Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF/Surf City Shootout Tournament

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by fodder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:48 pm

So PGF/Surf City are holding an invitational tournament this weekend in conjunction with the October Showcase, and there are games starting at 8:00am Friday morning? Is Friday a holiday I don't know about? Do kids not have to go to school anymore?

Seems like there are too many tournaments/showcases starting on Fridays this fall.
fodder

by as the world turns » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Who is foolish enough to sign up for these "showcases" on Friday mornings?
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by BB2830 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:35 pm

I agree with the poster. I can see some Friday late afternoon or evening games but did they really have to schedule the whole day Friday? Plenty of time to get in the single elimination and pool play Saturday and Sunday. School should be the top priority and PGF should know better. The smart teams are playing in the normal showcase this weekend with no early Friday games. Also, will there really be many colleges at this event and especially on Friday? I would think they will be at the On Deck camp.
BB2830

by fodder » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Don't play. If it bothered enough people they would probably stop.

Hey Spaz - I'm not the coach, and my kid won't be playing, she'll be going to school. That's not really my point. Why are they scheduling meaningless pool games at 8:00am on a Friday school day? To justify charging more $$$?
fodder

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:57 pm

fodder wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Don't play. If it bothered enough people they would probably stop.

Hey Spaz - I'm not the coach, and my kid won't be playing, she'll be going to school. That's not really my point. Why are they scheduling meaningless pool games at 8:00am on a Friday school day? To justify charging more $$$?

I think Spazsdad is with you here. I believe he's saying your team should make a statement and not play and if enough teams do the same they'll stop scheduling these games.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:12 am

As a leader in the softball world and an organization that tries to help student athletes reach the next level, PGF sends a terrible mixed message by having players pulled out of class/school to play- JMO

BTW Spaz- they have fall in Cali? :D
jonriv

by BB2830 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Missing a couple days does make a difference when D9 and other events are coming up. In So Cal, many kids have their PSAT this week as well. Kids from those prime recruiting years taking an important test they cannot miss. It is much harder to get recruited without excellent grades and test scores unless you are one of the elite. Think it would be great if about 10 teams bailed but I am sure they would be able to fill from elsewhere. Also, won't most of the recruitment Friday be at the On Deck Elite Camp at Mt. Sac?
BB2830

by BB2830 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:25 pm

I think scheduling an all day Friday event knowing that the On Deck West Coast Elite Camp is going on that same Thursday and Friday is not smart or presenting a realistic recruiting opportunity. So why do it other than to make money? If you get an invite to the On Deck camp you go because you are one of a limited number of players being seen by a huge number of colleges. How many college coaches will be at any given game on Friday with On Deck and 3 different locations, 16 different fields and 64 different teams playing in the PGF event? I guess if you make it to late Saturday or Sunday you might have some activity but Friday will be a waste of time for recruiting. D9 is also not great for girls having to miss school but with its established history, 200+ colleges in attendance, etc. it is good calculated risk to take if you want to play back East. PGF should have had a standard tourney format with pool play Saturday and single Elimination Saturday Night / Sunday and they could still pick up activity from all of the colleges that came out for the On Deck event. And we haven't even discussed the other 100+ teams playing in the regular Surf City Showcase event.
BB2830

by as the world turns » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Why doesn't Surf City post scores? Make the teams actually care about the games because the results and scores are posted for everyone to see. Triple crown does it for all their events, showcases included. I know my suggestion will fall on deaf ears because all the minion teams won't say a word as to not to piss off the gods. For all that money, teams only get a schedule, fields and blues.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by franklin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:48 pm

They only care about money, Surf City/ PGF turned out to be as horrible as ASA was.
franklin

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch