Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

College Athletes Can Unionize, Federal Agency Says

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by PDad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:28 am

exD1dad wrote:Here's a good read on this subject - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... thwestern/

I like the distinction about the schools that are in the business of sports. I've long felt the top tier of football and men's basketball have outgrown the NCAA model and they should be broken out to a different classification with looser rules. Of the nearly 1,300 schools in the NCAA, only 50-80 in each of those sports really meet that criteria in a big way. The rest of the schools have to at least subsidize their athletic departments.

I'd also allow athletes to be drafted and paid by pro teams while playing in college as long as it's not contingent on them playing for a particular school. Playing for the pro team would end their college eligibility in that sport.

All athletes should share in the profits of anything that is derived from them individually (e.g. merchandise and endorsements).

The article's point about OSU's AD getting a bonus based on an individual athlete's performance is disturbing. The NCAA should eliminate financial rewards based on the performance of their athletes and this includes the large bowl game payouts. The outcome of a college game shouldn't have financial implications of millions of dollars.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm

I don't think it was based on an individual athletes performance. I suspect he gets a bonus based on any team/student winning a national title. At first the concept does seem a bit off, the way it was presented in the article.

I suspect has been one of the big drivers in the spread of schools that are now interested in fielding competitive softball teams. I know that many other sports have seen much broader level of effort. Schools have found listing X national titles is a pretty decent student recruiting accomplishment. Also the AD's resume often list the national titles that were won under their 'management.'
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to College Softball