Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Starting salaries for college grads

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by exD1dad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:23 am

Interesting read debunking the Ivy myth (look Jonriv Babson :D )

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... ng-salary/
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 am

Certain bodes well for the Tech schools and makes me very glad my son is an engineering major! :D
I guess I can also use this to try to get my DD to us $$$ back after she graduates(but I am not counting on it)

Three of the schools listed are in my DD's conference

Seriously- anyone looking at schools ith their kids should utilize all the lists (Money, US News & World report, Princeton Review etc....) They each have different perspectives and help to make an educated and informed choice. Just a note, SUNY Maritime(which is at Ft Schuyler just underneath the Throggs Neck Bridge) is a state school, out of state tuition is still only $16k- making it the bargain

My Dad has two phrases he likes to us "Buy cheap, get cheap" and "It's worth the money if it's worth the money"
jonriv

by jonriv » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 am

Happy to report that DD has landed a job after she graduates. She accepted the best of the five offers she received :) This as she said will allow her to relax and enjoy her final softball season :( All of her fellow seniors have post graduate jobs and all of her suitemates have also found employment. DD will be working for a major financial firm(the same one she interned at the past two summers and falls) for a substantial amount of compensation(She fell in the middle among her peers)

The school she goes to has a great record of landing graduates jobs and many corporations actively recruit on campus. She is also still in close contact with many of her former teammates who are working in the Boston area. Being a DIII athlete gave her a chance to be a student too and allowed her the time needed for the internships that were key to her future. Softball was a means to an end. Softball was key to getting into a school she would not have gotten into and gave her the confidence perform once in the workplace.(job interviews are easier after all the coaches interviews and playoff games!)

Pick schools that will allow softball to reach her goals-don't make softball the goal. There is a school for everyone and one-size does not fit all. Don't get caught up in the scholarship or bust wave- find the right combination that will get your daughter to what she wants to do for the rest of her life. JMO
jonriv

by exD1dad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 am

Congrats to your DD Jonriv!!!! Think of the million+ college grads that can't even get a decent job. Meanwhile yr DD's Babson Col teammates & suite mates are beating the odds big time :D
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:12 am

Maybe she'll pay us back the tuition??? ;)
jonriv

by as the world turns » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Good for your daughter! I have researched Babson and they certainly do what they claim to do.
I think the two best choices in college selection are in the DIII and DI divisions. Very few fall in DII and the NAIA.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by McGee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:44 am

All colleges listed are highly selective institutions where academics, high test scores and extracurricular activites are the standard. Employeerrs know that graduates from these institution, on average, are at the top of the pyramid in terms of ability and achievement.
Other universities also produce top performers but those that come from this pool of high performers are generally better bets all thing remaining equal.
The moral to the story is chose the best school possible in terms of interests and academic excellence. For softball players, this could mean a top D3 school offers the best combination of academics, employability and sports.
Propective players shouls take a hard look at the academic, graduation and employment record of the schools they are considering and chose a school the offers the best combination of these facctors.
McGee

by exD1dad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:05 pm

In a perfect world McGee that would happen. I don't believe any girl that verbals before she even takes her SAT's looks at any of the stats you mention. Sad? yes, but my opinion of all the DD's is they want to play ball at the next level & lets face the fact that there are only so many slots to be filled & therefore a lot of girls go where the opportunity is
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McGee » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:22 pm

You are right, the world is not perfect but it is clear to me that schools verbaling girls in middle school and/or before they take the SAT aren't really interested in the academic interests of the individual. It is not much olack of focus on the needs of the girls generally continue at many of these schools. It is not much of a stretch to believe that these schools will continue to focus on the value of kids at players and set their academic interests to the side.
McGee

by exD1dad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Then again in today's economy there's the starting salary of $0 which if a school doesn't care about academics that's what you get, sometimes. It does contradict untold number of testimonials from this website but I think the truth is like DD's that get de-committed where we don't really know the real number because like a confidentiality agreement, people keep their mouths shut because they have no choice whether it's to save face or not get sued!.

McGee I understand going to a school to play a sport, I chose James Madison over Mich St because MS had 2 All Americans in my projected weight classes that were a Fosh & a Soph & I didn't want to sit & watch. Like any Baby Boomer I wanted better (which may or may not be different) for my kids than I had.

A HB DD in the 8th grade just verballed to play with her sister. This is the exception, not the rule. Plus my cousin is the Asst AD at South Carolina so I know she'll be in good hands :D
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting