Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Recruiting Rules

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by The Farm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:32 pm

I was talking with a D1 coach today and he told me that they are only allowed 50 recruiting days per year. If they send two coaches to a three day tournament, that counts as six of their 50 total.

Much different than on the baseball side. They have quiet periods in which they are not allowed to recruit, but they are not limited to such a relatively low number of days.

Does anyone know why the big disparity between SB and BB?

Also, is this rule the same for all levels of college SB? (D1, D2, D3, NAIA, JuCo)
The Farm

by 3Bsnag » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 am

I can't answer the baseball side.

The number of evaluation days are not the same, in fact not restricted, in other divisions than Division 1. The calendars (dead, evaluation, contact periods) are different as well and most below DI are only restricted in relation to the week of NLI signings.

50 days doesn't seem like enough to recruit, especially with 3 possible coaches out. However, high school games and camps (on or off campus) don't count. Certain tournaments may only count as 1 day if it's a multi-day event at the same location.

For example, let's say 3 coaches go to Colorado- 1 at Stazio, 1 at Aurora, and 1 at Westiminster. If they stay at the same complex and are there 4 consecutive days (no break), they should only be charged with 3 recruiting days. If they rotate complexes, the full 12 days can be charged.

Now, with some major showcases being the same weekend, sending 3 coaches to different states is going to eat those days up quick!
3Bsnag

by The Farm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am

You are absolutely correct about the HS games not counting towards the 50 total days. The problem is that the college season is going on at the same time as the HS season therefore it makes it difficult to get out to watch games other than on possibly an off day for the college.

You may also be right about the camps but I thought they still counted unless the coach was actually conducting the camp. Obviously this would be the case if the camp were on campus, but if a coach comes to a camp you are hosting and is only an observer, then I was under the impression that day would count against him/her. If you pay that same coach to come work your camp, it would not count against him/her. Not sure, but that was the way I took it when explained to me.

Either way, you are right about the 50 day total not seeming like enough to recruit. They have to do their homework and make the best of their time away from campus. It's very unlikely to see some random coach just hanging out at a weekend tournament in SB like you see in BB.
The Farm

by ECSB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

A coach told me that if rain is predicted, they skip that day for recruiting. Because if they show up and watch one game, then it rains out, it still counts as a recruiting day and they don't want to risk it when the number of days is limited.

So if it is an iffy weather day, don't expect a lot of coaches.
ECSB

Return to College Recruiting