Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

12U PGF Qualifier in TX rained out on Sunday?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by BringDHeat » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 pm

I see the 04-18-15 to 04-19-15 12U PGF Qualifier in North Texas, TX was rained out on Sunday.

What a mess that has to be with teams traveling and playing one day and not the other.

Just wondering how is that dealt with?

Does anyone know?
BringDHeat
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Wed May 13, 2015 10:11 am

BringDHeat wrote:I see the 04-18-15 to 04-19-15 12U PGF Qualifier in North Texas, TX was rained out on Sunday.

What a mess that has to be with teams traveling and playing one day and not the other.

Just wondering how is that dealt with?

Does anyone know?

If you look at the bracket for the games that were completed, a couple of the teams were given qualified status and a couple were given at large berths. You can check the names of the associated teams on the PGF National Championship page.
This seems fair given the expense of travel and unpredictable whether.

I think you will see the same thing happen this weekend in 14U.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BringDHeat » Wed May 13, 2015 11:30 am

Very interesting!

I just checked the PGF Website to see which of the teams from the Texas Qualifier were given berths. Funny thing is that there are 5 teams from that tournament on the list of teams which have entered the National Championship Tournament. The tournament was designated to give out 4 berths, yet 5 teams are in.

It is my understanding that if a team has won/been given a berth and they choose to play in a qualifier, they forfeit that berth and are thus playing to earn it again. If that is true, how are 5 teams from the tournament in the finals when only 4 berths were supposed to be issued?

The five teams are:

Texas Impact Gold - Elder coached by Danny Elder – TX
Texas Aces Jacoby Black coached by Kelli Jacoby - TX
Diamond Sports Hotshots Gold coached by Mel Dumezich - TX
Texas Blaze Lindsey coached by Doug Lindsey - TX
Firecrackers HTX coached by Stefani Schulte - TX

I hear rumors that towards the end of the qualifying season, berths are handed out to teams that did not win them. I do not know if that is true. If it is true, what is the criteria to get the berth handed to you?

There is no doubt that teams/players/coaches work extremely hard on and off the field to get better at this amazing game. Spending all kinds of time and money to get to the qualifying tournaments which may be quite a distance for many of them. I have no issue with berths being granted when a qualifier is cancelled for whatever the reason. Maybe there is some vote at the end and there was a tie for the 4th berth?

Just wondering...
BringDHeat
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed May 13, 2015 1:36 pm

There were 8 teams still alive in winners bracket when qualifier was halted. Per jmo:
- 'Qualified' berths to the 2 teams that had won 2 games.
- At Large berths to 2 teams based on games in process.
- At Large berths to 2 more teams based on results in an event the following week.

The 2 extra berths given out at this qualifier reduces the number of At Large berths available after the qualifiers. I believe teams need to request these berths and PGF looks at the teams' results in various events, especially PGF qualifiers, to determine recipients.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BringDHeat » Wed May 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Beautiful!

Thank you.

BTW, love GC. I still quote him all the time.
BringDHeat
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lil Ballers » Wed May 13, 2015 2:54 pm

So why do I see 7 teams qualified of the 8 teams remaining. Why was American freedom Lopez left out? If it is true what your saying on how the teams got there berth.
Lil Ballers

by PDad » Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Lil Ballers wrote:So why do I see 7 teams qualified of the 8 teams remaining. Why was American freedom Lopez left out? If it is true what your saying on how the teams got there berth.

Who is your 7th? I don't see Impact Gold DFW (Hill) having a berth.

There are 8 TX teams with berths.
- Invited: Impact Gold Applebe, TX Glory
- Qualified: Texas Impact Elder, Texas Blaze Lindsey
- At Large: Diamond Sports Hotshots Gold, Firecrackers HTX, Impact Gold Mata, Texas Aces Jacoby Black
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch