Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

College coordinators kid's

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by yosoftball18 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 pm

I am the college coordinator for my daughter's 14u team. I was told by a coach on our gold team and a college coach that I can talk to colleges about my own kid since I am the college contact for the team. My head coach doesn't think so. He says another member of the staff has to talk to coaches about my kid. Who is right? :?:
yosoftball18
Premium Member
Premium Member

by yosoftball18 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:20 pm

10-4 thanks.
yosoftball18
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Sounds like the OP's coach is going by the NCAA regs and the experienced coaches by reality.

I'd recommend disclosing up front if it's your kid and let the college coach decide how they want to handle it.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by yosoftball18 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 am

Planned on doing that just in case. thanks
yosoftball18
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Michele@PowerLine » Thu May 15, 2014 5:56 pm

I agree with PDad.

The only NCAA Division I sport that specifically prohibits this kind of contact by the parent or legal guardian of a prospective student-athlete who serves on the staff of his or her daughter's nonscholastic team is women's basketball.
See NCAA Division I rule 13.1.5.4.1
Besides that, it is up to you to be professional enough to not use that position to promote your daughter, but to be upfront with college coaches that your daughter is on the roster. The coaches know the rules and the limitations. They should help guide you to stay within the limits of NCAA rules.
Michele@PowerLine

by WhoMe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am

It's a good question and one I had to face. No issues but agree with disclosing it up front. I always told the coach right off the bat when showing them the team profile that a) I have a kid on the team (I pointed out which one on profile) b) if they had questions about her I could answer them or, if they felt more comfortable, I could bring a coach over to discuss.

This usually worked well and rarely did they ask for a coach.

Also agree, do not oversell or undersell, treat them like every other player and you will be fine.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Shouldn't be a problem and is actually quite common for a coach or coordinator to have a kid on a team at the younger ages. They all talk to coaches.
As a word of caution don't be a cheerleader for your kid and don't under promote kids that play the same position.

In the large organizations is it common at 14U to have a dedicated College Coordinator or does the head coach (or other coaches)typically handle that responsibility?
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Recruiting