Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Verbal offers.

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by softballer95 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I am writing to the group, looking for information on what I may not know about this process, which is a lot I am sure.

My daughter has just finished her freshman year in high school.

She has been in the travel/club ball for years, been to camps, played in showcases, emailed coaches, called coaches, etc, etc. She has emailed and called one specific D1 university since the summer before 8th grade. It is not her first choice, and is only probably in her top fifteeen. However, if that is all that she is offered, she would gladly attend this university. If she went to this college, her mother and I could easily get there to see games, and that part would be cool for us.

She has been calling and talking to the head coach on and off this season, more than normal. They have been to a number of her games. After calling the head coach recently, the coach made her a verbal offer for a scholarship to attend the university. In essence telling her that whatever academic scholarships would not pay, that the softball program would pay. My daughter tried to feverishly take notes. However, somehow I feel like I only have a partial understanding of what just happened, as it was presented to my somewhat spacey 15 year old daughter.

My daughter has always had higher aspirations to attend an SEC or PAC-10 school, and is set to attend more camps and showcases late summer and fall, in hopes of continuing to court those schools. However, I just want to know the consensus of the group in how to deal with this very real offer, as opposed to the hope of getting others from those schools in her top ten.

I have a million questions, and noone to really ask, so I submit it to the group.

What don't I know? What do I need to be asking the coach, which we are planning on visiting at an unofficial visit? What do you think the timeframe is for committing to this realistically, or losing the slot? What details should I try to get? What happens if my daughter verbals? Is there any going back if a bigger better offer comes down the pipe? If so, to what consequence? Will another school offer a kid that has verballed elsewhere? Can the university back out? Is it likely?

My mind is buzzing with other questions, but you get the idea, I don't know what to ask, what I need to know,what I don't know and how to protect my sizeable investment in the club ball career of my kid by holding out for bigger and better things at the risk of losing this offer. My daughter is only 15, and at 15, I had no idea where I would attend college, and no idea how she will know if this is the right move or not.
While I want to support her dream of bigger and better things, at some level aren't we all just happy if our daughters get the chance to play the game at the next level, and get an education and as a result a career as a result of their love for the game?

Thanks for any help
softballer95

by PlayingfortheOCB » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 pm

If you don't have it or haven't seen it, get Cathi Aradi's Book about preparing yourself to play College Softball. You can purchase the book for around $34 of the NFCA web site. http://www.nfca.org . It's a valuable resource and packed with information on the recruiting process.

Since she is only a sophomore, she is still young and being a verbal offer it is non binding on either party. I would continue to build this relationship while she continues to work on academics and her softball skills. The summer of her sophomore year/fall of her Junior is when it all really starts happening. This is the time period when she really needs to be making things happen for her with her writing coaches, academics and showcases!!!

Another point, until your daughter reaches 18, everything will need to be approved by the parent, including the parent signing the NLI. Next time your daughter calls, get on the phone with her or make an appointment and visit campus with your DD. Once on Campus, there is no restriction with you or your DD speaking with the Coaching Staff. Parents and kid should be involved in the recruiting process and there really shouldn't be any unanswered questions.

Good Luck and Best Wishes..

MikeD.
PlayingfortheOCB

by jonriv » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:43 pm

First Question- Does the school fill her academic needs????

Second thing to understand is that a verbal has no legal standing whatsoever and is not recognized by the NCAA- so yes the University or your daughter can back out(although historically less common in softball than other sports)

Third Thing: This is a life changing decision, make sure it is the right one
jonriv

by brewtusplease » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:04 am

On your unofficial visit, make sure you ask when the coach needs an answer. This can vary greatly. Ours had a mid-major that knew her aspirations and left the slot open for almost a year. Your daughter is obviously doing all the right things to get in front of coaches. And she will probably entertain more offers. My advice would be to make sure she visits multiple campuses and multiple programs. She should feel zero regret when making a decision and she HAS TIME.
brewtusplease

by whatever » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:38 am

Other things to consider besides the #1 does it fit her academic needs is: what about the other schools in her top 5 - have you checked their roster/contacted them and will they even have a need for your dd. My dd's dream school, we found out, does not have a need for her position - or some schools have already filled that need as a lot of D1's make their lineups 2 years in advance. DD's other top pick school had only 1 scholarship left to split between 3 positions - so that gave us an idea of what could be offered to compare to others. Other thing to consider is the position she plays and what that position normally commands in percentage to offer. Pitchers and catchers get a lot of full rides but not a lot of outfielders. Is the school out of state or-instate?

Also, does this school have a history of early verbals and have they worked out in the past? Ever hear of them rescinding? Schools get bad reputations should they start doing this. Your travel coach could help find answers to many of these questions on your behalf as well.
whatever

by brewtusplease » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 am

Whatever brings up a great point on the team's need for certain positions. As well, if it is a big time softball school with a whole bunch of big time players, the money can only shake out so many ways. Offers to our kiddo were directly affected by that. The school simply did not have to offer a lot as kids were willing to take less than what they would take at another school to play for a big dog.

I would also suggest that you know how long the coach has been there and if they have a contract to renegotiate soon. We ask nicely and ask all coaches this, but learned the hard way. It's a crappy position to be in when the coach you liked gets tossed and a new one comes in. All bets are off at that point.
brewtusplease

by softballer95 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the comments.

This university fits her academic needs, well at least as they are now for my 15 year old. At 15, I had no idea what i'd be when I grew up, heck, at 40, not sure I still know. Which is why these verbals trouble me, how do you know what you are doing is what you will want in 3 years, or that you won't miss out on something else.

Further, it appears that playing time will be more here than her top 5 picks. I have heard the comment before on getting the coach to tell you of her contract term or thoughts on coach's future at the school, which is important.
softballer95

by dodgerblue » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm

You are right, when my DD was 15 she wanted to study one thing and when she was 16 wanted to get into another field and now at 17 knows what she wants cause it's getting close. If she would've verballed when she was in the 9th grade we would be in trouble right about now. I would defintely look at the turnaround rate at some of these colleges it's insane, now I know why certain schools are at every showcase trying to pick up girls that left the program. I would really stay away from 35 girl rostered team who gives a crap if they make a showing in the tournament every year. I tell my DD she's not going to become a professional softball player she's going to get a degree and get a real job. ;)
dodgerblue

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 am

I was worried when my dd wasn't getting offers as a freshman. As a sophomore, she started to turn down schools. Now, going into her Senior year, she has a firm grasp of what she wants. She has narrowed down her list. Her major has changed only the slightest. Either way, the end point is still the same type of career, just a different emphasis.

She is so happy that she waited instead of just taking the schools that were a name.

I have heard twice in the last year where a player has been told what course of study they SHOULD be taking and not necessarily what the wanted. That is what we were staying away from.
Sftbll4ever

by dodgerblue » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 am

Not to mention all the coaching changes and girls who verballed with the prior coach now have to be re-evaluated. A friend of mine verballed to one school and coach left and went to another school so now coach wants her to commit to new school. This is what scares me, what about the girls who verballed previous they no longer get a shot cause there's been a coaching change. You could say it doesn't happen but I personally know this happening to (4) different girls which in the end it worked some way or another either neww coach honored or went to another school and started the process all over again.
dodgerblue

Return to College Recruiting