Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Quick Guide for the College Experience

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:19 am

There always seems to be a great fear of over zealous left wing professors contaminating the minds of our daughters. Certainly there is a larger percentage of left wingers in the ranks of collegiate teachers than in regular life-it is not true for all. There are also ways to not only endure the experience, but to capitalize, At my son's convocation ceremony at his new school, a professor spoke(yes a liberal) Although I did not agree with some parts of his speech-this part rang true of what the school expected "We will not tell you what to think, we will not tell you how to think, but we will demand that you think!"

You will find the most liberal(left wing) professors in the following disciplines:

Sociology
African Studies
Woman Studies
Fine Arts

Hard Science(Chemistry etc) tend to be Apolitical (unless it affects their funding

Political science and history are mixed(as is religious studies)

Business tends to conservative

My daughter goes to a Business focused school- you will be hard pressed to find a liberal professor or student

My son goes to a Liberal Arts college(with a religious affiliation as well as input from the Eisenhower and Nixon families) is a little more mixed.

All colleges are different, but the guide is pretty consistent. Your kids thoughts and ideas will be grounded in what YOU teach them and hat they go with. Let them know they can be confident in their own thoughts and ideas. It is however important hat the explore new ides and thoughts. It is also important that they learn to hear and understand alternative view points(does not mean they have to agree. The professor also recommended that students "go outside their comfort zones" College is a great place to learn and experience new things-encourage your kids to do so.

See a ballet, art etc,,,,, Take a class in a subject that is different for them Attend a lecture on something weird- Talk with a foreign exchange student- expand their social network -college is the time to do it.

The more they are able to relate and understand others(on top of the technical and or educational skills they learn) will make them better rounded and more marketable,

College can a should be a lifetime experience!!
jonriv

by DonnieS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:25 am

>> My daughter goes to a Business focused school- you will be hard pressed to find a liberal professor or student <<

Good to hear.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:34 am

College experience can run the full spectrum. Certainly BYU will be different from UC Berkley.

My school had mostly liberal professors. (SUNY). But with conservative kids from Long Island and westchester suburbs and also rural western ny. Led to some lively discussions
jonriv

by jonriv » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:46 am

DonnieS wrote:>> My daughter goes to a Business focused school- you will be hard pressed to find a liberal professor or student <<

Good to hear.

I think it's a better scenario with some divergent views, I don't want my kids being insolar and isolated. Being in Boston gives her enough from the left. :)

My wife and I have given our kids a strong base. We are both business people with moderate conservative views. Kids have a former hippie uncle who gives them another viewpoint. Kids did grow up in the " bubble" that a wealthy town provides and they need to experience more diversity. I want them to learn and experience more. I believe you can do that and still maintain your values and convictions. IMO it is important to understand other viewpoints, even if you do not agree with them
jonriv

by 3'sDad » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:54 pm

JR: Even I, when in college, leaned to the left of center (ahhh). One has to question things at that age, before maturity & common sense takeover.

This is just my humble opinion & YMMV - not looking for any political discussion.
3'sDad

by jonriv » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:18 am

What's the phrase. "If your not a liberal when your young you have no heart ,but if you not conservative when you get older you have no brain
jonriv

by DonnieS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 am

jonriv wrote:What's the phrase. "If your not a liberal when your young you have no heart ,but if you not conservative when you get older you have no brain

Then it must be true, I dont have a heart. I worked on relatives farms including our own, and had a lawn mowing business. Started working pretty early, it didnt seem strange, I wanted spending money. I never knew until much later that people's parents helped their kids with college, that seemed kind of odd to me. Why was someone paying for someone else's college, they should take care of their own. But that was what it was in my world. I think the conservative bend comes from work, not age. So many of these bullshit opinions we heard in those days (the vast majority of the war protesters in the 60's that I detested then and still do today) came from little babies who had never worked a day in their lives and have their mommies and daddies taking care of everything for them.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

Donnie I hear you. I wore my BDUs every Wednesday for ROTC drill data. I went to school in the eighties so most of my professors were students in the sixties-you can imagine that combination!

I will add that the combination you experienced was valuable too. You experienced other viewpoints and they helped to solidify your own.

In business you will always come across customers, co workers, employees and bosses with different viewpoints and experiences. You don't need to agree with their view points, but the greater you understand their backgrounds the better you will do in business. Knowledge is power. True empathy and understanding in business is rare, those who can capitalize win.
jonriv

Return to College Softball