Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

DRAW TONIGHT PGF National Qualifier - So Cal

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by 59Invicta » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Doesn't travelling to other states for qualifiers also involve missing school? Seems ironic when the stated goal of all of this is college, which is ultimately an academic endeavor. I hope that my DD will be fortunate enough to play this game in college. For the competition. For the friendships. For the grit and mettle she will develop. But at the end of the day, she will need many years of success after college, and that will be more impacted by her chosen academic program than her softball. We need to keep our eye on the ball here - no pun intended :lol:
59Invicta
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Rotatorcuff wrote:Well Pdad, San Diego players do face a tougher road than OC and LA teams, but that is not PGF's fault. That's solely the fault of CIF and the rules they place on San Diego kids and their contact with travel teams during the school softball season. Whatever rule they choose to follow should be uniform across the state. But that's a topic for another thread.

I apologize for implying that the tourney folks are out to get us. I always get a little frustrated at the beginning of travel season because of CIF"s inconsistent rules.

Your beef is really with CIF-SD because they are the ones that implemented the more restrictive local rule(s).

One idea for large tournament scheduling could be to have championship play on Monday. This would probably affect less teams as more teams are knocked from the tournament. Champions Cup 16U Is the only one I know of that does that. If PGF started Saturday morning, 36 of the 68 teams would be eliminated before 6PM Sunday, another 16 Sunday night and only 16 would advance to Monday

This is a qualifier...what if all berths were determined by Sunday evening. Those teams could choose to stay around to play the championship games or not and be happy with their berth. Take a closer look at the brackets - SoCal qualifier only plays out to berths.

Another idea, for a field of teams this large, would be to carry over two weekends. Nope, never happen

Maybe PGF should start holding Premier classification tourneys in the winter like they pushed through ASA for Gold... :o
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Rotatorcuff wrote:OTB,

Please re-read my posts. You clearly missed my point.

I'm not complaining about the rule; I'm complaining about it not being uniform across the state.

Do you not understand?

And how would my team legally compete in AZ or Vegas, if we follow San Diego Section rules? We had players in CIF championship two weeks ago. We could have went to AZ without any practice to compete against teams that have been practicing together for weeks or months.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. The bucket hasn't changed much. It's and F'd up rule and you know it. People just look for a chance to jump down people's throat on this board. Hypocrite? where did you get that from?

I don't need your sympathy, but understanding would be nice.

Rotatorcuff! Great to see you here...Long time no see!

This was actually discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66025 a month or so ago and I said the same thing you did about wanting the Tom Dodd rule to be adopted by every CIF district in the state.

At the end of the day I have learned to live with the good of us having the rule over the inequity it causes by others not having it, but I do understand and empathize.

I also understand your disdain for the all too common lack of HB patience, etiquette and understanding between members. I was just as guilty as the next guy of attacking someone too quickly because of the anonymity of a screen name or just misunderstanding or just plain being wrong. I decided some time back that I would try my best to no longer participate in this behavior and help take the high road by revealing who I am.

I consider OTB to be a friend of mine (as are you) and I've known him to be a standup guy. Perhaps he overreacted or just plain misunderstood in this case, but I appreciate his candor and conviction nonetheless.

Hope to see you post more, 'Cuff. Your DD had a great HS season and I'm sure that success will continue into the summer.

Best regards,
Jeff Smith aka Fastpitchdad05
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:58 am

Wrong - It is a San Diego Section rule which is under CIF (California Interscholastic Federation). CIF is the state governing body for high school sports. My beef with their rule is because it is not

San Diego Section = "Local"

You are not getting any sympathy because everyone has to deal with some kind of adversity or another. To answer you questions- yes some teams in our state(even our HS conference)are under different rules to some extent. Our leagues include catholic schools which draw from a bigger area. When it comes to local tournaments- 2 hrs can bring me to six different states all with different HS/TB rules. My daughters Junior year in HS 4 members of her TB team were in the State finals(which ended on a Friday) and played in a tourney that Sat/Sun- all the girls on the team had played deep into the state tourney and they had not practiced together since the Feb indoor workouts. They came in second

Some might even argue that playing in pressure games(instead of practices) migh even be an advantage.

I am sorry if you are not getting any sympathy :( for having to live in San Diego(12 month softball weather) Your team has plenty of choices
jonriv

by ontheblack » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:04 am

Rotatorcuff wrote:OTB,

Please re-read my posts. You clearly missed my point.

I'm not complaining about the rule; I'm complaining about it not being uniform across the state.

Do you not understand?

Yes I get it. I cant control how the rest of the world is.I play the hand dealt.

Rotatorcuff wrote:And how would my team legally compete in AZ or Vegas, if we follow San Diego Section rules? We had players in CIF championship two weeks ago. We could have went to AZ without any practice to compete against teams that have been practicing together for weeks or months.

You do the same thing my kid did and other teams have done as well. We finished CIF one day and played the qualifier the next day. We were not the only ones to do so. And we earned a berth.

Rotatorcuff wrote: It's and F'd up rule and you know it. .

So much for not complaining about the rule. No I dont believe its an effed up rule. I fervently support the rule - to the point where my kid's HS AD invited me and a few other TB parents and coaches to a district-wide meeting of ADs prior to the ADsmeeting with CIF. We had a few HS school and TB coaches who wanted to do away with both the "In Season" restrictions and the Dodd rule. We implored the ADs of the high schools in our district to reject the motion to repeal the rule and won, at least for now. I know plenty of folks in OC who would love to have at least the "In Season" restrictions we have here. So not only do I have no sympathy for your position, I probably just moved to the top of your shit list.

I used the word hypocrite because you criticize PGF for not being about the girls and the importance of school, yet you want to do away with the one rule in California HS sports that adds some sanity to this mess and allows the girls to have a break from TB and just be a student athlete for a few short months. And for those girls that dont like their HS school coaches, and its no secret that we have more than few clueless ones here, it saves them from having to deal with them from August until February.
ontheblack

by Rotatorcuff » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:46 am

OTB,

Thank you for re-reading my post. You've seen my point of veiw except for one area.

I'm not opposed to the restrictive rule. I'm opposed that its not enforced statewide. Also, I was not seeing it from your point of view. I was reffering to LA/OC teams being allowed to practice during the HS season, giving them a little more time to prepare for TB season. I would propose that they be allowed 3hrs of practice once a week during the month of May.

No, your not on my shitlist b/c of your beliefs in the rule. There is merit in the rule, but it should be enforced statewide. That was what I meant when I said it was effed.

We were orignally planning to do the AZ qualifier but pulled out near the end. It would have been difficult for our team; we had 6 or 7 players that went deep in CIF playoffs. Championship was on a Saturday......wasn't that the first day of the AZ qualifier?

Congrats on your berth!
Rotatorcuff

by NumeroUno » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:18 pm

Why don't we start a petition right here about it and I will send it to CIF.

No more travel ball during HS games
To many injuries
Burning out players etc

Or petition to get San Diego like everyone else
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:26 pm

NumeroUno wrote:Why don't we start a petition right here about it and I will send it to CIF.

To many injuries
Burning out players etc

I'd sign the first one...great idea, Uno!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:32 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
NumeroUno wrote:Why don't we start a petition right here about it and I will send it to CIF.

To many injuries
Burning out players etc

You want to write it up?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:01 pm

NumeroUno wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

To many injuries
Burning out players etc

You want to write it up?

Okay if I set it up on one of those free petition sites and post the link here?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch