Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Wrist plays

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Played two teams that had players wearing wrist bands with numbered plays( like a football quarterback). Had never seen before. How common?

This was at the clermont dot Richardson tournament
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:47 am

Is it too much? How many plays could you possibly have? I do agree it makes it harder to steal signs!
jonriv

by BAM2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:49 am

Hey JonRiv,
Both my daughters teams have used them and still do. Both started in 12's. One is second year 12's and the other is second year 14's and HS. They Love them. No missed signs. And lets them all know what the play is on offence and defence. The card has defence signs on one side and offence on the other. Only draw backs are, when players leave the coach or manager has to change it up, and re issue new cards, and some kids take a bit longer to scroll the signs.
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:09 am

JR, I see it pretty regular here as well. Not on our team, but on all the teams we play.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:20 pm

The first time I saw it was 4 years ago. Our HS baseball coach used it to call pitches.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:05 pm

DD's team used them this past year @ PGF 16's. Accessories, now that's an Industry.

& both catchers called every game, but that's another thread :D
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchjunkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 am

I just posted the same topic. I thought they very annoying, took too long to use and had a terrible glare on them.
fastpitchjunkie

by coachjwb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Just saw these posts. I think the wristband signal systems are great, but I admit to being pretty biased. In full disclosure, I just posted an "ad" for these in the classified ads section here. I had gotten frustrated with my teams missing signals and other teams stealing them, so I developed a system for a 12-U travel team I was helping coach last year and they worked great for us.

The only issue was around costs ... there are some good systems out there that are being used by some of D1 programs in softball and baseball, but they're too expensive for most travel and school teams. Even the wristbands by themselves can be expensive. So after talking to some other coaches and verifying there was an interest, I was able to secure a supply of wristbands at bulk costs and developed a system that I customize to each team. I don't make much money on it in order to keep it affordable for teams, but it's a fun hobby and cool to see teams using them. Most teams can do it, wristbands and all for $100-125. I've had anywhere from 10-U to high school to 18-U gold to college teams get them from me (about 50 systems in total), and the feedback has been great so far. Most teams are using them for hitting and baserunning (traditional 3B coach signals), but some are mixing in some defensive plays, and some are getting strictly for pitch-calling. They take a couple of games to get used to but, if set up right, they shouldn't be annoying at all and actually quicker to use than traditional signals.

I think they're here to stay and you're going to see more and more teams using them eventually no different than what's happened in football.
coachjwb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

It's a Pac12 thing... Fad started with Cal( not their brain child though) baseball 6 years ago. Oh I remember the "smart kid" wise cracks. Now who's laughing!

They rotate every odd number inning and use it for every situation. Allows for hundreds of combinations.
tbjd33

by coachjwb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 pm

I definitely don't recommend the pitchers wear one. No way I want to destroy her rhythm. Most pitch-calling signs are stolen between coach and catcher. If the coach is giving the signals here (no need to use a wristband at all if catcher is calling signals), then the catcher needs to "translate" the signal to the pitcher with traditional type signals ... one for pitch and one for location.
coachjwb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to College Softball