Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

College scholorships

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by anonlooker » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:25 pm

90066DAD wrote:
anonlooker wrote:If you inquire to schools about the availability of scholorships, you probably won't get many replies. Jus sayin'

But you might get a kind reminder to use spellcheck! :mrgreen:

Haha! I was getting concerned. ;)
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by absdad » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:41 am

Very informative thread.

Someone posted the positions in regards to need/% of monies. On the pecking order of "need", where would would a fast slapper fit in? I see where alot of the big D1 and D2's average about 2, maybe 3, on their roster. That seems to shrink to 1 rostered slapper in D3 and NAIA. I haven't fully looked at every school's roster, but just from brief looks.

DD is a catcher, and slapper. Wondering where in the grand scheme of things (assuming she has the talent), her desirability would be. I'm starting to see at her age, that a few coaches seem to not want to have her as both. Wondering if the day will come, where she may have to make a decision. She's currently in 7th grade, but starting to really think ahead about her goals and plans for the future. And honestly, I don't think I've heard of a single collegiate catcher, who was also a slapper. Is there a place for someone who is both?
absdad

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Slappersdad wrote:3'sDad:

My DD's specifics are:
Sat 1590
ACT 24
Class rank 92 out of 970
GPA 3.85 cumulative through her Junior Year

Public Cal State school.

All monies except the athletic money is for 4 years (dependent on keeping the grades at the expected level). The athletics money could go up to $5,000.00 year to year based on performance and need.

Again, hope this information helps shed some light on real world recruiting.

Thanks Slappersdad for sharing. For those of us are haven't been there, your experience is very enlightening. Very cool to have multiple offers in multiple divisions. Can I ask if the offer accepted guaranteed playing time or is that taken for granted when they offer up the full ride? I have a friend who's son's baseball scholarship was based upon starting as a freshman. He didn't take it and went pro instead. Just wondered if it was similar for the girls.

You must be very proud and looking forward to seeing those college games in the future!
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3Bsnag » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 am

absdad wrote:...DD is a catcher, and slapper. Wondering where in the grand scheme of things (assuming she has the talent), her desirability would be. I'm starting to see at her age, that a few coaches seem to not want to have her as both. Wondering if the day will come, where she may have to make a decision. She's currently in 7th grade, but starting to really think ahead about her goals and plans for the future. And honestly, I don't think I've heard of a single collegiate catcher, who was also a slapper. Is there a place for someone who is both?

Mississippi State and Team USA

I get where you are going though. Have been told many times that coaches like "big" catchers.
3Bsnag

by Lefty's Dad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 am

3Bsnag wrote:
absdad wrote:...DD is a catcher, and slapper. Wondering where in the grand scheme of things (assuming she has the talent), her desirability would be. I'm starting to see at her age, that a few coaches seem to not want to have her as both. Wondering if the day will come, where she may have to make a decision. She's currently in 7th grade, but starting to really think ahead about her goals and plans for the future. And honestly, I don't think I've heard of a single collegiate catcher, who was also a slapper. Is there a place for someone who is both?

Mississippi State and Team USA

I get where you are going though. Have been told many times that coaches like "big" catchers.

absdad...You never know what your daughter will look like in a few years. As a 7th grade Catcher, mine was fairly tall for her age, thin, pretty fast compared to the rest of the girls her age. She was a slapper for the most part because of that. As she got older and grew things changed. She still catches, more so now than ever before. She's almost 17 now, 5'8" about 150 (apparently a desirable size for college coaches). Once she hit High School her size grew and her speed slowed. She's still right at 3.0 (H to 1st) but that's not quick enough to be a slapper at this age. Now she's a left handed power hitter and to be honest, about every 3rd coach that I've spoken with has said they are looking for a left handed power hitter. My point is, I thought the same way you did when she was that age, you never know what's going to happen in 4-5 years.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by watchtonsofsoftball » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:12 am

I have been around 4 different players here in the past 2 months who have all got full rides. Here is the deal, athletically they didnt get that. These were all D1 kids in which the school really wanted them. They told the players that they would get the money athletically at a fraction and whatever was left they would get academically. They do the leg work for you , if you are good enough. They will find you grants/scholarships, etc available to women in sports. Another thing to consider. The girls who stay in california get a smaller athletic scholarship because of the talent pool. If you are wanting to go to Indiana or something like that, 70-80 percent athletic is normal. They know as a parent you will have to travel more to see your girl play. They also know that california,texas and florida has the best talent and they need to draw those girls. Hence the better percentage for out of state girls. The thing that is missing is most girls get the full ride from academic money. If they want your girl bad enough they will try to get the most academic money and whatever is left they will pull from athletic to get your girl signed. I also knew a girl/family who went to a decent D2 school who got 50% and nothing more. To be honest she wasnt a great player, very average at best. So there is something for everybody. Just remember that. If you do your work , you will get SOMETHING! Of course the DD has to do her work too. I did most if not all the leg work for my DD. Mine was a SS / D1 school down in so cal and got a full ride but 60% percent athletic the rest in academic money , etc. Everything so far has been covered. I personally haven't seen 4 year scholarships, from my experience it is year to year and you earn it each year. I come out of pocket for normal spending money stuff.
watchtonsofsoftball

by PLCSara » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:24 pm

In our experience, we have seen that the players who play up the middle, such as catchers, pitchers, shortstops, and center fielders are the ones who receive the most. Colleges coaches are always looking for power hitters, quick slappers, and some who is agile on the field.

http://powerlineconsulting.net/
dream*train*succeed
Sara Hayes

Power Line Athletics, Inc
PO Box 1060
Cardiff, CA 92007
http://powerlineathletics.net

Serving our softball community since 2008!
PLCSara
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRaceGirl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 pm

I too have a DD who is a lefty slapper. Was a righty til 12U travel ball, when her speed had them switch her to the left and try to slap. She switch hit for awhile, but then, she got to the point where she wasn't hitting for squat on either side, and chose to remain strictly a lefty.

Alot of big schools don't play "small ball" and from the top to the bottom of their line up can go yard. If you're not hitting over the fence, alot of them aren't looking.

In the last year, we've ramped up her strength and conditioning, and both her HS and TB coach have let her powerhit almost half the time. She plays a solid CF defensively, and always has, and maybe, the change is coming just because she's a 2012, and this is the time that things get more active, but I definitely think that since she started hitting for power from the left, we've gotten more interest.

She never had issue with slapping, saying she had her "role" and she did it well - until players with bigger sticks, but lesser grades and defensive skills started getting the offers.

This whole recruiting process will drive you to drink......lol. It consumes you, trying to keep every door open for them, and give them as much opportunity to see different schools and make an educated choice based on the whole package.

At some point (and I'm not sure I'm exactly there yet....) you just have to say that you've done the legwork and everything happens for a reason and things will work themselves out.
"Sometimes the only thing fair in life is a ball hit between first and third."
DirtyRaceGirl

Previous

Return to College Recruiting