Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF - Do it right or dont do it at all (10U)

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Mr. Observation » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:28 pm

PDad-I believe your question is merely a subterfuge to my answer. I will simplify my answer but I will ask you a direct question in return? Do you believe PGF should hold a invite only 10U national championship because it is the best thing to do for the 10U division this year? If so, do you belive 10U should remain an invite only national championship? If not, please explain? If it dosen't matter to you then please say so?

ASA has a national recreation league and PGF does not. PGF should create a national recreation league before trying to implement a national champion at the 10-12U age limit. Until then they should stay out of a 10-12U national championship all together. I understand that WILL NOT happen because there is too much money to be made on the 10-12U age group. If PGF is going to get involved in the 10-12U arena then make it a regional championship so you can get the best teams in the area (travelball orgs, T-shirt travel and upper level rec teams) to compete against each other without forcing the parents to pull out a loan to cover it. Once PGF knows who the best teams are in the area (nation wide) then you can have PGF do a invite only national championship. The teams that think they are legit will travel if confident but at least the teams that made it to the national championship deserved it. I understand that some California teams that do not win in California could win in other states but that's been a reality for a long time now. If a team thinks they can win in another state they will travel (not a lot but a few will). I do think that at 10U the best teams are not always travel ball and you have some T-shirt teams and Rec teams that can win it all. It gets a lot harder to do the same at the 12U age but it is a possibilty. Even though 12U is not in it's rookie year (as you posted Pdad) the 12U PGF division can't even get some states to host qualifiers for PGF when ASA is hosting 12U national championships in nor Cal. So make it regional and keep it fun and the least expensive until it becomes a business and real expensive.

PGF does not need a recreation league to host 14-18U national championships because it is an excellent recruiting venue and worth the money to travel. It is not the same for 10-12U. I agree with PGF on one end and disagree on the other. This sport is rapidly changing but it still should change for a positive with girls fastpitch being the primary objective not the money$. I'm not trying to create numerous positions on the topic but I understand that there are always a myriad of possibilities something can go right or wrong when change is implemented. I strongly urge PGF to do the right thing. Just my observation.
Mr. Observation

by PDad » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Mr. Observation wrote:PDad-I believe your question is merely a subterfuge to my answer.
Actually, I had 2 questions - I guess that explains why you didn't answer the second. Subterfuge? I believe that's the first time I've been accused of that. lol

I will simplify my answer

Thank you for organizing your thoughts and presenting them.

I find it curious you omit ASA's 10U/12U travel since PGF Nats is really aimed at the ASA/USA travel level. PGF has mentioned sanctioning rec leagues on the national broadcasts and they launched their Futures / Regional program 2 years ago - including 10U. I haven't seen any signs of them pushing the rec level and the Midwest/Central Region seems to be the only one having much success.

but I will ask you a direct question in return? Do you believe PGF should hold a invite only 10U national championship because it is the best thing to do for the 10U division this year? If so, do you believe 10U should remain an invite only national championship? If not, please explain? If it doesn't matter to you then please say so?

I don't think PGF holding a 10U Nat is good for the 10U division as a whole. JMHO

Regarding 10U being invite only, I think there are very limited opportunities for qualifiers. It's very problematic because there aren't enough 10U teams around the country interested in attending PGF Nats to warrant holding a full set of qualifiers and there's very little track record on 10U teams to base invites.

PGF will obviously invite all the main orgs. I suspect they'll also monitor the results of some other sanctions' events and invite (i.e. recruit) some of their winners. They'll want as many non-local teams as they can get to make it a "national" event and to fill room$, so I expect they'll consider any non-local team that shows interest. The only issue I see is deciding which teams get the remaining spots, so I would like to see 1-2 qualifiers out here for that.

Interest in 10U Nats will probably grow in future years as 12U expands, but neither one will reach the older groups. Like everything else with PGF, they'll monitor it and modify accordingly.

I'm curious what PGF charges for 10U and 12U. Can you imagine the sticker shock if it's as much as the older divisions (~$1,800)? I also wonder if they'll shorten the schedule for 10U since there aren't as many teams - ASA/USA 10U is usually a day shorter. PGF should be very careful with 10U so teams want to come back for 12U.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Despite Mr. Observations observations on the matter. The formula is tried and true, PGF has shown time and again. Deliver what coaches want, and they will attend.

I too remember traveling to far locals for 10U and enjoyed. Having all the tournaments in SoCal would probably stink by the time your kid was 18G. Having the travel would be allays within a couple of hours of an decent size airport would be nice.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch