Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PFG Trip

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Safebyahare » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 am

I'll take a blind stab at this.
The additional cost is called subsidizing rooms for "others".
That way maybe, just maybe PGF can offer college scouts to come to event, and they stay for free.
If umps have to be brought in, they may get their rooms as well.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:33 am

Perhaps- but why have only the out of staters subsidize?
jonriv

by jonriv » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 am

Maybe that is an hourly rate? :D
jonriv

by PDad » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 am

aojr03 wrote:
PDad wrote:
aojr03 wrote:In the last 4 years as ASA Nats we didn't use the host hotels and did not have to pay a fine. And why is the entry fee not enough for a team to pay? Why pay an additional 300 - 500 additional per parent for hotel stay? It's on the West Coast, not around the corner for any teams not in So Cal. Is it really necessary to fine a team $500 for not staying at a host hotel who's rates are grossly increased from the normal rate? I understand it is a business also and there's a cost of doing business. But at a 300 per parent rate hike, and lets say 10 rooms. $3,000 bucks, really? (and i'm low ballin) I thought by guaranteeing a hotel a certain amount of volume there would be a lower, negotiated rate. Not a HIGHER, negotiated rate.

Our experience at ASA/USA Nats in 2009 and 2010 was different than yours. Every hotel in those areas knew 20 months in advance they'd all be close to capacity, so they all jacked up their rates for just that week.

$3,000 is low ballin'? Only idiots would overpay more than the buyout amount. Exaggerations like that don't help your credibility...

BTW, congrats to your team, Wagner's Gold Dunn, on their 2nd place finish at 18G Nats last year. Good luck, Anthony!

Not sure exactly what you are inferring and i'm not trying to gain credibility, just clarity. And we were at Moline, Tennessee and Alabama for ASA Nats. Not one hotel rate was jacked up. Paid less than 70/night for area hotel in
Alabama in 2012 and paid 64.99 this past summer in Clearwater. So if the rate is 64.00 (which i got from hotel in Cali) and same hotel is 115 thru PGF, thats a $51 hike. Multiply by 9 days and 10 rooms you have $4,590.00. So yea, 3,000 is low ballin, P-Dad.

The rates in 2009 (Sioux Falls, SD) were jacked up 40-50% compared to the week before/after and they were also higher in Moline. In fact, our team showed up at our hotel in 2010 and declined to check in because it was a mess. Everyone scrambled to find other accommodations and ended up in better properties at rates lower than our original hotel and lower than what was available in advance. AlwaysImprove has posted similar experiences to where they adopted a strategy to deal with it.

I contacted the travel service to find out which hotel you're talking about and expect it's the Days Inn FV/HB. I tried checking their rates online for that week, but no rooms are available. I checked the following week and the regular rate is $106 and $85 for prepaid, non-refundable 3+night stay. I tried calling, but the manager that handles reservations that far in advance won't be in today so I can't verify your claim of a $64 rate.

I certainly don't expect PGF to pass on the savings they negotiate with the hotels. The $1,500 buyout fee works out to $10-15 per room-night for most teams which is probably what they expect to make on their deals.

The point is there are options outside the PGF hotels. There are lots of options besides the PGF hotels. Do whatever works for your team.
Last edited by PDad on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:00 pm

aojr03 I know more than a little bit about commercials having been in close to 100 TV spots from '89 to '02 & I was merely stating fact :D

I know of a SoCal Athletics team that had their players stay in a hotel & rent vans 2 years ago @ PGF so it's not just out of state teams

Uno said it best "it's a business" Spaz pointed out the reality of room rates here in SoCal (my DW calls Hemet "the armpit of SoCal" probably cuz she's not into parachuting & hot air balloons :roll:) & most importantly like airlines, hotels change prices for dates of high occupancy & seasons.

In the end, you get what you pay for & compared to volleyball Travel teams & some other sports (here in SoCal anyway) softball is a bargain!
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aojr03 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Well whatever, i guess i'm not smart enough to know what i'm talking about. I'm just spouting off like i was actually in Moline and booked the rooms for the team. Or not diligent enough to just get on a computer and do a bit of research, make a call or two or add and subtract. So be it, not going to change anything I guess. Gotta pay the Vig.
aojr03

by Battle » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:55 pm

aojr03 wrote:Well whatever, i guess i'm not smart enough to know what i'm talking about. I'm just spouting off like i was actually in Moline and booked the rooms for the team. Or not diligent enough to just get on a computer and do a bit of research, make a call or two or add and subtract. So be it, not going to change anything I guess. Gotta pay the Vig.

:lol: ...You should know better than to question the integrity of PGF... :roll:

Are they quoting you rates for December compared to July/August? If so, your answer probably lies within this:

most importantly like airlines, hotels change prices for dates of high occupancy & seasons
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by PDad » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:49 pm

aojr03 wrote:Well whatever, i guess i'm not smart enough to know what i'm talking about. I'm just spouting off like i was actually in Moline and booked the rooms for the team. Or not diligent enough to just get on a computer and do a bit of research, make a call or two or add and subtract. So be it, not going to change anything I guess. Gotta pay the Vig.

I rushed my last post and didn't get to wrap it up like I wanted. I went back and corrected it because Sioux Falls was the one I found with rates jacked up excessively (40-50%) in 2009.

As far as ASA rates went, I think we looked at it differently. From your standpoint, the rates weren't jacked up because they were the same whether you went directly to the hotel or through the tournament. I compared the tournament rates with the hotel's regular rates the week before and after the tournament. The rates in Normal and Moline were only a little higher (10-15%) than their regular rates.

Regarding PGF rates and what I found with the regular published rates, you have a legitimate gripe with the PGF rates. However, I don't know whether the culprit is PGF or the lodging coordinator, Traveling Teams. It is certainly advisable that teams do their due diligence before booking with Traveling Teams because the $1,500 buyout may be a better deal.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aojr03 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:28 pm

It could very well be Traveling Teams and not PGF. Either way, we will try and work things out. Thanks.
aojr03

by faster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:43 am

Safebyahare wrote:I'll take a blind stab at this.
The additional cost is called subsidizing rooms for "others".
That way maybe, just maybe PGF can offer college scouts to come to event, and they stay for free.
If umps have to be brought in, they may get their rooms as well.

Nailed it!!!!
faster
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch