Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Invites for 2014

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by PDad » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 pm

aojr03 wrote:
PDad wrote:
aojr03 wrote:Is there a qualifier in Florida?

Yes, but it is always poorly attended. Only 3 18U teams entered this year and none were from the south (NJ, IN and AZ). They should move it to Georgia.

Ahh i see. How did GCH and TNF get them? And I dont think besides them 2 and maybe 1 other team could even compete.

GCH and TNF got invites - see http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/ho ... r_news.php for how teams got in.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aojr03 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Ohhh ok. I see. lol. Got to be in the "in" crowd to get an invite..lol. Actually probably have to be a really good, proven team to get an invite. Well i guess we will try next year.
aojr03

by softballmafia » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:34 pm

WOW.....it looks like teams like Firecrackers/rico, Corona Angels/tyson,etc might have to work and try to quailfy next year....how exciting
softballmafia

by PDad » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

softballmafia wrote:WOW.....it looks like teams like Firecrackers/rico, Corona Angels/tyson,etc might have to work and try to quailfy next year....how exciting

Rico's 7th place finish gets him a returning berth. Tyson finished 13th again and I expect he'll get another invite.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sbparent12 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:57 am

#32 wrote:
softballfan33 wrote:Someone commented that some invites would be based on finish this year. Is that for all age groups? Does it go to the team manager? organization? maintaining rosters? Where did you have to place to get those invites - top 3, 4, 8?

I didn't realize that the invite process had changed... Or I guess that would actually equate to "earning" a bid and not really an invite, but regardless, does anyone know how this works?

My understanding is top 7 in all ages. Originally heard top 3 which would equate to 4 teams in every age. Maybe PGF can clarify?

It would be nice to reward top 4 only and make all others earn a berth. Before I continue, I have zero issues with any team; but hearing about teams getting berths handed out after failing to qualify really takes away the accomplishments of those teams that earned a berth? Bownet has a solid team but didn't qualify yet I watched them in premier? They had 74 players too!!! Irvine Sting? I watched them too and they should've been in platinum? How did Pure Fastpitch get into platinum? Not by playing into PGF? These examples make one wonder if this is just the good ole boys club? PF and Sting didn't back in by playing enough qualifiers either, so why them and not others?

Congrats to all those teams that went out and earned a berth to PGF!!! Well done ladies. :D :) :mrgreen:

Isn't that how PGF got started....by handing out berths to their good ole boy buddies?
sbparent12

by jackjack » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Considering all 8 teams to make it to Friday were either invited or qualified in the '12 tournament, isn't it a good thing for the qualifiers that some teams receive invites? If there weren't, there is a chance some team that would otherwise earn a birth might draw, say, an Alabama-bound pitcher in the first round of a qualifier and fail to qualify. Would you rather go and have other teams receive invites or not get a chance to go at all and never even have a chance to win?
jackjack

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 pm

The invited teams ensure the strength of the tournament. Right now, PGF gets to write the book on how to develop a great tournament. The arguing over berths, just shows how big/important this tournament has become.

I hope that PGF continues to successfully identify and listen to the top 40-50 teams in the country at each age group. Everyone else will show up to play in that pool. In hindsight the formula for success here was easy. Figuring out the details and executing on it, that has been great to watch.

IMHO the tournament in Florida should stay in Florida. You already have the strongest teams in Georgia attending the tournament. Florida is still coming to grips with what has happened on the Nationals scene. Keep using tournaments and invites to attract the best teams, the rest will show up.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 1998_superstar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:32 pm

PDad wrote:
aojr03 wrote:Is there a qualifier in Florida?

Yes, but it is always poorly attended. Only 3 18U teams entered this year and none were from the south (NJ, IN and AZ). They should move it to Georgia.

We are pushing hard for one or even two in GA. In 16s there were 12 teams that went to Fla and all three that got berth were Ga. teams.
1998_superstar

by Aces High » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Just a defense of Bownet's credentials since their berth into the 18u Premier tournament was brought up in this thread.

(gathered this info from their gamechanger https://www.gamechanger.io/t/summer-201 ... 4/schedule)

Looks like Bownet went 10-1 this summer against teams that participated in the 18u Platinum:

2-0 SoCal Fillys (6-2, 10-2)
1-0 AZ Hotshots McCord (8-0)
1-0 Fresno Force (3-1)
1-0 Lady Magic (8-3)
1-0 OC Dynasty 13-0)
1-0 OC Impact (7-5)
1-0 SoCal Jets (1-0)
1-0 TNL Downs (11-6)
1-1 SoCal 3-D (1-3, 3-2)

Bownet beat 7 teams this summer that qualified for the 18u Premier:
Arizona Firecrackers, East Coast Firecrackers, Lakewood Firecrackers, Texas Firecrackers, USA A's, Arizona Storm - Brun, SoCal Breakers

Bownet finished top 10 in several of the top tournaments this summer:
T-5 of 124 at Triple Crown Colorado Fireworks
T-5 of 84 at Surf City Summer Showcase
T-7 of 38 in PGF NorCal Salinas qualifier
T-9 of 71 in PGF SoCal qualifier

Also won their Premier pool play games by a combined score of 17-0, and they were one of 16 teams that had to play an extra game in the premier bracket before the field of 64 began playing.
Aces High

by softballmafia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Like your stats for a first post.......still you only quailfied for platinum like everyone else and that is where you should have been.
softballmafia

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch