Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Coaches need to know more

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:41 am

I was talking to some college coaches at my dd's fall game. Conversation was about recruiting in general. One of the observations of the coach was about how little tb coaches knew about their player' s academics. They were saying that most tb coaches were unaware of what their player'a intended majors were. They said it wasted everyone's time if the school did not even offer the major. Also in the case of specialty school( like Babson for business!) it is even more important. So for all you tb coaches out there, make sure you get at least a working knowledge of what your players academic stats and aspirations are
jonriv

by DonnieS » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:38 pm

For a lot, if not most kids, its nothing but a guess at that point, but I remember that DD1 major on starting college was "Nutritional Science". Now 18 college hours from the diploma, its coaching. DD2's major on starting college was "Saving Polar Bears" - in my presence (knowing it would piss me off) - out of my presence , it was kineseology. Now, beginning her third year of college , with two more to go, its Civil Engineering with a minor in Environmental Science (i.e. Saving polar bears) actually a double minor, the second, Pissing Dad Off.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Oufan22 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 am

Unfortunately how many 8th grade kids have any idea what they want to major in? :lol:
Oufan22

by Hurricane » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 pm

I thought it was the daughter's job to piss their dads off in front of them, then quietly do the right thing anyway. It's hard for them to admit dad was right all along. :D
Hurricane

by exD1dad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 pm

Coaches have enough to do, as long as they require GPA's to be 3.0 (so the kid can lose a pt when traveling in college) it should be the DD's job of researching majors if they even know.

Besides, there's plenty of great schools that you don't even need to declare your major until Junior year. North Carolina for example
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:31 am

The problem the coach was referring to was mostly regarding speciality schools(ie business, engineering etc...). The example the coach have was a tb coach pushing the player and the player was seeking to be an education major( the school is business only). The coaches point was that tb coaches should have at least a working knowledge of their players academics
jonriv

by tbjd33 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:44 pm

jonriv wrote:The problem the coach was referring to was mostly regarding speciality schools(ie business, engineering etc...). The example the coach have was a tb coach pushing the player and the player was seeking to be an education major( the school is business only). The coaches point was that tb coaches should have at least a working knowledge of their players academics

Isn't that a parenting issue?!?!

Nothing a simple google search can't help with. Right now with DD's it's the iPhone and all things boys that i see. This is from sobe of the most talented/recruited DD's around. Sad!
tbjd33

by jonriv » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Parent is not the one talking to the college coach at a showcase, it's the TB coach

I heard it from a coach and thought I would pass it on.....
jonriv

by DonnieS » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Hurricane wrote:I thought it was the daughter's job to piss their dads off in front of them, then quietly do the right thing anyway. It's hard for them to admit dad was right all along. :D

They are doing their job quite well - it doesnt seem to bother them whether I am there or not - pissing me off is the key.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:55 pm

jonriv wrote:The problem the coach was referring to was mostly regarding speciality schools(ie business, engineering etc...). The example the coach have was a tb coach pushing the player and the player was seeking to be an education major( the school is business only). The coaches point was that tb coaches should have at least a working knowledge of their players academics

Hard to tell whether the coach isn't familiar with his player's aspirations or that the generic-sounding college is a specialty school. I hope the Babson coaches don't expect all the TB coaches to know they're strictly a business school.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to College Softball