Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Academics or Softball Team

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by BenAround » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 pm

anonlooker wrote:
ontheblack wrote:I went thru the roster of one SoCal state uni and looked at just Jrs and Srs. Half were undeclared.

An undeclared senior... really? Is that common these days? That's pretty much akin to asking a 58 year old what they want to be when they grow up.

The NCAA has that nice commercial which states "Most of our student athletes will go pro in something other than their sport"....

What does the typical softball player go pro in? Does anyone know what are the most common degrees? Professional aspirations?

Communications Majors - Waste of time
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by ontheblack » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

With the previous Cal State Uni school I referenced, the bulk were liberal arts, including Womens Studies and Elem Ed. A few kinesiology, 1 nursing and I life science

At UCLA, the most frequently declared major of jr and Sr softball players is Sociology.

Sociology - 4
Architecture- 1
Poli Sci - 2 ( 1 want to be lawyer)
Psychobiology -1
History - 2
Anthropology -1
Psych - 1
physiological sciences - 1 (wants to be orthopedic)
undeclared - none

So based on this unscientific observation, some went for the education and others went for the softball.

The largest public uni in the US is Texas. Its a young team. The breakdown among Jr & Sr:
education/kinesiology
education
physical culture & sports major
health promotion
corporate communication
education
undeclared - none

UCSB -
Communication
pre-biology
sociology - 2
business econ
undeclared (2 sr, 1 jr)

UC Davis -
pre med
pysch - 3
art studio
exercise biology - 2 (usually means PT)
biological sciences - 2
Sociology
animal science (Davis has a great veterinary program)
ontheblack

by CrushersDad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

jonriv wrote:Which are you focusing on?

Would you rather a lousy team, but great academic school-(or vice versa)

Free Ride at a poor academic school or the ability to get into an Ivy League school?

The question asks what I am focusing on...

Giving my DD the oportunity to choose a great softball program or a great academic experience.
CrushersDad

by ontheblack » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:12 pm

I understood the question. I just thought putting out there a sampling of reality would be interesting. I doubt many parents on here would own up to spending bank on TB so their kid could play D1 softball and 3 years into it be undeclared or chasing a liberal arts degree - the college equivalent to the GED.

I think its telling that schools like Davis and UCLA have student athletes pursuing challenging majors. Meanwhile, the "party school" of SoCal and a Cal State school, while on different ends of the cost spectrum, have glaring similarities.

I also understand that not every high school female athlete with grades good enough to get at least a partial scholarship wants to pursue a career that requires a commitment that may put off a family, choosing instead something just as valuable to society and teach our 8 year olds.
ontheblack

by anonlooker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:22 pm

CrushersDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:Which are you focusing on?

Would you rather a lousy team, but great academic school-(or vice versa)

Free Ride at a poor academic school or the ability to get into an Ivy League school?

The question asks what I am focusing on...

Giving my DD the oportunity to choose a great softball program or a great academic experience.

Do you ever get the feeling when you're on HB that you're just banging your head against a wall? :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by fasterpitch92701 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

OK, I have bones to pick.

Anonlooker.... 58 ??? fifty eight ??? FIFTY EIGHT ???? geezzzz... I remember back then....

Blind Squirrel ... yes... marrying rich is acceptable. However, DD feels asking for a breakdown of net assets on the first date is inhibiting. I don't know why but I will do due diligence and get back to you.

Lastly; from a PM sent me... we need a contest. Name the state where the school resides for the US NEW's and Forbes schools listed. NO FAIR looking them up. Hint: Middlebury is not in North Dakota. But that's your only hint. Contest is run on the honor system (since we are all honorable)...
fasterpitch92701

by anonlooker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 pm

LOL. I would guess Connecticut, and probably spell it wrong??! :lol: :lol:

I have to edit this, just realized you meant every school on the list. :oops:

And after reviewing them... I'm sticking with Connecticut. And New York. New Jersey. Maryland. Massachusetts. California. Pennsylvania (some are easy lol). New Hampshire. North Carolina. Illinois. Virginia. Colorado. One misc. state in the northeast like Vermont or Rhode Island. More than that I'd have to cheat.

And 58, yeah, 3/4 done with it if you're shooting for 80, so kind of like a senior. Of course, I had a grandmother live to 96, so...
Last edited by anonlooker on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by ontheblack » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Mass has the most, followed by NY or PA.
ontheblack

by 90066DAD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 pm

ontheblack wrote:I understood the question. I just thought putting out there a sampling of reality would be interesting. I doubt many parents on here would own up to spending bank on TB so their kid could play D1 softball and 3 years into it be undeclared or chasing a liberal arts degree - the college equivalent to the GED.

A liberal arts degree can be one of the most valuable degrees that one may pursue. This is especially true if the degree were completed at a selective liberal arts college with small class sizes. Many of these colleges, such as Williams and Amherst, are increasing the number of courses taught in a 2 students to 1 professor tutorial setting based on the tutorials traditionally used at Oxford and Cambridge.

You need to understand that a liberal arts degree, which in modern times is generally inclusive of literature, languages, science, math, history and philosophy, provides great preparation for graduate studies (law, medicine, business, etc.) or other fields where "on the job" training is provided by the employer. The DD of a good friend of mine graduated last year from Carleton with a degree in English and philosophy and got hired by one of the top investment banking firms in the country at a 6 figure starting salary. The ability to read, reason, and write is of utmost importance in any field, and a liberal arts education is the best training ground to develop those skills.
90066DAD

by ontheblack » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:49 pm

This is especially true if the degree were completed at a selective liberal arts college with small class sizes. Many of these colleges, such as Williams and Amherst, are increasing the number of courses taught in a 2 students to 1 professor tutorial setting based on the tutorials traditionally used at Oxford and Cambridge.

I'll concede the above.
ontheblack

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting