NESCAC outlaws booing

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by AlwaysImprove » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:02 pm

AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 am

Booing was only part of the ban.

"As a supporter, we ask you not engage in any unsportsmanlike actions, which include booing, taunting, profanity, rude language or gestures, or any other action that could be potentially construed as negative or confrontational," the NESCAC letter read.

Is booing the only part that is objectionable? What do you think of the following?

“The NCAA promotes proper sportsmanship by student-athletes, coaches and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Spectators are reminded that they are prohibited from entering the playing area or interfering with play. Profanity, racial, sexist or sexual comments, or intimidating actions, including baiting and taunting, directed at officials, student-athletes, coaches, spectators or team representatives will not be tolerated, and are grounds for removal from the site of competition."
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Spazsdad wrote:In related news the conference also announced that all teams in all sports will get "Most Bestest" trophies at the end of the season and all players will be Co MVPs .

Stupid comment, especially if you knew anything about the NESCAC. This is a conference of very highly competitive schools with a very wealthy(ie conservative) students. This conference is full of type a competitive students and parents. I am sure this was not some feel-good move, but a way of toning down what was prolly some out of control nasty crowd. In the clubby, private. School atmosphere of these schools that kind of behavior is neither expected of tolerated.. As PDad pointed out, there were many other parts of the letter. There attitude at these schools if you don't want act properly, go to state school :D
jonriv

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:34 pm

jonriv wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:In related news the conference also announced that all teams in all sports will get "Most Bestest" trophies at the end of the season and all players will be Co MVPs .

Stupid comment, especially if you knew anything about the NESCAC. This is a conference of very highly competitive schools with a very wealthy(ie conservative) students. This conference is full of type a competitive students and parents. I am sure this was not some feel-good move, but a way of toning down what was prolly some out of control nasty crowd. In the clubby, private. School atmosphere of these schools that kind of behavior is neither expected of tolerated.. As PDad pointed out, there were many other parts of the letter. There attitude at these schools if you don't want act properly, go to state school :D

I thought SpazsDad nailed it.

If it was some already happened nastiness it probably violated some already existing rules. Why not just take care of the rule violates using the existing rules? I have seen this handled a number of times at softball games.

The current NCAA rules seem to be more than adequate to handle these issues, i.e. the other parts of the letter. Instead these guys seemed to find a need to go out and write that specific ban, which included a ban on booing.

You can claim it is not mamby pamby, or no some feel-good, but if walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, don't be so surprised if others call it a duck.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:45 pm

I consider the source and make the assumption that something brought it up. Perhaps they needed to be that specific due to whatever the particular cause was.

Similar rules in the NEWMAC

http://www.newmacsports.com/information ... ip/conduct
jonriv

by Tyler Durden » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:05 pm

jonriv wrote:

Haha Awesome. Hey AI, I bet you had no idea that Mr. Humblebrag would go apeshit over this thread. ;)
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:50 pm

This thread should be in the Pub.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Not going apeshit. You guys are the ones with your panties in a wad because god forbid someone might have to act with some civility!

You probably wear jeans and t shirts on the golf course too :D

My only issue has been than you are portraying as mamby pan by and these schools are anything but
jonriv

by jonriv » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:19 pm

http://www.goarmysports.com/ot/security.html

Wow. Similar rules at west. Point. What a wimpy place

You guys view this a some kind of pussification. I think it's a worse commentary on our society that such rules become necessary because people have to act like idiots at a sporting event

Nescac games are not like an ohio michigan football game. These are small schools with small facilities where fans and alumnae from both sides are just as likely to socialize with each other. They believe in strong and rigorous competition, but a strong focus on sportsmanship and civility- not sure what's wrong with that?

People that attend these schools pay a pretty penny and they expect their schools a certain way. These are excellent academic schools with a lot of money(old and new) attending
jonriv

by jonriv » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:29 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
jonriv wrote:

I thought SpazsDad nailed it.

If it was some already happened nastiness it probably violated some already existing rules. Why not just take care of the rule violates using the existing rules? I have seen this handled a number of times at softball games.

The current NCAA rules seem to be more than adequate to handle these issues, i.e. the other parts of the letter. Instead these guys seemed to find a need to go out and write that specific ban, which included a ban on booing.

You can claim it is not mamby pamby, or no some feel-good, but if walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, don't be so surprised if others call it a duck.

Every school and conference I have checked has a fan code of conduct that either restates and/or expands on the ncaa code of conduct. Obviously they thought it important enough.
jonriv

Next

Return to College Softball