Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Oregon 12u Berths

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by fontana10! » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 pm

I have a question for some of the members on this board whom seem to be affiliated with PGF. What exactly determines how many berths will be given at a qualifier? The 12u qualifier in Las Vegas had over 4 times the amount of teams, Arizona as well and Soboba offered 4 berths for over 30 teams. How are 2 berths being given to the four 12u teams playing in the Oregon Qualifier this weekend? Is there a format to how many berths will be given out based on participates, or is it just random?
fontana10!

by luvthegame11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm wondering if the 12uTriple Crown in Reno is impacting the amount of teams going to Oregon. TC has 115 teams coming, most from the west coast and many are darn good teams from SoCal, Texas, Arizona and NorCal. Gotta believe this event's location is having some impact on teams willing to go to Oregon.
luvthegame11

by Kklangan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 pm

The good thing is that 7 teams from NorCal/ Central Cal are now going to be represented at PGF. We may disagree with the method but wish all these teams the very best down south competing amongst the best! Proud of this very talented group of 12u teams and look forward to seeing them all play to their potential at PGF! Way to represent!⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️⚾️
Last edited by Kklangan on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kklangan

by fontana10! » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:13 pm

I told our coach we know where we need to go next year. Not to take anything away from the teams battling it out in Oregon, this just doesn't make sense. I guess PGF just decides as they go how many berths will be given. There needs to be a format.
fontana10!

by Pale Rider » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:25 pm

So...if the berths given far away from Huntington Beach had more teams...
Would they get more berths?
Playing ancient Devils advocate...
ASA only has XX number of berths....some teams chase them, some across the country, seeking the tourneys you refer to ...smaller # of teams...better chance of a berth...and taking the berths given to that tourney...and then complain how far it is to play in ASA Nats?...because its not in your backyard? A few years ago it was a Socal team vs a Socal team who play every week and who are 5 miles apart...playing a 1000 + miles from home...

Makes no difference to me, but wasn't PGF started because teams from the West Coast had to travel to far away distant and compete for berths in the Far Away State's Tourneys?...therefore taking the Far Away States berths?...and have to play each other in BFE...and not 10 miles or so from home...incurring the travel expenses? Large expenses that teams not from SoCal have to fork out...even on overpriced rooms you HAVE to stay in?...
Sorry I don't see the correlation of distance from Huntington Beach and the automatic extra berth(s) to play in PGF...Simply due to do proximity...?
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dozerdog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:35 pm

From what I've been told the give the qualifier an amount of berths and then will give additional if the amount of teams gets to a certain number. That last SoCal qualifier had the number of berths being given bumped up when the number of teams got so high. The number of berths in Portland had nothing to do with the amount of teams. Plus anyone who wanted to make the trip to Portland could have. If you want to complain about something what about the 8 berths they just gave out this last week? 8 at large invites. That should bother you more than 4 teams who where willing to make the trip to Portland.
Dozerdog

by fontana10! » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Dozer so if two teams went to Oregon you agree they should be awarded berths? Why not have a set format (1-8 teams 1 berth, 9-20 teams 2 berths 21- 30 teams 3 berths and so forth). This is just an example. How could anyone argue with a set format? As far as the 8 invites, they all seem to be very solid so I have no issue with that.
fontana10!

by Dozerdog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:02 pm

fontana10! wrote:Dozer so if two teams went to Oregon you agree they should be awarded berths? Why not have a set format (1-8 teams 1 berth, 9-20 teams 2 berths 21- 30 teams 3 berths and so forth). This is just an example. How could anyone argue with a set format? As far as the 8 invites, they all seem to be very solid so I have no issue with that.

I don't agree with a lot of the stuff that PGF does. Just stating what I was told how it works. I don't see them changing things either. People talk about trying to go to PGF instead of ASA to save money and at the end of the day a lot of teams spend more money chasing the berth. I have more of an issue with the invites.
Dozerdog

by PDad » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:32 pm

fontana10! wrote:Dozer so if two teams went to Oregon you agree they should be awarded berths? Why not have a set format (1-8 teams 1 berth, 9-20 teams 2 berths 21- 30 teams 3 berths and so forth). This is just an example. How could anyone argue with a set format?

PGF allocates berths to qualifiers to make sure the number of berths doesn't exceed the number of teams they can handle at Nats, BTW, the number of teams entered at a qualifier doesn't necessarily indicate how many teams are PGF-level.

As far as the 8 invites, they all seem to be very solid so I have no issue with that.

Are you referring to the 8 teams that were invited months ago or the 8 that just received at-large berths?

Some of the at-large berths are used to compensate for qualifiers that deserved additional berths.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fontana10! » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Dozer I agree with the cost of chasing that berth. It's not cheap but I guess that's my fault for doing it......lol. PDad I was referring to first invites. Well it is what it is and Dozer I'm sure you're spot on in regards to things changing. Just isn't going to happen.
fontana10!

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch