Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Academics or Softball Team

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by jonriv » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Weslyan is Middletown- Wellesley is Ma
jonriv

by hit4power » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Davidson is in NC, another small lib arts school - they do have softball.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:43 pm

NESAC

2011 Softball East Division
Conf. Overall
Bates 0-0 0-0
Bowdoin 0-0 0-0
Colby 0-0 0-0
Trinity 0-0 0-0
Tufts 0-0 0-0

2011 Softball West Division
Conf. Overall
Amherst 0-0 0-0
Hamilton 0-0 0-0
Middlebury 0-0 0-0
Wesleyan 0-0 0-0
Williams 0-0 0-0

Nice collection of schools!!
jonriv

by jonriv » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:46 pm

NEWMAC

Babson
Clark
Coast Guard
MIT
Smith
Springfield
Wellesley
Wheaton
WPI

All fileds under snow with more on the way
jonriv

by SoftballSoccerDad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:21 am

fasterpitch92701 wrote:I didn't check to see ratios of how many students were "Communications" or "Sports Management" or "Sports Medicine" majors.

In 1990, I laughed at people who had those silly majors you named. I thought the future belonged to computer scientists and those who were in pre-professional degree programs.

Their choices don't seem so funny anymore as those fields have exploded and they typically had a lot more 'fun' during college than the rest of us.

Academics here, though.
SoftballSoccerDad

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 am

From Wiki (they write better than I do....)

The New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) is a Division III athletic conference, consisting of eleven highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities located in New England and New York. Often referred to as the "Little Ivies", most of the schools have competed against one another since the 19th century.

The idea for such an athletic conference originated with an agreement among Amherst College, Bowdoin College, Wesleyan University and Williams College drafted in 1955.[1] In 1971 Bates College, Colby College, Hamilton College, Middlebury College, Trinity College, Tufts University, and Union College joined on and NESCAC was officially formed. Today's sustaining members include all the original members but Union, which withdrew in 1977 and was replaced by Connecticut College in 1982.

NESCAC schools share a similar philosophy for intercollegiate athletics. The Conference was created out of a concern for the direction of intercollegiate athletic programs and remains committed to keeping a proper perspective on the role of sport in higher education. Member institutions believe athletic teams should be representative of school's entire student bodies and hew to NCAA Division III admissions and financial policies prohibiting athletic scholarships while awarding financial aid solely on the basis of need.[2] Due to the prestigious reputations of its member schools, the NESCAC is able to attract many of the most athletically and intellectually gifted student-athletes in the country.

NESCAC members stress that intercollegiate athletic programs should operate in harmony with the educational mission of each institution. Schools are committed to maintaining common boundaries to keep athletics strong yet in proportion to their overall academic mission.
fasterpitch92701

by jonriv » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:58 am

About the NEWMAC

The New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) is an association of ten selective academic institutions that are committed to providing high quality competitive athletic opportunities for student-athletes within an educational and respectful environment that embodies the NCAA Division III philosophy.

The NEWMAC was established in 1998, when the former New England Women's 8 Conference (NEW 8) voted to begin sponsoring conference play and championships for men. At this time, the conference expanded its membership to include Springfield College and the United States Coast Guard Academy.

The NEW 8 began play in 1985-86 as the New England Women's 6 Conference (NEW 6). Charter members were Babson College, Brandeis University, MIT, Smith College, Wellesley College and Wheaton College. Mount Holyoke College and WPI joined in 1988 and the name was changed to the NEW 8 Conference. At the conclusion of the 1994-95 academic year, Brandeis University withdrew from the NEW 8 to join the University Athletic Association and Clark University accepted membership, keeping the NEW 8's membership at eight institutions.

from the NEWMAC website
jonriv

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am

Jonriv... from my warped and tainted perspective... on a totally different sport.... NCAA D1 football. Stanford did well. As I watched a bowl game or two I pondered and wondered "suppose someone determined the average SAT scores of athletes on each team... ". They had every other possible stat, from shoe size to breakfast menu's and whether they picked their nose with their left or right hand. Having 2250 SATS may... get you into Stanford. Just ONCE I would like some talking head annoucer to say "and the defensive line averages 6"4", 261 pounds, average SAT's of 2190 with a team GPA average of 3.78 as most are are majoring in quantum physics". I might wait awhile for that one. Holding breath.

At the Stanford softball field (Boyd Stadium) when they have intro's and meet the team stuff... giving bio's, the softball players majors are a bit interesting; Architectual Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, pre-med... geeezzzzz.... with a long, long schedule they must do nothing but read on buses and airplanes. It's got to be h-a-r-d.
fasterpitch92701

by jonriv » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am

Jonriv... from my warped and tainted perspective... on a totally different sport.... NCAA D1 football. Stanford did well. As I watched a bowl game or two I pondered and wondered "suppose someone determined the average SAT scores of athletes on each team... ". They had every other possible stat, from shoe size to breakfast menu's and whether they picked their nose with their left or right hand. Having 2250 SATS may... get you into Stanford. Just ONCE I would like some talking head annoucer to say "and the defensive line averages 6"4", 261 pounds, average SAT's of 2190 with a team GPA average of 3.78 as most are are majoring in quantum physics". I might wait awhile for that one. Holding breath.

At the Stanford softball field (Boyd Stadium) when they have intro's and meet the team stuff... giving bio's, the softball players majors are a bit interesting; Architectual Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, pre-med... geeezzzzz.... with a long, long schedule they must do nothing but read on buses and airplanes. It's got to be h-a-r-d.

I do not know how they do it, but I guess it prepares them for a life of multi tasking!!

It would be nice if they did focus on the academics of the athletes(I know some NCAA commercials do) since the vast majority of college athletes never play professionally
jonriv

by 3'sDad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 am

Imagine how the student/athletes at the service academies multi-task to prepare for their classes and sports. These over-achievers give the phrase "student-athlete" a great definition.
3'sDad

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting