Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF INVITE? Please explain.

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by extiger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:20 am

How does a team that got knocked out of a PGF qualifier get invited to PGF Nationals over the team that knocked them out?
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:38 am

extiger wrote:How does a team that got knocked out of a PGF qualifier get invited to PGF Nationals over the team that knocked them out?

If this is a rhetorical question, then I feel your pain. If this is an authentic question, then there is no one on this Board who can give you a correct answer with the exception of JMO. If you are serious, you should probably PM him.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:01 pm

extiger wrote:How does a team that got knocked out of a PGF qualifier get invited to PGF Nationals over the team that knocked them out?

In my observation over the years PGF will almost always do what's in the best interest of PGF as a business. For instance a team from an area to which they are trying to expand their influence and market their brand could beat out a team that one might feel is more deserving "on paper".

That said, the invite could also be based on the team's body of work over the summer and not just one game.

Remember the only surefire way to get in is to win.

My advice is to take this time to teach the girls one of life's most important lessons: Life is not fair. Work harder and come back stronger next year and don't give them the choice of leaving you out.

Best of luck to you and your team.

P.S. Questions regarding PGF should almost always be posted in the Premier Girls Fastpitch forum.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by extiger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 pm

Not rhetorical nor are we feeling any pain. After all in the end it's just a game. Just trying to understand the thought process of awarding berths. I have seen teams offered a berth who deserve it and others that leave you scratching your head. If PGF is best of the best, how does it make sense to invite a team that has not proven to be competitive on paper or on the field? I totally agree that winning your way in will eliminate all doubt.
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Ed Hill » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:43 pm

extiger wrote: If PGF is best of the best, how does it make sense to invite a team that has not proven to be competitive on paper or on the field?

This is felt only in the minds of the governing board of PGF. In reality, this is no where near the truth.
Ed Hill

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:52 pm

Ed Hill wrote:
extiger wrote: If PGF is best of the best, how does it make sense to invite a team that has not proven to be competitive on paper or on the field?

This is felt only in the minds of the governing board of PGF. In reality, this is no where near the truth.

It's mostly true. Probably close to 90% true. The facts are there to support this year after year. To deny the claim is to ignore those facts and to show an emotional bias.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:15 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Ed Hill wrote:

It's mostly true. Probably close to 90% true. The facts are there to support this year after year. To deny the claim is to ignore those facts and to show an emotional bias.

Lets look at it this way...PGF 14U Nats vs ASA 14U Nats...Final 4 teams....What % of the teams are committed, especially to D1 schools?
PGF...bet 90+% are...
ASA...bet less than 30% are...been to both, seen it
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:07 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote: My advice is to take this time to teach the girls one of life's most important lessons: Life is not fair.

That's right. The sooner children are told by adults that "Life isn't Fair" and to "just get used to it" the better. That's the ticket. :roll:

Of course, you could also follow the money.
Hurricane

by extiger » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:59 am

"In my observation over the years PGF will almost always do what's in the best interest of PGF as a business. For instance a team from an area to which they are trying to expand their influence and market their brand could beat out a team that one might feel is more deserving "on paper".

"That said, the invite could also be based on the team's body of work over the summer and not just one game."

Your response seems to be the most logical. I truly believe PGF is trying to put out the most competitive tournament possible. However, some of the teams I am referring to are from areas where PGF is hot and heavy and were hand picked after the qualifier. Not just this year but in previous years as well. Seems to me it would make more sense to hand pick (Berths for non qualifying teams) from the most competitive qualifiers in the order of finish.

For example, a team that got knocked in the Semi finals at the Socal Qualifier would more than likely be more competitive at PGF nationals than the team that got eliminated after winning two games in the losers bracket at the Alaska qualifier.
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:37 am

Pale Rider wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Ed Hill wrote:

Lets look at it this way...PGF 14U Nats vs ASA 14U Nats...Final 4 teams....What % of the teams are committed, especially to D1 schools?
PGF...bet 90+% are...
ASA...bet less than 30% are...been to both, seen it

You are too generous at 30%
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch