Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

College scholorships

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by dodgerblue » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:05 pm

As much as I hear it you would think that everyone is getting a full ride or that's what they say. Shoot I'll take half the ride and we can make up the rest with good grades hopefully. :?
dodgerblue

by jonriv » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Any funding is good, but the better the school even better. There is life after softball.
jonriv

by pvsportsfan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:58 pm

dodgerblue wrote:Tell me about it, I think with all the money I spent on traveling, due's, gas, family sacrifices I think that i could of just saved that money and paid for the damn tuition myself.

Ditto that!

Softball is an "equivalency" sport per NCAA rules (resulting in partial scholies). There are other non-revenue sports (football and men's basketball are revenue sports), that are considered "head count" sports in which the student gets the full scholie that isn't shared with other students. For example, women's tennis is one. One of my DDs has selected tennis as the sport to pursue at a high level, and the good, older girls there expect to get full rides. And we know many who get full-ride D1 scholies. (Amazing -- it's a smaller pool of tennis players with a higher percentage who get scholies compared to softball.) My DD who selected softball has a tougher route, but she's not thinking about college scholarships anyway; this is just for fun.

Here's a related thought. Your DD can use her softball skills to get accepted into one of the military academies. No matter the position, it will definitely be a 100% full scholie!
pvsportsfan

by TXfastpitchsoftball » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:03 pm

While I have the utmost respect for Aradi, I'm not sure this often-quoted line was really researched or just her own perspective. Most likely Div. I candidates for not being fully funded are schools without a footbal program.

And even Div. I programs that are not fully funded have 6-10 of the 12 allowed scholarships, which still allows a coach to build a 12- to 14-man roster with most players on 50- to 80-percent plus scholarship and the remainder on some partial.

It is all how the coach believes he can build a team. I know of 1 Div. school that is fully funded who carries twelve 100-percent scholarship players. Everyone else is a walk-on. Be wary of any program that has an athletic director who demands the softball coach carry 20-plus players on scholarship.

In short, I agree that the misconception by many players and parents is that everyone gets a full-ride. The reality is the 50-percent offer is average. Any offer in the 80-percent range is great especially for a non-pitcher.
TXfastpitchsoftball

by jonriv » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Perhaps as you mentioned before it is a regional thing as well. My guess as the SEC tries to make a statement it's programs are fully funded. The Big Ten and its network would suggest the same. My statements were base on my own experience and the experiences of friends of ours. Our family's goal has always been- if softball gets you into a school you might not get into otherwise- that is great! I want to make sure that my DD is a STUDENT/athlete. I would prefer a great school with a lousy softball team than the reverse. Those "elite eastern liberal arts schools" have a way of translating into lucrative careers.
jonriv

by onedownonetogo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:37 pm

jonriv wrote:. . . I would prefer a great school with a lousy softball team than the reverse. Those "elite eastern liberal arts schools" have a way of translating into lucrative careers.

I'll bet you've never suffered through a bad Div. III game, and wait until she plays her way into Harvard only to tell you that she'll be majoring in social work. :lol:
onedownonetogo

by Igivefreedom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:39 pm

:D Stop asking question go directly to the main source ask then questions don't be afraid to do so. The answers to all your questions are in this website talk to then. :oops:
GOOD LUCK!!!!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... holarships
Igivefreedom

by onedownonetogo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Igivefreedom wrote::D Stop asking question go directly to the main source ask then questions don't be afraid to do so. The answers to all your questions are in this website talk to then. :oops:
GOOD LUCK!!!!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... holarships

Dont see where it lists schools that are fully funded or what average scholarships awarded in softball are. Let me know which link its under please. Thank you for this link. Very helpful.
onedownonetogo

by pvsportsfan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:54 pm

jonriv wrote: I would prefer a great school with a lousy softball team than the reverse. Those "elite eastern liberal arts schools" have a way of translating into lucrative careers.

I hear you. Not sure how it's implemented but I understand Ivy League schools don't like to say they give athletic scholarships, yet they recruit kids to play in their teams --- and the coaches have a big influence in admissions (the kid still needs to get good grades, etc.). Then, they will provide financial support to make it happen --- with a mix of financial aid: grants, loans, etc.

So, if the coaches want you, they help get you admitted (it's still on YOU, however), and provide a financial aid package although they may not like to call it "athletic" scholarship. Hey, even if you major in social work or whatever, it's big-time in graduating from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, etc. that carries over in the work world (not guaranteed, of course; nothing ever is). There were a couple of girls locally who got in at Princeton and Columbia (tennis) but there was one a few years ago who got into Penn because of softball. That's big-time.
pvsportsfan

by Slappersdad » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Here's the real skinny from my DD (above average player with good speed, great defensive ability, above average offense and a very hard worker) that just committed to a NAIA.

D1 most have money but how much to spread around??? And how much is it to actually go to their school. Unless your DD is the in the top 10% of the county the offer wont be 100% athletic.
D2 has very little money to spread around and will throw a majority of their money on the top 3 players/recruits. The rest of the team will get either partial money or use their grades to pay for the education.
NAIA is across the board. Some private have lots of money and will spend it. Some are newer/smaller schools that trying to move up and have a little money.

Here's the (Reality) bottom line we and most of our friends were faced with.
First and foremost the most activity (even with perfect letters, schedules, teams and coaches) for most players that are seriously recruited and are offered something, happens during the time between the summer between their junior and senior year.

D1 offers had roughly $12,000.00 in athletic money, $12,000.00 in academic money and the remaining $10,000 to 15,000.00 was coming from some where else. Parents, outside scholarships, student loans, etc... (3) offers to date

D2 offers had roughly $500.00 to $5,000.00 to offer athletically. The remaining money was made up of academic and scholarship money but the schools were much more affordable. $13,500.00 to $21,000.00 total. (2) offers to date.

NAIA offers were all over the board. Some very expensive to attend, that combined different levels of money to equate to about 75% to 85% of the final money needed. Some very affordable that were combining athletics with academics to equate to no money out of pocket.

Our DD spent a lot of time researching, visiting, and talking with the prospective coaches. Her final decision was to go NAIA (They are moving to D2 within the next year) because, the school had her major and was very well respected in it, it's location was very desirable, she had an immediate connection with the coach and the school. Our benefit as parents was to get her into a great school. At the end of the day the financial breakdown was $4,000.00 in athletic money, $8,000.00 in academic money and just over $3,000.00 in outside scholarship money. The entire cost to go to this school is about $14,000.00 (room, board, tuition, and books). She has a surplus of $1,000.00 for parking permits, spacial activities and other things that just come up.

Hope this helps those parents that are stressed out about the process. Relax and keep working through the process. Most often than not, the best solution presents itself in a timely manner. Stay positive and let your DD be your partner.
Slappersdad

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting