Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

The Summer Before

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 am

My DD's Senior HS Season is nearing the end and she will soon be playing summer ball. Any first hand advice out there on how to best utilize her summer season in preparing for college play? Her summer team is an 18u team with half of the girls already playing in college. Any advice, stories, etc would be great.
jonriv

by Joe » Fri May 13, 2011 6:11 am

jonriv wrote:My DD's Senior HS Season is nearing the end and she will soon be playing summer ball. Any first hand advice out there on how to best utilize her summer season in preparing for college play? Her summer team is an 18u team with half of the girls already playing in college. Any advice, stories, etc would be great.

Sam, what do you think? Can you offer this man some advice?
Joe

by jonriv » Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 am

I would rather have someone with some experience in the subject.
jonriv

by Blind Squirrel » Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 am

My kid played on the best 18G team she could after being told by her coach to try to play against the best pitchers as often as possible. In retrospect, I maybe should have looked into her playing 23U so she could see some experienced college pitchers. I'm not knowledgeable enough to give "advice" but it is something maybe other people on here can respond to as a possibility.

Syphilitic Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anonlooker » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 am

Go on the McDonalds Super Size Me diet. It will make the Fall Running & Conditioning Program worthwhile, and the cafeteria food edible.
Bat lefty, so there is something for the hitting coach to fix.
Break up with HS sweetheart immediately after graduation, so you'll be over it by the time college starts and new coach and teammates won't think you're an emotional basketcase.
Clean up your Facebook page, you're mature now and all that HS crap is just, like, OMG I can't believe we did that!
Tell parents you have decided to hiatus in Europe for a year with Guillermo, a nice Italian boy you met at a club in New York. It may be the last chance you get to make your dad totally freak out. Yeah!
Buy a new Xeno. It may not do anything for your hitting, but you'll get tons of attention.
Remain humble. Your dad has already saved you the trouble of informing the universe that you're going to college.
Have fun. In four short years you'll enter the job market and... well, have fun NOW!
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Joe » Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 am

anonlooker wrote:Tell parents you have decided to hiatus in Europe for a year with Guillermo, a nice Italian boy you met at a club in New York. It may be the last chance you get to make your dad totally freak out. Yeah!!

No, there will plenty of opportunities when DD moves on...

Here's a sampling...

You call her cell phone for 4 days and she keeps hitting 'ignore'.
You call her cell phone for 4 days and it goes to voice mail immediately.
You watch her bank account or campus account go from $500 to -0- in five days.
You move her into her dorm at night and watch a kid stumble by on the sidewalk who's working on his second bottle of Jim Beam.
She asks you if you ever smoked weed.
The bill from the campus clinic is a mystery.
She wants you to meet "a boy".
The bill from the campus clinic is no longer a mystery.

Have fun!
Joe

by sftblldud » Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Joe wrote:
anonlooker wrote:Tell parents you have decided to hiatus in Europe for a year with Guillermo, a nice Italian boy you met at a club in New York. It may be the last chance you get to make your dad totally freak out. Yeah!!

No, there will plenty of opportunities when DD moves on...

Here's a sampling...

You call her cell phone for 4 days and she keeps hitting 'ignore'.
You call her cell phone for 4 days and it goes to voice mail immediately.
You watch her bank account or campus account go from $500 to -0- in five days.
You move her into her dorm at night and watch a kid stumble by on the sidewalk who's working on his second bottle of Jim Beam.
She asks you if you ever smoked weed.
The bill from the campus clinic is a mystery.
She wants you to meet "a boy".
The bill from the campus clinic is no longer a mystery.

Have fun!

I agree totally, this is funny but could be true. But seriously, have her go play up on a 23U team where she will get to see better pitching and be around older and mature women. That way when she gets to college she'll know how to act.

This is the best way to end her last summer season of TB. Oh yeah, remember those 23U teams are not 21U teams. That means Drinking, Smoking, Staying Out Late at Night(knowing the other team they play is probably doing the same), Not coming home to mom & dad but going home to there Boyfriend or Girlfriend. Yea, that will get her ready. :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my pants
sftblldud

by CheckWriter » Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 pm

jonriv wrote:My DD's Senior HS Season is nearing the end and she will soon be playing summer ball. Any first hand advice out there on how to best utilize her summer season in preparing for college play? Her summer team is an 18u team with half of the girls already playing in college. Any advice, stories, etc would be great.

Plyometrics or similar.

I don't know that 23U or open women's or anything else is any better than 18U or 18 Gold. It's all reps.

JMO
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting