Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Win with what you have

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by fontana10! » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 pm

I've never seen so many posting soliciting players to help a coach look good at PGF. What happened to the days when a coach/staff worked hard to prepare their players to the best of their ability? At the end of the season you went to battle with the girls and parents that were with you through the good and bad. I can understand if a few players were injured, but come on. Let me see, I can grab a few elite players (whom I have nothing to do with their development) and try and compete in a tournament that's suppose to be about the players. In the world of travel baseball rosters are frozen to eliminate such acts. I'm sure the players and parents who stuck it out all year want their daughter playing the position she earned rather than the coach bringing in a better player to play her position. Coaches, take so pride and win with what you have.
fontana10!

by Martini » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Well Said
Martini

by tbjd33 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:54 pm

fontana10! wrote:I've never seen so many posting soliciting players to help a coach look good at PGF. What happened to the days when a coach/staff worked hard to prepare their players to the best of their ability? At the end of the season you went to battle with the girls and parents that were with you through the good and bad. I can understand if a few players were injured, but come on. Let me see, I can grab a few elite players (whom I have nothing to do with their development) and try and compete in a tournament that's suppose to be about the players. In the world of travel baseball rosters are frozen to eliminate such acts. I'm sure the players and parents who stuck it out all year want their daughter playing the position she earned rather than the coach bringing in a better player to play her position. Coaches, take so pride and win with what you have.

Actually Travel Baseball is a ton worse than these guys. Yes rosters are frozen but in most orgs you can add/drop 3 to the roster. Very few restrictions especially in AAU, UTrip, Triple Crown, and NABF. Only TbS and NYBC have strict roster rules...

I think it's more desperation with these guys than wanting to be competitive. That's just not gonna happen cause any game changers are locked up by now.
tbjd33

by fontana10! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 am

Td, the USSSA Elite 32 is what I would consider equivalent to PGF. My son played in it 2 years and when you win a Super NIT your roster is frozen. Also as a travel baseball head coach for several years I wasn't aware of a website that openly solicits picking up players for end of the season tournaments. Maybe you can let me know so I can confirm your claim that baseball is worse. Regarding all the elite players being locked up, that's definitely not the case. I'm sure many reading this post know players who are excellent players that aren't playing in PGF for one reason or another. Lastly, I knew someone would suggest the coaches only want to be competitive, thus being the reason so many are soliciting players. If their team isn't competitive than maybe PGF made a mistake inviting them. Maybe I'm just old fashion and believe in hard work and loyalty.
fontana10!

by AvgMoe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am

fontana10! wrote:I've never seen so many posting soliciting players to help a coach look good at PGF. What happened to the days when a coach/staff worked hard to prepare their players to the best of their ability? At the end of the season you went to battle with the girls and parents that were with you through the good and bad. I can understand if a few players were injured, but come on. Let me see, I can grab a few elite players (whom I have nothing to do with their development) and try and compete in a tournament that's suppose to be about the players. In the world of travel baseball rosters are frozen to eliminate such acts. I'm sure the players and parents who stuck it out all year want their daughter playing the position she earned rather than the coach bringing in a better player to play her position. Coaches, take so pride and win with what you have.

Sounds like SoCal has the same issues as NorCal.
I too posted my 2 cents..
viewtopic.php?f=616&t=67214
“No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar” - Lincoln
AvgMoe

by fontana10! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:37 am

Avgmoe, that was very well put. There's no doubt it's all about the coaches' reputations and egos. Having coached for many years, I couldn't imagine what the parents would've done had I solicited players to take their son's spot so we could "compete" in a large tournament. I felt like those players were part of my family; therefore, I could never pickup a player to play over a player who did everything I asked him/her to do.
fontana10!

by Slappydad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 am

Well it's hard to disagree with your point if the sole purpose for picking up players was to make the team better and replace current players.

However what are your thoughts on teams that are simply looking to add more depth to a small or injured roster? Current players have priority on the field with the new players filling in when needed?
Slappydad

by fontana10! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 am

Slappy those are situations that are very understandable and 99% of people would find that acceptable. I'm referring more to teams that are looking for impact players.
fontana10!

by AvgMoe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:39 am

@ Slappydad - my 2 cents... This is two completely different issues. My issues are with coaches that keep their roster small all year long just so that he can pick up top players from teams that don't make the big tournaments. I have see coaches post that they need a 1B when they have had 2 all year long or they pick up that girl that has a golden arm, but also plays 1st. now that parent has made it clear that if they decide to join the team but their daughter must start at 1st when not pitching. Now the coach has to sit someone just so they get a new pitcher and odds are the new "Golden Child" does not have to pay for anything.

If someone gets hurt that is a different story...
“No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar” - Lincoln
AvgMoe

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

What you are saying is fine for younger organizations. But 18's premier it is recruit, recruit, recruit. If you are not building for next year, you are way behind. Those coaches are not making the promises you guys are referring too. But they are building their team.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch