League diploma also represents.

The Ivies, like most schools today, are looking for well-rounded high achieving students. Just getting straight A's does not cut it anymore. Sports, the arts, community involvement etc.... are all huge components. Softball players(especially those with great grades) are a hot commodity. There are still high SAT score required(a little lower than the average student), but softball might be the deciding factor that gets your daughter in instead of someone of equal academics

A friend of of our's daughter was interviewing at Yale a number of years ago. The interviewer asked her "Do you play any sports?" Their daughter said, "tennis" The interviewer said, "Everyone plays tennis, but unless you are nationally ranked forget it, but if you play softball we can talk"
jonriv

by BAM2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 am

Depending on what level of NCSA package you bought. The PSAT is included and could be taken numerous times, at no additonal cost. DD is a soph. now, and not being a coaches kid, we did, all the research we could. Use NCSA and send out emails, profiles, game schedule.. After you narrow down what she might like to study, taylor your college search to the school that offer that program and studies that give her leeway in the same field in case she should really find out what she wants to do. Find Local camps and try and attend those, so you can personally meet the coaches that are there. Also the bigger stud your kid is, the likeliness she's on somebody radar already. Communicate with your travel coaches, your specialized coached, those are good avenue's for exposure. I wouldn't solely rely on big name organizations to get your kid out there. I have ton's of friends that are on those, and has been of no help. I just went through the process with my oldest, and verballed early, and am in the process of working it for my youngest.
Realized where your daughter is at skill wise, what she has to work on, that could be physical and mental. Also, it is know that coaches look at them away from the dirt, and the family and parents as well.
Good luck, if you want to PM me i'd be happy to talk with you, with what we just went through.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bean Counter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:42 am

by jonriv » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Have you filled out the player/student profile on the athletic website on the schools website?

At what age/grade would you suggest filling out the schools player/student profile?
Bean Counter

by Crankymom » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:08 am

BAM2, my kid's new coach was just talking about NCSA. I am confused with the taking the PSAT as many times as you want - it is only given once a year. Is it that the NCSA has links to practice tests? My kid has to take PSATs 9th-11th grade at her school. She is in 11th now, so this is the year that counts (and is close to the National Merit number, but doesn't really care).

Is NCSA worth it for the kid that might play DIII ball, but isn't sure? Or is she better off just making her own (free) effort to contact college coaches?
Crankymom

by jonriv » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:22 am

Bean Counter wrote:
by jonriv » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Have you filled out the player/student profile on the athletic website on the schools website?

At what age/grade would you suggest filling out the schools player/student profile?

Probably start in 8th grade. Make it fun. We started later than that because we did not know any better. Some might even suggest earlier. Your earl list of colleges should be broad and varied
jonriv

by exD1dad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:41 am

As the world turns...“If your brains were dynamite there wouldn't be enough to blow your hat off.” ..Kurt Vonnegut

Everything you say is that of an uninformed, uneducated peasant, whose every word on academics should be discarded as pure drivel because it is a 100% biased opinion based upon nothing factual, but merely thoughts from your twisted mind.
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:55 am

Cranky Mom,
I copied this from the website. And when I went to it, put in zip code it listed sites where my DD could take the PSAT, again. For Free.
Started at our NSCA login, then SAT/ACT and PSAT. It directed us though a KAPLAN education website..

"Don’t sell yourself short when it comes to SAT/ACT test prep. As you know, NCSA is the inside track to connecting exceptional students with college coaches, but that’s not all! As a benefit to Recruit-Match Plus and Pro-Match memberships, we also provide you access to Kaplan test prep to help you prepare for your SAT or ACT test (a $299 value!).

NCSA has a direct partnership with the leader for over 70 years in the test prep realm and 9 out of 10 students who have taken Kaplan courses would recommend Kaplan for test prep.

As the world leader in online education, Kaplan guarantees an increase in your score come test time! By combining their skill to aid in academics with our awesome ability to unite you with top schools – you get the competitive edge you need as a recruit. Depending on your NCSA membership, features may vary, so contact your recruiting coach for specific questions."
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crankymom » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:45 am

Thanks BAM2. So they are talking about practice tests. My kid has access to a number of previously administered tests, and I think her scores will probably help her - it is the softball skills that are weaker than the academic skills.
Crankymom

by jonriv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:55 am

Not sure the benefit of taking multiple PSAT and PSAT preps unless your goal is national merit scholarship. The past otherwise a meaningless test that is used to benchmark for the sat. Much better to do multiple sat preps and test. Most schools use the highest sat scores from each part. Also a good idea at some point to take at lest one subject sat as well. As mentioned before, although some people have similar scores on the sat and act, many people( my son include) score better on the act. Most schools take either
jonriv

by mfrmorg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Need help with college recruiting?

Check-out MFRM.ORG
"MyFit + RoadMap"

http://mfrm.org

" ... discover your best fit university,
be successfully recruited,
with a meaningful scholarship !!! "
mfrmorg

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting