Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Reality Checks

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by DonnieS » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:08 am

Sad to hear about 3 kids that I really like - who wanted to play college ball - but arent, this year at least. All , in my opinion, the fault of the parents. These are not all in our sport by the way, but it applies to our sport as well. Two of the kids parents - are freaking clueless - kids arent bad - good athletes - but are not top D1 athletes. On top of that, the parents are poster children for the over the top nuts types. Had major confrontation with coaches - in front of news cameras and college scouts (who were there to see other kids). The film clip could probably make a great PSA on what not to do. Flew their kids all over the country going to combines - put on by pro teams - to get more 'attention'. Switch their kids from team to team like nothing that has been discussed on this board. The tough thing is the kids are small - one 5.7 - this one is more athletic, the second kid, is 5.9. Swore all over the place their kids would slam dunks at top D1 programs - had they been realistic, those kids could be having a great college start at a decent Juco, or D2 or D3. Money is not a factor to any of these families either. The third kid's parents told her the same thing - going to pitch d1 - so on and so forth. Spent a year sitting on a bench at a very competitive D1 where the coach was wore down by the parents into letting her on the team. Now she says - no more. I know another kid who is the 3rd year of her college softball career, two years of starting at a new juco and now is going to play at a pretty highly rated (athletically) D3 school, and happy as a clam.

Its hard to be realistic - I know personally - but it is very important.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:55 pm

How were their grades and are they going to college even though they are not playing?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by DonnieS » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Battle wrote:How were their grades and are they going to college even though they are not playing?

Grades are not an issue with any of the three I wrote about. And yes to all three - they are all going to college.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:16 pm

DonnieS wrote:
Battle wrote:How were their grades and are they going to college even though they are not playing?

Grades are not an issue with any of the three I wrote about. And yes to all three - they are all going to college.

Good for them. You know, some feel that anything below a D1 is a failure. IMO that's what all this boils down to and that is just crazy talk.
I agree with you Donnie. Being realistic is the key.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Safebyahare » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

I love your common sense factor. Logic is a valued weapon of choice, and a parents pride can damage and ruin it.
Your messages regarding this topic has great weight and merit, and I do respect that .
It is vital that parents keep it real.
Besides let's face it, softball will only get you a cheap 4 yr. B.A. degree.
The Masters degree is what will cost.
Now with that said, do you (a) play for D1 school and sit while BA gets paid for,,, or
(b) play for DII school and play and have that BA paid for.
Another reality check is the fit... there is no sense in going to a school that your going to be miserable at.
Too often all angles of the commitment are not look at.
Now I am new to this,,,and well ,,it seems to be working.(pray)
Last year sent dd to an Aunt's house in Austin for Thanksgiving. Had her visit UT. Reality set in.
A brown haired 5'04" player from CA does not fit here, against 5'11" blonde Texas beast team.
We also covered GRADES aspect. She is a 3.3 GPA so John Hopkins is out and Princeton doesn't look likely either.
The maturity factor came into play when a Midwest D1 school gave her an offer. They flew her in, she loved it, till reality set in. She decided NOT to move too far away. (There may be hope for her)(please let her have common sense)
At present she has accepted an offer from a Cal State DII school here in So Cal about an hour 15 from home.
No it is not the University of ,,,,,it is an opportunity to play ball for a team that wins more than it losses.
It is an opportunity for her break away without felling far away.
It is a BA degree in the making, from there a Masters can be hers should she want it.
This is all good with me, no I won't see her on TV playing softball, I will have the chance to see her live.
She is furthering her education and that is what I was shooting for.

PS she also courted this school, meaning she went to some of their games, looked over the players and coach, she made sure he knew she was there, and he returned the favor by watching her at some showcases.
So in closing I guess it needs to be genuine and real.
Last edited by Safebyahare on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Battle wrote:
DonnieS wrote:

Good for them. You know, some feel that anything below a D1 is a failure. IMO that's what all this boils down to and that is just crazy talk.

What?? Battle actually agreeing with someone? :D

Next thing you know we might even see him agree with someone outside his own state...maybe even someone from (dare I say) California! :o

Nah! :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bart16761 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Safebyahare wrote:I love your common sense factor. Logic is a valued weapon of choice, and a parents pride can damage and ruin it.
Your messages regarding this topic has great weight and merit, and I do respect that .
Now with that said, do you (a) play for D1 school and sit while BA gets paid for,,, or
Another reality check is the fit... there is no sense in going to a school that your going to be miserable at.
Last year sent dd to an Aunt's house in Austin for Thanksgiving. Had her visit UT. Reality set in.
A brown haired 5'04" player from CA does not fit here, against 5'11" blonde Texas beast team.
We also covered GRADES aspect. She is a 3.3 GPA so John Hopkins is out and Princeton doesn't look likely either.
The maturity factor came into play when a Midwest D1 school gave her an offer. They flew her in, she loved it, till reality set in. She decided NOT to move too far away. (There may be hope for her)(please let her have common sense)
At present she has accepted an offer from a Cal State DII school here in So Cal about an hour 15 from home.
No it is not the University of ,,,,,it is an opportunity to play ball for a team that wins more than it losses.
It is a BA degree in the making, from there a Masters can be hers should she want it.
This is all good with me, no I won't see her on TV playing softball, I will have the chance to see her live.

Great post!
bart16761
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Battle wrote:
DonnieS wrote:

What?? Battle actually agreeing with someone? :D

Next thing you know we might even see him agree with someone outside his own state...maybe even someone from (dare I say) California! :o

Nah! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's too funny...and I agree....with the "Nah!" part that is... :D
Battle

by THE GODFATHER » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:22 am

bart16761 wrote:
Safebyahare wrote:I love your common sense factor. Logic is a valued weapon of choice, and a parents pride can damage and ruin it.

Great post!

I concur!
Thanks
THE GODFATHER

Return to College Recruiting