Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Recruiting rule check

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by Daddylawman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:21 am

DD is a 2013 grad. One of the schools she is showing early interest in is playing a college tournament locally. If my DD is the one to approach the coach, can the coach have a conversation with her?

If not, since I help coach her travel team, am I allowed to speak to the coach?

Thanks
Daddylawman

by hit4power » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

What classification is the school? D1, D2, D3, NAIA, Juco??
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Daddylawman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 am

Sorry DI

But I'd like to know for DIII also.
Daddylawman

by jonriv » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:42 am

Junior Year - Sept 1st:
Coaches may send athletes recruiting letters, emails, instant messages, text messages and information about the athletic program. Coaches may not call prospects until after July 1 (Div I) or June 15 (Div II). Players may call or email coaches, but coaches cannot return these calls until these dates.

July 1st after Junior Year:
In person, face-to-face contacts can begin
- a Division I college is allowed three total
off-campus contacts with a prospect
during her senior year in high school.
Coaches may only call prospects once
each week, and these calls include
conversations with any family members.
Be sure to keep your NCAA Clearinghouse
and Amateurism information updated.

Hope this helps- I think that unless you are on the school's campus, the most your DD can do is say "Hi" As your daughters coach you are in a gray area. Best thing to do would be to introduce yourself and let them know who/what you are to the coach- they will let you know if it is ok or not
Senior Year -
First Day Classes:
On-campus official visits may begin. You are limited to five official visits expense paid visits at five different institutions. A coach is allowed unlimited telephone calls during the five days before an official visit to a campus. Coaches are also allowed unlimited telephone calls during the day of a home visit.
National Letter of Intent Early Signing begins the 2nd Wednesday in Nov. of Senior year. Late Signing begins the 2nd Wednesday in April of Senior year.
jonriv

by CheckWriter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:59 pm

I think a wave "hi" is about it, not necessarily because of rules but because they are focused on the games. Getting in their path once so they know you came out to watch, is probably all you would need or want to do in that situation.

JMO
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm

But I'd like to know for DIII also.

The link below is a handy guide to DIII recruiting rules

http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/nadiiiaa/Resource%20Documents/d3_off-campus_rec_guide.pdf

I also concur with the advice from CheckWriter that beyond letting the coach know you are there I wouldn't try to force a conversation. He/She is not there to recruit and beyond a nice Howdy and Good Luck I don't think you accomplish much that's positive.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Any rule against or limitations on a recruit or her parents calling a D1 coach prior to their junior year?

Hope not because we called a coach before spawn's junior year. The coach was at the exposure tournament we were at, watching my kid, and we were standing about 15 or 20 feet away from her. When she answered the coach laughed and waved.

Squirrely Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:31 pm

You can call any time you want. I think (too lazy to look it up) there may be a couple of true dead periods, NLI signing weeks? They may politely tell you they can't talk and give you a good time to call them back, but relatively speaking, the only limit on DD calling them is demonstrating "psycho-ness" by calling too often.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:33 am

The TBcoach/daughter thing is... edgy. I would walk up to the college coach, hand her/him a roster, thank them in 5 secondsor less and the get outta town.

Then.... then... I would have DD write AND email the coach opening up with "my dad is the coach and didn't know if it was ok to talk with you (although he wanted to). My bio and school academic background is included as I am really interested in your school.... blah, blah, blah"..... Use it as a ice-breaker. Write the asst coach too.

But, I don't know much so others probably have "the true poop". I would just error on the side of being safe with no perceived.... perceived... violations.

If you were a parent-only you would likely be told to run from the fields and hide in the car. Almost. Not quite but almost. As a TBcoach/parent... a fine line...
fasterpitch92701

Return to College Recruiting