Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF top finishers

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Hit&Run » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Hit&Run wrote:
AvgMoe wrote:
Hit&Run wrote:Congrats to all the teams that competed this year. You can tell by the list who is going to be strong next year and the years to come. You can see what orgs are getting their kids ready for the next level and those who will have to recruit outside help......

It would be nice to know how many teams had to add girls to help them win.

I would say probably like 70% of them.....

And I would definitely dispute that number.

I guess you would have to clarify the question for a more specific response. To think that any of these teams decided to "Just go with what they got" when they qualified or were given a berth is pretty ridiculous. All year long teams added and subtracted players to put themselves in a position to compete. Some as late as the roster dead line, some a month before and some in the fall. Are we talking teams that picked up a couple of runners, a stud pitcher, a player to replace an injured player or a big bat? A few of these teams are a all star collections of travel ball players from different states. I thought 70% would be playing it safe. I mean it is Nationals. Thats why they offer pick up players. They don't freeze rosters in October. Find me a coach that would refuse a player they knew would be a difference maker.
Hit&Run

by PDad » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:01 pm

chromo wrote:How many players on those teams were already verballed? How many as a specific result of playing in the PGF tournament who didn't already get signed for a college athletic SCHOLARSHIP got signed and scholarshipped as a result of playing in this championship? Put the numbers out. .... So, put out the numbers. How many players get signed from the time the PFG tournament started until now as a direct result of being in the event? Does it work, or is it an illusion? I hope the facts show it is an improvement over ASA 10 years ago.

Your post demonstrates you don't understand the process because your timing is way off - the commitments will come over the next few months. Many of the other players will still benefit by either getting on a better team and/or improving their softball resume - both of which can help them draw more interest from colleges in the future.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by divotman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 pm

I would argue the comment that ALL teams beefed up rosters . Surely its a fact in some case but there is a top 4 team that for a fact did not. maybe 2 in 14's . Some teams go as is and are successful .
divotman

by exD1dad » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:57 pm

70% NO WAY :o sure teams pick up players, my DD has been on 2 Premiere teams - B'ham thunderbolts (got a full game in pool play & then just pinch hit & ran) a 'cracker team (led them in RBI's) & this year was a "guest player" (East coast terminology) on a New Jersey team in Platinum so we know the lay of the land.

If you follow new posts lots of teams look for the "stud pitcher" but how many are there to go around when the best usually carry a team & qualify themselves?

Just another stat that we cannot ever accurately quantify...like kids who lose their $ after a year or two, or those who get de-committed before they sign their NLI or how much Tony Rico really makes :lol: (I really don't care good for him hahaha)

Last years Champs SoCal A's didn't pick anybody up they played with what they have. .... just to clarify by "pick up " I mean after qualification prior to the roster freeze
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 am

Chromo / About Pick Up Players

Rather than criticize teams for pick-up players, you should really look at all the players it benefits!

Many teams come from far away places and not all of their players parents are willing to pay for a kid that may be the #15 players that may be lucky to play a few innings. How many of us have gone to Florida and Colorado and Utah and not have your kid get any play time? Many times a local team is shorthanded because of the above, and it gives another kid an opportunity to play at a Championship level!

Just from personal experience, our team did not qualify for PGF or ASA and pretty much was done for the season after Colorado. I asked around and found a team qualified for PGF that only had 13 players and she was added to the team. Experiencing opening ceremonies, meeting new players and experiencing different coaching styles really was wonderful. Got to play against some top notch organization on the main HB fields with scouts from major D1 programs. In elimination play lost first 2 games and was out. It really did not matter to me that we lost but we would not trade the experience and exposure to the highest level of play.

The next year our team did not qualify for PGF nor did they try to qualify for ASA. Again basically done after Colorado. We were then approached by two top notch organizations to play in PGF. No she is not a stud pitcher nor a big bat. We knew she would just be a situational player and she would be very lucky to see the field. Again she got a chance to experience opening ceremonies, practice with a top notch coach and many future D1 players. Our team won the Championship game, she got on tv - yes we have it on DVD and now she has a lifetime of stories and experiences, all because we were given the opportunity to be a pick-up player!
Makina

by Pale Rider » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:55 pm

artomatic wrote:chromo you really should put a breathalyzer on your computer that stops you from drunk typing.
And once again, too late to delete since your ramblings have been captured by the quote button.

Amen...PGF is where the best play the best...as far as 'commits' due to the event itself...I think ZERO is a good number...Because the EVENT is why the coaches come to see...the best play the best...as in TEAMS...
No coach recruits a team...Its about the players...Not just a team...bet the team that finished in last place (tied) has kids committed or will be because of their performances at PGF...
Have a friend ask me about the PGF tourney...whine about its cost...then tell me about his $8K deer hunt and his new $7K rifle..and complain that the rinky dink things his kid plays in only has minimal coaches in attendance...monetary issue is a 'wheres your priorities' thing...the other is, maybe you need to play at the level coaches WANT to see...
Dont wanna play PGF Nats?...DONT...but dont complain when kids get seen because of it...

Some people will (*&^%$# complain if you hung them with an old rope...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Coachred » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:45 am

Has the order of finish been or going to be published somewhere? I am curious to see where certain teams finished at all age groups.
Thanks
Coachred

by jmo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Coachred wrote:Has the order of finish been or going to be published somewhere? I am curious to see where certain teams finished at all age groups.
Thanks

Working on it as we speak. It will be on Website by tomorrow.

ORDER OF FINISH - 18U PREMIER
1st OC Batbusters 7-0
2nd Corona Angels Tyson 6-1
3rd So Cal Athletics 7-2
3rd Beverly Bandits Conroy 8-2
5th East Cobb Bullets 4-2
5th Birmingham Thunderbolts 4-2
7th Explosion 4-2
7th Firecrackers Rico 4-2
9th NC Lady Lightning Team Miken 4-2
9th Washington Ladyhawks 3-2
9th So Cal Choppers 4-2
9th Team North Florida 5-2
13th Rhode Island Thunder 3-2
13th Bownet 3-2
13th Texas Firecrackers May 4-2
13th Originals 5-2
17th Cal Cruisers Phil/Lyn 3-2
17th Nebraska Gold 2-2
17th Wichita Mustangs 2-2
17th KC Peppers 2-2
17th Carolina Elite Gold 4-2
17th AZ Hotshots Ewing 3-2
17th Sorcerers 4-2
17th KG Hitters 3-2
25th Texas Impact Gold 2-2
25th Cal Cruisers Sievers 2-2
25th Corona Angels Howard 2-2
25th Firecrackers Blanco Gold 2-2
25th Beverly Bandits Team Premier 3-2
25th PA Krunch 2-2
25th Georgia Impact Pauly 2-2
25th Grapettes Gomes 3-2
33rd Georgia Impact Medlam 2-2
33rd Indiana Magic 1-2
33rd Newtown Rock 1-2
33rd DeMarini Zephrys 1-2
33rd Killer Bees 1-2
33rd AZ Firecrackers Randy 1-2
33rd Atlanta Vipers 1-2
33rd Grapettes KO 1-2
33rd NJ Intensity 1-2
33rd Tennessee Fury 1-2
33rd Texas Storm Wymer 1-2
33rd Texas Bombers Gold 1-2
33rd Firecrackers DFW Poole 1-2
33rd Michigan Finesse 1-2
33rd Virginia Legends 2-2
33rd New Lenox Lightning 2-2
49th Batbusters Fox 1-2
49th Texas Aces Express McCorkle 1-2
49th Williamsburg Starz 1-2
49th So Cal A's Quarles 1-2
49th Illinois Chill Gold 1-2
49th Firecrackers DFW Gold 1-2
49th Lower South Liberty 0-2
49th Firecrackers Snyder 0-2
49th Strike Force 0-2
49th NM Sundancers 0-2
49th Gold Coast Hurricanes 0-2
49th NW Bullets 0-2
49th St Louis Esprit 0-2
49th Irvine Sting 0-2
49th Texas Glory Shelton 0-2
49th Arizona Storm 0-2
65th Minors Gold 0-2
65th Firecrackers Blanco 18U 0-2
65th Vienna Stars 0-2
65th AASA 0-2
65th Las Vegas Rage Gold 0-2
65th Texas Blaze Gold 0-2
65th Lady Sluggers 0-2
65th CA Kryptonite 0-2
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 pm

AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by chromo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 pm

The question is simple, what are the numbers? I like PGF and yet what are the numbers? What is the cost per girl to have to play on a PGF team under the belief that that is the only way to get a college scholarship? I support it, but I want the numbers. Is it better for your buck just to save up for college and get an academic tutor? At least "National Championships" are now in So Cal instead of middle America. That's good. But now you have to travel out of state to qualify for PFG, just like we did 10 years ago in ASA, and if you don't want to pay the bucks or can't pay the bucks, you can't get into PGF so you can go 0-2. so what are the numbers? Is it producing more results? Get some college sociology student to do a study. In fact, what are the numbers for ASA? Triple Crown? USSSA? How about some accuracy? Shouldn't PGF take the lead, put out some stats, like keeping score? Like, " We had 128 18u teams, with 1400 players, of which 400 were already signed, and 200 got signed after the championship spread among 43 teams." Something like that. I have a mediocre team nobody knows, and yet I get some girls full rides at little known colleges which fit their needs. Life goes on. My players just like to play softball. I don't have a horse in the PGF race, I'm all for it. But what is the actual way it is working? Simple question.
chromo
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch