Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

NESCAC outlaws booing

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
jonriv wrote:
Stupid comment, especially if you knew anything about the NESCAC. This is a conference of very highly competitive schools with a very wealthy(ie conservative) students. This conference is full of type a competitive students and parents. I am sure this was not some feel-good move, but a way of toning down what was prolly some out of control nasty crowd. In the clubby, private. School atmosphere of these schools that kind of behavior is neither expected of tolerated.. As PDad pointed out, there were many other parts of the letter. There attitude at these schools if you don't want act properly, go to state school :D

Haha Awesome. Hey AI, I bet you had no idea that Mr. Humblebrag would go apeshit over this thread. ;)

Agree. Awesome. Now he is firing away posts endlessly. You would think he would eventually give up on us unwashed masses, right. Does he not see how you punch yourself in the face? No point in discussing civility with that kind of action taking place.

Tried to wade through his babble. Could you cliff note it for me? I think after several pages of what for's and how to's he still has not addressed why a few unruly's at a single event warranted the outlawing of booing. And why we should take anyone defending the outlawing of booing serious. Has he gotten to that yet?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:50 pm

jonriv wrote:You probably wear jeans and t shirts on the golf course too :D

Not only that but I would fish in the water hazard (a bass tank down here).
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Nothing wrong with a reminder of how to behave.
I had a PHD in obnoxious back in 14u. It wasn't poor sportsmanship just banter. I was never insulting to other teams and would never yell while a play was being made.
With that said, last year I heard some very poor bantering and jeering.
An opposing teams butch girl friend was in the outfield area near where I sat. She crossed the line and I stood up and in my loud big boy voice yelled "YOU DON'T YELL THAT, IT IS WRONG, KNOCK IT OFF!"
It stopped for a few innings then started again, but this time she did not interfere with a catch or ball in play.
I don't mind the reminder rule as long is that is what it is.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 pm

I think Jonriv is absolutely correct, what he fails to tell you guys who describe yourselves as the "unwashed masses" is that these types of schools are so top heavy with administration they micro manage to a point which occasionally is too much. Here in California the state throws 3 times the money needed to the head of a college system just because she's a woman, ran a big government agency (not really that well IMHO) & who knows people but thats another thread

One of the points JR was trying to make (by including USMA) is that people who live by rules, succeed in life. West Point has the highest % of millionaires per capita than any college in the USA. I can tell you why, but that too is another thread too

If you want to sink to the lowest common denominator like the rest of society I say go right ahead, maybe you can post it online or even hit the big time & be on TMZ & get your 45 seconds of fame :lol: . These schools have standards that they try & instill in their students, & they try to both adhere to them & continue to expand them as they put young men & women into the world as contributing members of society.

Nothing wrong with playing softball for 4 years & getting a Exercise science degree from a major, nor is there anything wrong with getting a liberal arts degree, playing the game you love & moving on to post graduate work prior to becoming a professional in your chosen field.

By the way Donnie it's OK to fish in the water hazards with permission of the Greens keeper but only on Mondays :D
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
jonriv wrote:
Stupid comment, especially if you knew anything about the NESCAC. This is a conference of very highly competitive schools with a very wealthy(ie conservative) students. This conference is full of type a competitive students and parents. I am sure this was not some feel-good move, but a way of toning down what was prolly some out of control nasty crowd. In the clubby, private. School atmosphere of these schools that kind of behavior is neither expected of tolerated.. As PDad pointed out, there were many other parts of the letter. There attitude at these schools if you don't want act properly, go to state school :D

Haha Awesome. Hey AI, I bet you had no idea that Mr. Humblebrag would go apeshit over this thread. ;)

Agree. Awesome. Now he is firing away posts endlessly. You would think he would eventually give up on us unwashed masses, right. Does he not see how you punch yourself in the face? No point in discussing civility with that kind of action taking place.

Tried to wade through his babble. Could you cliff note it for me? I think after several pages of what for's and how to's he still has not addressed why a few unruly's at a single event warranted the outlawing of booing. And why we should take anyone defending the outlawing of booing serious. Has he gotten to that yet?

My point is that it appears most conferences and schools have similar rules(including the pac12). The nescac just includes booing as part of taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct. Is there really a need to boo at any college sporting event? They had a similar letter in 2011. It is not so much outlawing as it is a request for civil and polite behavior, why is that bad. They are saying if you wish to attend our games you expect a certain level of behavior(certainly sounds like the demise of western civilization).
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:30 am

jonriv wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
jonriv wrote:

My point is that it appears most conferences and schools have similar rules(including the pac12). The nescac just includes booing as part of taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct. Is there really a need to boo at any college sporting event? They had a similar letter in 2011. It is not so much outlawing as it is a request for civil and polite behavior, why is that bad. They are saying if you wish to attend our games you expect a certain level of behavior(certainly sounds like the demise of western civilization).

Nope, not arguing for a need for booing. This is where your classic over projection always gets you into trouble. First my DD is at a top 10 academic institution with a reputation for being very demanding in it's honor code.

I suspect the reason WestPoint is so successful is that they do have an honor code, and it is very well known that you don't do stupid crap. Yet, contrary to your assertions, they still have no ban on booing, and probably most games go by without booing.

To me, stating that there is a ban on booing just seems ludicrous. Of course booing can certainly cross a line, at which point it should be addressed. For me that all goes without anything else being said.

I am sure you have been at the grocery store and seen one of those events where that little impish boy is testing his mother. There was one where the boy was in a cart and grabbing everything he could and opening or throwing the item on the ground.

The mother was making this continuous whining noise. "Johnny if you don't put that back, you are in trouble" "Johnny if you touch one more thing you are in trouble" "Johnny, that's it if you do that one more time, we are going to put your favorite candy back". Clearly Johnny had little worry of anything happening.

Compare your ban on booing to an application of actual consequences and I suspect you will find the root of why West Point is successful. You don't have to have constant noise about what is allowed and what is not allowed. Parsing down to the level of boo. The fact that you are adding that language clearly tells me someone is not taking you very serious.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:56 am

Was not addressing the Honor Code with West Point(although I agree with it and your analysis of it) but to the Code of Conduct for Fans.

My reaction was to the connection made on this site and others that because of this letter suggesting a certain way of behaving they immediately connect it to the "everyone gets a trophy" movement which is absurd. Especially knowing the competive nature of these schools and that conference.

The letter did not outlaw or ban, but rather asked fans to refrain from "unsportsmanlike Activities" including "booing, taunting, profanity rude language or gestures" The only difference in this letter and policies like so many others mentioned previously was the direct mention of the word booing- probably because some pre-law a-hole said "it dosn't mention booing in the rules!" Do I think it needed to be said- no not really, but they obviously did. I guess you feel it is an overstep, I disagree. The letter kind of reminds of the type of letter you migh see at a beach or country club "Members are reminded to wear shirts at the snak bar" or "make sure you wear whites on the tennis court"...."No cell phones in public areas" ..... Again, I am not sure I see the big deal of the conference sending a letter to fans asking them that they behave like adults.
jonriv

by as the world turns » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Why does anyone really care what any Dlll pay-to-play league does? If you have ever watched this level of play, one would be booing a lot, therefore, the rule probably makes sense.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Real dumb ass comment world. You have obviously never seen the level of play of the NESCAC have you? Pay to play? Really
jonriv

by ontheblack » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:38 pm

jonriv wrote:
Nescac games are not like an ohio michigan football game. These are small schools with small facilities where fans and alumnae from both sides are just as likely to socialize with each other. They believe in strong and rigorous competition, but a strong focus on sportsmanship and civility- not sure what's wrong with that?

Then why the need for the rule?

Oh wait. It must be the new money crowd. When will these nouveau riche upstarts learn that money doesn't buy class?
ontheblack

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball