Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

PAC-12 Adopts Reform Package

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by PDad » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:03 pm

I ran across this and was surprised I hadn't heard about it - Pac-12 universities adopt sweeping reforms for student-athletes, guaranteeing scholarships, improving health care, and more.

PAC-12 STUDENT-ATHLETE REFORM PACKAGE

(i) Guaranteeing four-year scholarships that can neither be reduced nor canceled provided the student-athlete remains in good standing and meets his/her terms of the agreement. Effective in 2015-16, all financial aid agreements offered to incoming student-athletes will be multi-year agreements for no less than four academic years.

(ii) Financially supporting student-athletes who do not graduate in four years and return to school to complete their degrees. Effective 2016-17, if a student-athlete departs the institution in good standing and has completed a reasonable portion of their degree (50%), the student-athlete can return and receive necessary educational expenses for the remaining terms of the agreement.

(iii) Enhancing medical support for both current and former student-athletes. Effective in 2015-16, Conference schools will be required to provide direct medical expenses for documented athletically related injuries to former student-athletes for a period of four years after separation from the team or institution.

(iv) Liberalizing Transfer Rules within the Conference. The CEOs approved elimination of the financial aid penalty of the intra-conference transfer rule. Effective immediately, a student-athlete who transfers between Pac-12 institutions can receive an athletic scholarship from the second school without restriction, provided he or she is otherwise eligible to receive the aid.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Effective in 2015-16, all financial aid agreements offered to incoming student-athletes will be multi-year agreements for no less than four academic years.

I expect this will have major impacts on recruiting.

- Are PAC-12 coaches renegotiating and/or adjusting 2016+ verbal amounts being since they will all be for 4 years?

- Will this affect making new early commitments?

- What about current student-athletes when their agreements come up for renewal?

- Coaches won't have much flexibility once all the players are on a 4-yr deal.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:29 pm

I think this is huge. It will definitely affect early recruiting, IMO. And it could very well put the PAC-12 at a disadvantage, at least depth wise. They will still get their share of 4 star studs, but may not be willing to give as many scholarships to the "bubble" players.

As for the medical - I wonder if there will be exceptions for those that go pro. If they were good enough to get drafted and signed, the pro team should assume the medical liability.

And not sure about the 50% of their education part. If you have used your 4 or 5 year eligibility and still only have half your requirements to graduate, you haven;t show much interest in getting your education, again IMO.

Edited to add that I think the could have a big negative impact on the non-revenue sports.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:13 pm

PairOfAces wrote:I think this is huge. It will definitely affect early recruiting, IMO. And it could very well put the PAC-12 at a disadvantage, at least depth wise. They will still get their share of 4 star studs, but may not be willing to give as many scholarships to the "bubble" players.

As for the medical - I wonder if there will be exceptions for those that go pro. If they were good enough to get drafted and signed, the pro team should assume the medical liability.

And not sure about the 50% of their education part. If you have used your 4 or 5 year eligibility and still only have half your requirements to graduate, you haven;t show much interest in getting your education, again IMO.

Edited to add that I think the could have a big negative impact on the non-revenue sports.

This already in place at other Major conferences. For sure Big 12, Big 12 and SEC. I'm surprised it took this long for the Pac.
tbjd33

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:29 pm

The liberal transfer rules will help push the age down in recruiting. All around in current times this just seems a move in the right direction. Kids were much more aggressive about looking outside the conference for a new home. This allows those kids to consider in conference schools.

Agree multi-year will likely push coaches to look a bit harder at athletes. But honestly for the most part most of the pac-12 schools right now seem to be recruiting for the long term athlete. A 8 years ago a few of the schools tried the large roster just throw kids on and cut them if they do not work out approach. They have largely moved back to recruiting kids they feel will likely make the cut and contribute to the team. I think most of the athletes on AZ, UW, OU, Stanford, UCLA are all kids that can definitely make the team. That was not the case 5 years ago.

Even though the deal must be mult-year it still does not have to be a full ride. So they we will likely split down the scholarships a bit more 10% and 5%, for kids that are a bit more risky.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:02 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:The liberal transfer rules will help push the age down in recruiting. All around in current times this just seems a move in the right direction. Kids were much more aggressive about looking outside the conference for a new home. This allows those kids to consider in conference schools.

It certainly helps, although intra-PAC transfers MAY still have to sit a year and lose that year of eligibility.
Last edited by PDad on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:17 pm

tbjd33 wrote:This already in place at other Major conferences. For sure Big 12, Big 12 and SEC. I'm surprised it took this long for the Pac.

I call BS - show some proof. Make sure it's for all athletes, not just some.

BTW, PAC-12 passed this Oct 27.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:01 am

PDad wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:This already in place at other Major conferences. For sure Big 12, Big 12 and SEC. I'm surprised it took this long for the Pac.

#1 Big 12
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 26123.html
Last edited by tbjd33 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbjd33

by tbjd33 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:32 am

tbjd33 wrote:
PDad wrote:

#2 Big Ten
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... _secu.html
tbjd33

by tbjd33 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:35 am

tbjd33 wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
PDad wrote:

#2 Big Ten
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... _secu.html

#3 ACC
http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/in ... _ncaa.html
tbjd33

Next

Return to College Softball