Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Question for the PGF higher ups

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Slappydad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:26 am

I was just curious as to why there are no qualifiers set in the fall or winter? Is it a matter of being too soon, no field availability, not enough team interest? It seems like it would be a great way to get some teams qualified, free up some summer schedules for those qualified teams and possibly speed up the scheduling process for both PGF and the teams attempting to qualify. Just curious, not complaining.
Slappydad

by PairOfAces » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

I don't like the idea of fall qualifiers, as it attracts teams who are using girls who will age out at the first of the year, but are still eligible in the fall. So when PGF or TCS comes up the following summer, you have multiple teams, who qualified with many players who are no longer on the team, playing in the tourney.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:43 pm

PairOfAces wrote:I don't like the idea of fall qualifiers, as it attracts teams who are using girls who will age out at the first of the year, but are still eligible in the fall. So when PGF or TCS comes up the following summer, you have multiple teams, who qualified with many players who are no longer on the team, playing in the tourney.

Not that I'm for it, but I'm pretty sure that would be easy to regulate. Wouldn't most/all the girls that would age out by January 1st be off at college anyhow?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:09 pm

Slappydad wrote:I was just curious as to why there are no qualifiers set in the fall or winter? Is it a matter of being too soon, no field availability, not enough team interest? It seems like it would be a great way to get some teams qualified, free up some summer schedules for those qualified teams and possibly speed up the scheduling process for both PGF and the teams attempting to qualify. Just curious, not complaining.

I'm confident the reason is too early. PGF has a limited number of berths and their main interest is getting the best teams to play - especially in the Premier division. They put in a lot of effort into identifying teams to invite and distributing the remaining berths to qualifiers. That seems to take them all fall and part of the winter.

Players "aging up" shouldn't be an issue for PGF because they run Sept-Aug. ASA players can wait until Jan to move up, but it's not an issue in their qualifiers because players in fall qualifiers have to be age-eligible for the next year too.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AvgMoe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Does it really matter if the teams are stacked now or at the end of summer? Few 12u teams I watched had brought in a few new girls just for PGF. One team had two girls lead the team in all hitting stats and they were not on the team all season.
“No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar” - Lincoln
AvgMoe

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Fall teams are not really set teams. Some areas have extensive movement over the winter. In fact I would say that it would be in most peoples interest to consider fall an extended tryout season.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch