Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Win with what you have

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Tyler Durden » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:What you are saying is fine for younger organizations. But 18's premier it is recruit, recruit, recruit. If you are not building for next year, you are way behind. Those coaches are not making the promises you guys are referring too. But they are building their team.

Agreed. These complaints usually come from coaches/parents relatively new (or not at yet) to the 18 premier fast pitch model. 10u/12u folks. What they typically don't realize is just what you are saying, which is that 18 Premier coaches don't make those kind of 'loyalty' promises, and at that level, the parents and players understand that.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:10 pm

Well...as aggravating as it is to some...Who is hurt and who benefits?
If you bring a team, apparently its a team you think can win...against anyone...
Sometimes, a LOT of times teams need kids to replace hurt ones...or ones who've jumped ship to play for a bigger name?

But the question begs...who does it hurt?
Who does it help?
Is any kid hurt?...other than maybe feelings...no...
Is any kid helped?...they may get a shot to be seen, whereas if they weren't there, they wouldn't,,, So yes

A 'recruiter' isn't there to watch a team...who wins or loses is basically for team / org credibility...IMHO, that's about coaches ego's...Best coach I've ever known personally never won a National Championship...

Personally I don't think they give a rats a** as to who wins, when they're for a kid...one particular kid...I'm sure they can see thru a team of mercenaries who achieve ' a win' based on pick ups...

Actually...I sorta like the idea of a coach who for some unknown reason who was unable to qualify...to have a berth
To have a team of just to use a term..'misfits' of kids who can be verified as deserving by PGF officials and coaches who deserve a shot to play...maybe kids who cannot afford the travel and fees associated with the BIG NAMES...Come 1 week early...and then play...Can even call themselves...The Merc's....
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Well...as aggravating as it is to some...Who is hurt and who benefits?
If you bring a team, apparently its a team you think can win...against anyone...
Sometimes, a LOT of times teams need kids to replace hurt ones...or ones who've jumped ship to play for a bigger name?

Keep in mind that PGF rules make it more/very difficult to get released from a qualified team to jump ship.

But the question begs...who does it hurt?
Who does it help?
Is any kid hurt?...other than maybe feelings...no...
Is any kid helped?...they may get a shot to be seen, whereas if they weren't there, they wouldn't,,, So yes

The playing time the pick-up receives comes at the expense of someone else.

The people that don't like teams picking up players are often ones that were negatively affected by it themselves or someone they know. People that aren't impacted by it are typically okay with it. Nothing is going to change that.

With the addition of Platinum, the pool of available pick-ups that are impact players is more limited. I think the same thing happened with ASA when they dramatically increased the number of local association berths starting in 2009.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BAM2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Again having players that have been on both sides. My youngest just picked up with a qualified team, her team didn't make it.Her coach was getting calls as well as us. She didn't want to go to just any team. She wanted to go where she would help the team that wanted her, and also, she didn't want to be that player that played while another girl sat that had been there all year long. Mind you, she could play any where and start. She pitches, and is a fourth pitcher on the new team, so if it's to rest others she's aware of that. She plays infield, and easily would give someone some rest on the long week. And she can hit, and if you can do that, well we all know the saying.
So before we picked up, we made it known, she didn't want to be that kid, and we didn't want to be that family, and if she could help then we are in. I think, IMO, if done right, late additions could benefit all involved. We have no egos to be stroked, and the added competition for my dd was well recieved by her.
And on the other hand she would love to pickup on her older sisters team, clean the dugout and be a bat girl, and she would be stoked at that, as long as she didn't have to play against them :roll: :roll: ;)
I know this is not the case for many, hopefully for a few, picking, up with another team will spark the desire to keep working, and, the late pickup will give them the experience of always having to bring your game, and a open and good attitude.
Oh yeah, an the added dues help the team..LOL nothing free here..and added a hour of travel to the experience. I know PALE Rider, nothing like your 600 miles drive for practice. Your still my traveling daddy hero!!!!
BAM2
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:43 am

BAM...don't remind me of my insanity ;)

P-Dad, last year when we went ...we had 5 pickups...had to have 3 to even play...
Got a call from a Dad who was at home outraged because his kid was on the bench and a pickup player was in...
After I 'politely' reminded him I wasn't a coach and had ZERO to do with any of the playing...was actually about 100yds away from the field...The funny thing about his gripe was HE PUSHED 3 of the 5 pick ups to come...Told him to do the math, someone was on the bench...and his kid cant play where mine was...'it is what it is'

Coaches who consistently bring in 'impact' pickups will be well known...Parents of the kids who will ride the pine should take care of that issue a long time before they get to Surf City...It happens every weekend at every tournament...but most of the time its a necessity for a team to even be able to play...And I know some of the big name teams do the same thing on an even wider area basis...but they 'juice up' a tad earlier...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Pale Rider wrote:P-Dad, last year when we went ...we had 5 pickups...had to have 3 to even play...
Got a call from a Dad who was at home outraged because his kid was on the bench and a pickup player was in...
After I 'politely' reminded him I wasn't a coach and had ZERO to do with any of the playing...was actually about 100yds away from the field...The funny thing about his gripe was HE PUSHED 3 of the 5 pick ups to come...Told him to do the math, someone was on the bench...and his kid cant play where mine was...'it is what it is'

Thanks! Your story confirms my post.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Your welcome...I reckon anyway...
but all I did was acknowledge...**it happens...
Very fine line between taking 10-11 kids and having an injury and taking a large #...We've been in a situation of having 10...and one kid was ONLY a pitcher....last time I checked only 9 will be on the field each inning...usually if a coach is serious about winning...it'll be the best 9...Seems that when you bring a weak pick up, the ball will find them...and a brought in mercenary isn't usually a team player...and isn't in rhythm with who can do what...Never seen one fit very well on such a short notice.
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch