Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

recruiting process / committing -- could use some advice..

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by 13'sFundingSource » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 am

I have been a visitor and lurker for a couple years now, but only today became an official member. I have read your posts and learned so much from all of you. This is basically my first post and I'm realizing that I've saved up all my words for this one post. :roll: :roll: :roll:

My dd is a SR and the recruiting process has been rocky. She is a pitcher and it has been difficult to deal with our reality in the process versus all the hype about early offers/commitments for others even in our area, especially pitchers (several girls in our area have committed to D1 and D2 schools as FR & SO). I’ve heard the whole “if your dd is a pitcher and hasn’t committed by the beginning of her SR year she is in trouble.” So, I often find myself wondering if we have screwed it all up and she should have been offered by now. We’ve had interest from a couple D1s and a handful of D2s that haven’t panned out even when we thought we were very close to an offer (to qualify, I don't consider it "interest" unless email is personalized at least, answers questions, asks us info, etc.). Some came and watched her play several times, others showed interest during camps or visits and/or even told her she was one of a select few at the top of their list...only to eventually hear from the coach that “they made a scholarship offer to another pitcher and they are waiting to hear back, but if their offer isn’t accepted, then we are ‘next’ or ‘at the top’ of their list” more than once. Obviously none of those panned out. Several of the sorry emails had language from the coach along the lines of “we know you are a very good pitcher and keep us up to date with how your senior season is going, etc.” One D1 (out of state) said she would be welcome if she wanted to walk on, and another D1 said even though they used their pitcher scholarship $ that they are still looking for athletes so keep them updated and they’ll let us know what they still need once they are into their Fall practices. The whole thing can be very “wearing” on a family and often times I think it would be so nice for her to be committed so she could just focus on school and playing and getting ready for the next level.

I find myself wondering if: a) we’ve screwed this whole thing up due to something we are not doing right; or, b) dd just isn’t good enough and hasn’t been anyone’s first choice; or, c) this is just how the process goes and if it was meant to be it will happen and don’t worry about the fact that so many others have committed in our area and scholarship money is drying up as we speak; or d) all of the above.

So there a D2 that dd just made contact with in late July. We visited after summer season was over and met with the coach and they seemed to really hit it off. DD fell in love with the campus, perfect size and distance, and dd said she felt great energy from everyone she came in contact with and really wants to go there for school and play ball. It is almost as if it was just meant to be. She qualifies for academic $ with her current ACT score already, within a point or two of full academic tuition $, with plans to retake again at least twice this fall/winter. So us fundingsource-types feel that if an athletic scholarship would not come, we would be all for her going there anyway and trying to walk on (we think she could be successful at this). Since we are a little wary of the process due to what we’ve experienced to date, we are wondering if dd should just tell the coach on the next phone call that she wants to go there and she wants to play ball for her and put the proverbial ball in the coach’s court. However, since dd made contact so late with them, the coach hasn’t been able to come watch her play yet (our state’s HS season is in the Fall) but has seen her videos and said she was “very, very impressed” and has stated how much she likes dd and such. The coach called dd about a week ago, and dd called her a day ago to give her an update. Coach asked her about coming to watch them play in a couple weeks, and also about coming there for a visit after HS season is over and staying in the dorm. Coach keeps saying she’ll come and watch soon, but problem is their fall practices have started, and coach is 3 hours away with limited time. I don't think she'll offer until she can see her play in person, but at the same time I can’t stop that little voice from worrying that she’ll find someone better if this drags on too long.

What would you do? Should we just wait and let it work itself out? Should dd tell coach she wants to commit and risk coach realizing she doesn’t have to offer athletic $$ to get her there? If so, how should dd phrase this to the coach? (don’t get me wrong, we could REALLY use any athletic aid she would offer as the we've been so busy writing checks that we haven’t saved for college). Have I forever branded myself on Heybucket as “the neurotic funder”?
Last edited by 13'sFundingSource on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
13'sFundingSource

by superfan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 pm

If your daughter loves the school, then perhaps that is the right choice for her. I would schedule a meeting with you, your daughter, and the coach. If your daughter loves the school tell the coach she would like to commit. At that time ask if there is a possibility of any athletic scholarship money to help with the cost. I am surprised that scholarship money has never been addressed so perhaps there isn't any money left or they are only interested in her as a walk-on. Sometimes students are walk-ons as freshmen but earn scholarship money as sophmores.

If you are unsure about your daughter choosing that school, maybe she should select a couple of other choices. Film your daughter pitching in a game and send copies to prospective schools or post on 'you tube' and email coaches the link.

From my DD experience with recruitment and stories we've heard from others, when the player shows up at the campus to take a tour with the coach that is when the verbal offer is made.
superfan

by 13'sFundingSource » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks, superfan. I should have clarified that we do have video on youtube, 2 skills videos as well as live pitching during a game. The coach has these and was "very, very impressed" (her words). In addition, when we first visited, she brought up scholarship money and how much they are allotted (it is pathetic how little D2s get), and also mentioned that they are getting allotted more due to their move to a new conference this Fall. I just am confused as to whether it is up to dd/us to initiate the commitment conversation or if the college initiates that and we are to just wait patiently. It is one thing to talk about how it works in concept, it is something different to try to coach the dd as to how to say it and the right words to use. We are planning a visit in the next couple of weeks to watch their Fall scrimmages and will request a meeting with the coach bring it up, unless I can get dd to bring it up next time they talk on the phone (that is a struggle, too). I also wondered about dd offering to pitch for the coach on her campus - or is that a no-no? DD is in her HS season so obviously I don't want her to do anything against the rules. Do you think a coach would ever offer to a player that they haven't yet seen play in a live game?
13'sFundingSource

by 3'sDad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Dear 13's ATM: While the DD is not quite where you are, from reading what you described your family has done well:
1. DD found a school she believes she can be happy at.
2. DD is a very good student
3. DD's SAT/ACT scores qualify her for academic (4 year) aid, which means she should get through the Admissions process successfully at this institution.
4. She has the chance to play at the next level, if she wants to.

If this institution has the course work DD is intersted in studying, this sounds like it could be a nice home for her.

Best of Luck to your family.
3'sDad

by jonriv » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:23 am

Academic $$$$ are usually for all four years- Athletic $$$$ is year by year.....

If your DD gets injured, does not perform etc...... The school had no obligation to continue the athletic $$$$
jonriv

by jth1959 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:26 am

It sounds like your DD has found her school. DD loves the school, DD will receive academic money and coach has interest......BINGO. Now you need to ask yourself if athletic money on top of academic money is a factor to your wallet keeping in mind the athletic money probably won't be all that much anyway.
jth1959

by jonriv » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:22 am

jth1959 wrote:It sounds like your DD has found her school. DD loves the school, DD will receive academic money and coach has interest......BINGO. Now you need to ask yourself if athletic money on top of academic money is a factor to your wallet keeping in mind the athletic money probably won't be all that much anyway.

BINGO!!!!
jonriv

by michael obryan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:11 am

I have been helping kids for 15 years get into college , it is a long process that should start while they are young and narrow out down the line . D-1 coaches do get scared if a pitcher has not commited her senior year , however there are some that look at it a diffrent way . The bottom line is they go to school for an education , and softball is a bonus ! In the end no one knows if your there on academics or athletics , they just know your there to get an education !
my 2nd dd went on academic ride , and turned down some good schools becuse she just did not feel it ! They offered athletic money her second year so that they could use her GPA . Title 9 has changed how money is given out now , it is geven out based on GPA of the team and in order to use an athletes GPA you have to give them some athletic money .
With all that said , I have put 3 of mine in college , and working on my baby now ! I told all of mine the same thing I tell all my players and other kids , when you get to the right school it will fit you like the best thing you ever tried on ! And that holds true , we visited many schools and each of them picked their school with in 30 minutes of being there . I would say to you , don't rule out D-2 , D-3 or NAIA school (they can give both academic and athletic as well ) . some are very expensive but there are some realy great ones out there that are very reasonalbe . I also try to tell everyone if you go to a D-1 expect to sit the bench that first season , the average age of a D-1 starter is 20 the average age of a D-1 in the world series is 21 !
hope that helped but if shes happy let her go where she wants , because if not she will just pack it in , only 39% of players nation wide play it out thru the 4 years there !
michael obryan

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am

Ask your daughter... "if the school dropped softball as a sport would you still want to go there for the education..."

Softball is a 1-4 ticket in life. A degree in a substantive field is a 40 year ticket in life.

And, yes, "substantive" is subjective. Actually being able to leverage a degree in 17th Century French Literature is a bit more difficult than biology, chem, physics, math, blah, blah, blah... all of which are likely available at the school of interest.

Go for the education, enjoy the softball as an added side benefit.

JMHO... enjoy in good health.
fasterpitch92701

by winginit » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:14 pm

May not hurt to have DD's travel ball or High School coach call the college coach and see what they are thinking. I know the colleges were being very specific to our coach regarding our DD.
winginit

Return to College Recruiting