Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

NESCAC outlaws booing

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by Mark H » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Daddylawman,

Two girls I root for have made the Brown choice. :)

It's all about the fit.
Mark H

by Mark H » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Jonriv,

Interesting comment about Princeton and Penn. I've heard Dartmouth was considered the "conservative" Ivy? From what I saw the Dartmouth PC leaned a little more outdoor granola cruncher type and less Che Guevara perhaps than some of the others. I'd be curious what you have heard. I have no dog in the fight anymore (other than I really really want to see the girls who are there now that I know win) so I'm not defending a position. Just curious.
Mark H

by as the world turns » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:55 pm

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Mark H » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Yeah they do like their alcohol
Mark H

by jonriv » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:30 pm

as the world turns wrote:Conservative.......here is a good benchmark

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/19/dartmouth-drinking-culture_n_5352563.html

Dartmouth was the inspiration for the movie animal house. One of the writers had a series of articles from national lampoon magazine called pinto the pledge based on his time in Dartmouth. Remember Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if drinking is conservative or not????

Penn is home to the Wharton School of Business. As conservative a place as you can get. Penn was founded by Ben Franklin. Princeton is known for its dining clubs and some real conservative frats. Both cornell and Princeton have always maintained their rotc programs. For ny state residents, two of the colleges at Cornell are land grant schools and offer an Ivy League degree at discount rates

Brown is the most lefty of the ivies. They tried to ban columbus day( as insulting to native Americans) in the state with the highest percentage of Italians! It is close to excellent italian food on federal hill
jonriv

by Mark H » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Interesting. Thanks.

To be a little more accurate, it was a particular fraternity at Dartmouth that the movie was based on. I used to know the frat name and I believe the current or past Prez or some such was a frat member back in the day but the details have fuzzed.
Mark H

by exD1dad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:07 am

Pdad Cal & UCLA & all the UC's buy into the inflated GPA, look only at scores not curriculum & defiantly not anything close to the holistic approach to admissions(well rounded indiviuals not just bookworms) & if you're not an athlete you must have top scores, period, UC Santa Barbara for decades the "party school" of the UC system has over 4.0 average GPA as well a UC San Diego another highly ranked Cali bastion of higher learning. Competition is more fierce for admission to good schools than for TB players trying to get verballed to a Dll

ATWT where did you go to college? How about your wife? kids? parents? How many people do you actually know that went to an Ivy? just wondering as these answers will tell alot about why you have your opinions. I doubt you'll answer.

fasterpitch92701 welcome back, shooting from the hip with truth .... well done
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:44 am

Grade inflation seems to be just about everywhere. College prowler is great place to find that out, especially those without!

HS gpa inflation becomes evident( or at least considered) when there is inconsistency between sat/act scores and gpa
jonriv

by PDad » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:35 am

exD1dad wrote:Pdad Cal & UCLA & all the UC's buy into the inflated GPA, look only at scores not curriculum & defiantly not anything close to the holistic approach to admissions(well rounded indiviuals not just bookworms) & if you're not an athlete you must have top scores, period, UC Santa Barbara for decades the "party school" of the UC system has over 4.0 average GPA as well a UC San Diego another highly ranked Cali bastion of higher learning. Competition is more fierce for admission to good schools than for TB players trying to get verballed to a Dll

The fact this was posted at 12:07 am explains a lot. Reminds me of a Stones song...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:43 am

jonriv wrote:Grade inflation seems to be just about everywhere. College prowler is great place to find that out, especially those without!

HS gpa inflation becomes evident( or at least considered) when there is inconsistency between sat/act scores and gpa

How about grade inflation in colleges? This study found it is more prevalent at private schools than public - http://www.gradeinflation.com/.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball