College Softball

Williams sweeps Tufts

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:41 am

Williams Athletics
Last Updated - Apr 6, 2014 00:05 EDT
Contact |
Archive |
RSS MEDFORD, Mass. -- A big rally in the opener and a stymied rally in the nightcap helped Williams College open the northern part of its schedule with a sweep of defending national champion and top-ranked Tufts University on Saturday, 8-7 and 6-4.

The Ephs improved to 11-5 with the wins.

"It was a great day," said Ephs' head coach Kris Herman. "I thought we had good pitching both games, some clutch hits and played decent defense. We made some mistakes, but then they did too and we capaitalized on theirs. Anytime you can beat a good team you're happy."

The Ephs trailed 6-1 after four innings in the opener, but rallied for five in the top of the fifth to tie the game and scored twice in the sixth to take an 8-6 lead before staving off a last-inning Jumbo rally.

Williams had 12 hits in the victory, led by first year Alison Michalik, who was 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored from the lead-off spot. Kacey Cramer was 2-for-5 with two RBI, Theresa Legan 2-for-4 with two RBI and Ashley Wirth 2-for-3 with two runs scored.

Emma Harrington went the distance for the Ephs and improved to 5-2. She gave up eight hits over seven innings while walking one and striking out one. She was charged with seven runs, five of which were earned.

The Ephs' rally began in the fifth when Priscilla Pino reached on an error leading off. Wirth drew a walk, but the next two batters resulted in outs. Legan then ripped an RBI-double to right and Michalik followed with a single off Tufts' starter Lauren Giglio that pushed two runs across. Ercia Li was hit by a pitch and stole second, and Cramer came through with a clutch two-run single to right to tie the game, 6-6.

In the top of the sixth, Pino led off and launched a solo home run to straightaway center field for a 7-6 Eph lead. Williams added an insurance run on Legan's RBI-single. In the bottom of the seventh, Jo Clair led off with a triple for Tufts and scored on Cassie Ruscz's single. Ruscz advanced to third on a pair of groundouts, but Harrington induced Chrissie Massrey to fly out to right and end the game.

In the nightcap, Williams jumped on Tufts' starter Erica County for three runs in the first and three runs in the second to build a 6-0 lead.

In the first, Li beat out an infield hit with one out. Cramer doubled to left scoring Li. Ali Graebner singled to center, scoring Cramer and Pino squeezed Graebner home. In the second, it was Taylor Donze who had the one-out infield hit. She stole second and, after Legan walked, scored on Michalik's double to right. Li singled but Legan was thrown out at home for the second out. Cramer then laced a two-out, two-run single to center to score Michalik and Lee for the 6-0 advantage.

Tufts climbed as close as 6-4 in the sixth on a pair of solo home runs by Clair and Gracie Marshall, but first year Brooke Bovier had a 1-2-3 seventh to wrap up the win for Williams. Bovier went the distance, allowing six hits and four runs, all earned. She did not walk a batter and struck out four.

The Ephs had eight hits in the win. Cramer was 2-for-4 with three RBI, Li was 2-for-4 with two runs scored and Graebner was 2-for-3 with an RBI and run scored.
jonriv

by hit4power » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Great day for Williams. To be clear, Tufts did not pitch their #1 until the second game threatened to become a run rule win for Williams. She shut Williams down very effectively. If these two teams meet in the NESCAC post season tourney, it could be very interesting. Always helps to have seen the pitcher before, although as has been discussed, she is a fierce competitor with a ton of ability.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:37 am

Wish we could have done the same. :D

For non-conference games the coach tries not to use her if she can get away with her. Fournier is tough and she seems to get stronger every year
jonriv

by hit4power » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:38 pm

my two cents is that Wiliams sent a clear message that they can handle any pitcher on the roster at Tufts other than Fournier. On the other hand, Tufts did not light up either Williams pitcher other than 1 inning in the first game. If Williams can make it to the post season, it will be worth watching what happens.

As a side note, I asked my DD how she would compare Fournier to any of the top pitchers she has faced in the Houston area during HS or ASA play. The answer was better than all but one, and most of those are pitching for top D1 schools. Fournier is the real deal...
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:30 am

My daughter saw Fournier a lot in TB the summer before college, she was good then-even better now. I had heard she is also on the swim team and a workout nut. She is physically much bigger than she was a few years ago-especially in her shoulders.

With the exception of Jo Clair(the 6" catcher) Tufts does not seem to be hitting like theey used too(ironic, since that is the coache's speciality)

I still wonder how the Ivies missed these two, they certainly could have played at that level an if they can get into Tufts they could have gotten into the Ivies
jonriv

by GreatWhiteNorth » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am

I believe that the pitcher chose Tufts over other schools as she was allowed to be a two sport athlete there.
GreatWhiteNorth

by jonriv » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:57 am

[quote][/quoI believe that the pitcher chose Tufts over other schools as she was allowed to be a two sport athlete there.te]

That makes sense
jonriv

Return to College Softball