Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF blind draw?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by kevin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 pm

Is PGF still a blind draw? Without protection by region based on where you qualify etc?
kevin

by jmo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:39 pm

kevin wrote:Is PGF still a blind draw? Without protection by region based on where you qualify etc?

The answer is Yes to a blind draw without protection. The first year PGF had protection but due to the preference of a majority of coaches, we took the protection out!!
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:21 pm

The protection was a big problem the first year in 16U because it gave first round byes almost exclusively to Cal teams. It wouldn't be an issue now for Premier 14U-18HS with the reduced number of Cal teams and the 64+ team brackets, especially if PGF didn't protect between NorCal and SoCal. It would probably still be an issue for 12U and Platinum.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Atindell » Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 am

Look at the North Texas Draw and let me know if you really believe it is blind.

29 teams and 3 1st round bye's all to West Coast teams. 10 Friday night games and all of them Texas/Louisiana teams. 80% of the teams are from Texas and what is the chance you will get a first round bye..... There is a statistician out there that can do the math, but my bet is that is about a 3% chance you get the 1st round bye and less than 1% that all three would be from outside the state.

If that was blind draw they need to buy some lotto tickets while they are here.
Atindell

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue May 13, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm having trouble pulling up those brackets. Anyone else with the same problem? Are they being modified as I write? Why is it that Texas has all the high profile conspiracies. :lol:
Last I checked California Governor Moonbeam still lets Californians travel to Texas during the week :mrgreen:
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Tue May 13, 2014 4:03 pm

Atindell wrote:Look at the North Texas Draw and let me know if you really believe it is blind.

29 teams and 3 1st round bye's all to West Coast teams. 10 Friday night games and all of them Texas/Louisiana teams. 80% of the teams are from Texas and what is the chance you will get a first round bye..... There is a statistician out there that can do the math, but my bet is that is about a 3% chance you get the 1st round bye and less than 1% that all three would be from outside the state.

If it were a blind draw:
- The odds for any team to get a first round bye was 10.3448%.
- The odds of all 3 byes going to the 6 West Coast teams (AZ & CA) was 1 in 182.7 or .5473%.

There is also a team from GA that didn't get a bye.

BTW, this thread was about PGF Nationals...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue May 13, 2014 4:07 pm

PDad wrote:
Atindell wrote:Look at the North Texas Draw and let me know if you really believe it is blind.

If it were a blind draw:
- The odds for any team to get a first round bye was 10.3448%.
- The odds of all 3 byes going to the 6 West Coast teams (AZ & CA) was 1 in 182.7 or .5473%.

There is also a team from GA that didn't get a bye.

BTW, this thread was about PGF Nationals...

So do you believe that blind draws may not happen at qualifiers?
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Tue May 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:So do you believe that blind draws may not happen at qualifiers?

I believe some draws are blinder than others... ;)

My underestanding is qualifiers are run by local people, so that would be incredibly hospitable of them to give the byes to out-of-area teams. It's not like these were pool games.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by taking2 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 am

The Texas qualifier is being run by Texas Glory. The same Texas Glory that gets automatic berths to PGF Natls in the 14u, 16u and 18 gold age groups. That's right, they don't have to qualify, they are already invited. It is no coincidence that the Cal teams got byes in the first round. Shelton has to return the favor.

The whole thing is crap. These Cal teams should be treated like everyone else. If you want to try and sneak a berth out of Texas because you can't get it in through the Cal qualifiers, then you should have to be there Friday night like everyone else. If you can't make it due to travel, oh well, go rob a berth from another state's qualifier.

At least the bombers had pool games in their qualifier...Glory is packing in too many teams at $500+ each for a 2 game guarantee. Hence, the need to play on Friday in the first place.

Let the Cal teams qualify in Cal and the Texas teams qualify in Texas.

It was said in another string..."new boss, same as the old boss". Quite fitting for the PGF brass. PGF was gaining so much traction, they will fade soon enough because they are making the same mistakes that they claimed they were against when ASA was the boss.
taking2

by jonriv » Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 am

Why would there be first round byes?? Shouldn't all teams have to play through similar bracket play? You play who you play- that's why it's double elim instead of single elin, no?
jonriv

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch