PGF - ORDER OF FINISH - 2014

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Battle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Dugout Dad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:
I know it's regularly much worse in most parts of the country. I was just setting up my dig at ASA...

I guess we can add Salem VA to the list of professional ASA host cities. I couldn't believe they were holding ASA/USA 16A Nats this year on 12 fields spread across 4 sites - 1 was a HS field.

[ A year after taking their bid for probably the best gig with an expectation of 160 teams, ASA created 16G which took away a lot of the best teams playing ASA. Salem had around 120 teams coming mid-July, so they hit the phones to get around 15 more teams to fill in.

Humidity...I know that :D
Salem...never been there...dont plan on going
The 16G was handing out berths also...
in LA...a team that didnt win a game at a qualifier got a berth...

This way, teams such as "Lucky Charms" and "Chicks w/ Attitude" can also go to a "National" too.

I know some teams that qualified for ASA and PGF. They made the bad choice of going ASA and barely got out of the gates. I told them that they should've went to PGF and that they probably would've got a few more games in. They said they know but PGF was too expensive.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:52 am

Battle wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote:
I know it's regularly much worse in most parts of the country. I was just setting up my dig at ASA...

I guess we can add Salem VA to the list of professional ASA host cities. I couldn't believe they were holding ASA/USA 16A Nats this year on 12 fields spread across 4 sites - 1 was a HS field.

[ A year after taking their bid for probably the best gig with an expectation of 160 teams, ASA created 16G which took away a lot of the best teams playing ASA. Salem had around 120 teams coming mid-July, so they hit the phones to get around 15 more teams to fill in.

Humidity...I know that :D
Salem...never been there...dont plan on going
The 16G was handing out berths also...
in LA...a team that didnt win a game at a qualifier got a berth...

This way, teams such as "Lucky Charms" and "Chicks w/ Attitude" can also go to a "National" too.

I know some teams that qualified for ASA and PGF. They made the bad choice of going ASA and barely got out of the gates. I told them that they should've went to PGF and that they probably would've got a few more games in. They said they know but PGF was too expensive.

Battle old buddy you know I'm not always a fan of PGF, but you are smokin' the good stuff if you think that PGF isn't drawing 90% or more of the top teams in the country at the 16 and 18 level.

There are still some things I'd like to see changed about PGF, but it is definitely the #1 National going in terms of determining who is the best of the best.

ASA is not even close right now.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:19 am

Argument can be made that ASA is the third best National Tourney behind TC National with PGF being the cherry. Might even argue the CO Indy is better too.

Forget tradition if the ASA it's about playing against the best and getting looks. Best thing that cod happen is the Champ from each major plays a final double elimination tournament which is televised. Call is what ever you want. Travel Baseball has the NYBC (National Youth Baseball Classic). The lead sponsor this year was Baseball Youth Magazine, boys version of Full Count (formally Student Sports Softball).

Uno and Eads should put something together and crown a final undisputed National Champion!
tbjd33

by Pale Rider » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Battle wrote:I know some teams that qualified for ASA and PGF. They made the bad choice of going ASA and barely got out of the gates. I told them that they should've went to PGF and that they probably would've got a few more games in. They said they know but PGF was too expensive.

Reminds me of a local boys song...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thifYDl07IE
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aojr03 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:50 pm

My DD played both ASA 18 Gold and PGF... and i dont care how good they were. Cali gets my vote for most "FUN" US Open of Surfing, Hollywood, trip to San Diego (pronounced San Diaaago) and all the other stuff I did.. It's a miracle I made it to any games.

That being said, PGF gets the nod for overall quality and level of play. ASA still pretty good, but SoCal has it going right now. JMO... and i'm an Easterner.
aojr03

by Battle » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:18 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:Battle old buddy you know I'm not always a fan of PGF, but you are smokin' the good stuff if you think that PGF isn't drawing 90% or more of the top teams in the country at the 16 and 18 level.

There are still some things I'd like to see changed about PGF, but it is definitely the #1 National going in terms of determining who is the best of the best.

You, my friend, have obviously bumped your head... 90%? ...You could take the top 20 out of ASA and they would compete very well with the middle to top percentage of PGF. Any age group.That alone blows your 90% out of the water.

...and that's really giving you alot with the percentage.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Battle wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:Battle old buddy you know I'm not always a fan of PGF, but you are smokin' the good stuff if you think that PGF isn't drawing 90% or more of the top teams in the country at the 16 and 18 level.

You, my friend, have obviously bumped your head... 90%? ...You could take the top 20 out of ASA and they would compete very well with the middle to top percentage of PGF. Any age group.That alone blows your 90% out of the water.

Geez Battle, I'm not here to pick on anyone, but you do realize that the team that won ASA Gold Nationals this year finished 35th at the TCS/USA Nationals the week before.

The top finisher that played both ASA Gold and TCS/USA Nationals finished 12th at TCS.

The results don't lie. It is what it is.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:55 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Battle wrote:

Geez Battle, I'm not here to pick on anyone, but you do realize that the team that won ASA Gold Nationals this year finished 35th at the TCS/USA Nationals the week before.

The top finisher that played both ASA Gold and TCS/USA Nationals finished 12th at TCS.

The results don't lie. It is what it is.

FP05 drops the mic

Also, OK trailer park tours vs Huntington Beach activities. Oh, I don't know, what is funner?

Btw, if a player does not play on a ASA team, they won't have a chance to make the 2016 USA Olympic Softball Team
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:44 am

Olympics - LOL
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 am

OK- time to end the PGF, ASA, TCS etc arguments... There is only one way to settle it. The Hey Bucket Tournament of Champions(an IROC of softball) Have a tournament where you incite the winners of EVERY "National Tournament" PGF, ASA, TCS LL, Babe Ruth,PONY USSSA, Dixie, NSA-send em all) Get some major sponsors, put it on Fox Sports(they need content) Pay for the teams room and board and travel, Hold it in park city(they got the fields and the hotel space) Single elim weekend tourney

Might confirm some suspicions, might surprise some. Would give a chance for each organization to advertise their programs. Anouncers could drone on and on about where each org is strongest, what they do etc...

Provide free rooms for college coaches-courtesy tents by sponsors

Come on UNO- make it happen :D
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch