Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF Qualifier Berths?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by ontheblack » Fri May 30, 2014 2:45 pm

My bad. It was a PGF qualifier in Florida where the teams that paid were in. Bruder was smart.

http://www.heybucket.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26076
ontheblack

by exD1dad » Fri May 30, 2014 2:59 pm

newbi which political berth are you referring to?
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri May 30, 2014 3:18 pm

ontheblack wrote:My bad. It was a PGF qualifier in Florida where the teams that paid were in. Bruder was smart.

http://www.heybucket.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26076

Classic. What ever happened to Ben Around? That guy/gal posted some incredibly incendiary stuff and then disappeared into the cornfield, or was it Leavenworth? :lol:
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MSSOFTBALL » Fri May 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Not sure how Impact Gold got both of these teams in. They both came in 3rd in qualifiers that had 2 berths I believe???

PGF site
Qualified Teams: Texas Bombers Futures HTX, So Cal Athletics TO/Mercado, Texas Glory Adkins Campbell, Cal Lite, Corona Angels Tyson, AZ Firecrackers Hinkle, Impact Gold Grotenhuis, Impact Gold Newcomb
MSSOFTBALL

by Atindell » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:11 am

It looks like they are giving 1-3 births to Premier now and the 4th place teams births to Platinum. Both of the 4th place teams (Georgia Elite and Bombers Prospects) got Platinum births.

I am assuming at some point there will be some at large births given to Platinum, or there won't be enough teams.
Atindell

by LeftyHitter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 am

PDad wrote:
onlooker wrote:Ahhhhhhhh!!!! That's all on Faster. I took his numbers. hehe. However, does "who" signed up even matter? if the entrants # is accurate, "who" doesn't matter, "how many" does. at least that's what im thinking? good chance I may not understand proper math.

Faster's list of qualifiers is incomplete. In the Midwest, there are actually 2 more qualifiers in IL and IN.

However, you both combined entries from multiple qualifiers and treated each entry as a unique team.
onlooker wrote:good math, but to add to that, 1 per 30 if Illinois, 1 per 20 if Ohio, 1 per 18 if Indiana are the worst odds numerically (meaningless to talent) or 3 per 68 if midwest. ...

There are only 52 teams in the 68 entries for those 3 qualifiers due to some teams entering 2-3 events, so the ratio is really 3 per 52 (1 per 17.3).

Of the 103 entries in the 5 mid-western qualifiers, there are only 62 teams. So, that makes it 5 berths for 62 teams (1 per 12.4).

Some of the events are billed as showcases, so not all the teams are trying to qualify. Here's a summary of the number of entries per team:
- 3 teams entered 4 events
- 9 teams entered 3 events
- 14 teams entered 2 events
- 36 teams only entered 1 event, so I doubt they're trying to qualify for a PGF berth.

I say the real odds are closer to 5 per 26, which is 1 per 5.2 teams.

Be careful making some of those assumptions. I know some of those 36 teams tried to enter one or both of the IL qualifiers but were turned away because they were full. The one with 19 entries (not sure how that number works?) didn't list how many teams were on the waiting list, but we thought we were in and were told our check didn't arrive in time. The other one with 30 teams has six listed on the waiting list and I know of at least a handful more that didn't bother when they saw that. PGF is growing fast in this area of the Midwest. There used to be just one qualifier, now there is five. It probably does make sense that the region gets around 5 total berths (though I think if you look there's been a couple more than that from the area in the past PGF Nationals), but I'm not sure having 5 qualifiers for the 5 berths is the right thing. It was surprising to me that they were limiting entries at some of these and I hope they address not taking all entries by the deadline for qualifiers in the future.

This is not sour grapes, I coach for an org. that just expanded to an 18U team and is trying to fill what we see as a need in this area. We probably aren't yet to the level to compete at Premier Nationals and may never be, we're more of a Platinum team (if that) right now. The coaches have had DD's that played in Huntington Beach (all have graduated now), so we are aware of what it takes it get there and compete. We're just trying to help the next group of kids realize their dream of playing in college and these qualifiers are part of a means to an end.
LeftyHitter

by PDad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 pm

LeftyHitter wrote:Be careful making some of those assumptions. I know some of those 36 teams tried to enter one or both of the IL qualifiers but were turned away because they were full.
OK, My odds are still way more accurate than what was presented by others.

The one with 19 entries (not sure how that number works?) didn't list how many teams were on the waiting list, but we thought we were in and were told our check didn't arrive in time.
The Mizuno showcase had 20 teams until the Originals qualified last weekend in KS. PGF website shows 7 more teams started the process (Homer Hawks Perryman, Illinois Bash Premier, Indiana Magic Gold, Indiana Xplosion - Gedde, Michigan Bulldogs, Morton Mystic and St Louis Esprit - Heifner) and they should get the chance to replace teams that qualified.

The other one with 30 teams has six listed on the waiting list and I know of at least a handful more that didn't bother when they saw that. PGF is growing fast in this area of the Midwest. ....

There are 6 more entries since I compared them and some of them may have entered multiple qualifiers.

There will be always be limits. The SoCal qualifier is full with 72 18U teams for 4 berths and 15 more teams on the list.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by newbi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I know I have complained recently but I wanted to say we had a good experience this weekend good fields and great umpires. Even though we lost early I thought PGF did a good job this weekend.
newbi

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 am

Newbi good luck this summer :)
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by extiger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:57 am

newbi wrote:We are a 16U team trying to earn a berth to PGF from Southern California. We are entered in the Las Vegas event that has maxed out at 48 teams. Why are they only giving 2 berths at a tournament of this size? They just had a qualifier in Northern CA for the 12U division that had 29 teams and they awarded 4 berths. They have a 16U qualifier in CO this summer that has 9 teams signed up and they are awarding 2 berths. If PGF is interested in getting the best teams it seems like the number of berths at these tournaments should be based on the size of the qualifier. What tournament is going to produce the best competition - 48 teams in Vegas or the 9 teams in CO????? Teams shouldn't have to travel various states looking for the smallest amount of entries to try and improve their odds!

The berths are decided way before they even know how many teams will participate in the qualifier. Prior to registration each qualifier is assigned a certain number of berths to accommodate Premier Nationals. If I'm correct 16U premier nationals is open to 64 teams. The only way they can add more berths is to not give out invites.
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch