Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Las Vegas Qualifier - Brackets Posted FINAL

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by jonriv » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:53 am

PDad I feel your pain......

This seems to happen whenever a tournament is shortened. People don't read or understand the rules and everyone starts freakin' out. Have seen it TOO many times
jonriv

by MoeFoes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 am

PDad wrote:
MoeFoes wrote:
PDad wrote:
Luther wrote:The BB Lost the Championship game to FC-Young and they got a berth for doing so.

Yes, by virtue of having beaten FC-Y in the winners bracket. If another team had knocked FC-Y into the losers bracket, FC-Y would have gotten the berth based on head-to-head competition.

I get it now...... So lets recap...
The win loss rule only apply to winners bracket wins..... No and that didn't come into play. OCBB's win over FC-Y in the winners bracket meant the teams split the head-to-head (first tiebreaker), so it went to the next one - furthest in the winners bracket.
The term Advanced the furthest in the winners bracket actually means "The team that went undefeated the longest in bracket play" not who was on top when the tournament was called? Yes!
Brackets are only for the games up to the championship game. After which they are no longer brackets? Winners and losers brackets - yes!
If both teams in the final have suffered a loss they are both in the losers bracket fighting to be the Losers Champion? And here you go off the tracks again trying to continue winners and losers brackets into the championship games...
The winner of the 1st championship game is actually still the loser if they came from the losers bracket. If they win the 2nd championship "If" game then they become the Losers Champion since they can never re-enter the winners bracket?
And if all else fails its "Because I said so" :? YES! Me, the quote from Wikipedia and everyone else that understands double elimination brackets...

You were making progress until you suffered a relapse... If the winners and losers brackets continue as you keep insisting, which bracket contains the first championship game? How do you know that based on the way the brackets drawn? There are 3 elements shown on every game - the 2 teams playing and the team that won - and you can't tie all 3 to either the winners or losers bracket based on the way they are drawn.

Thanks PDAD and HB peeps. I had an umpire break it down to me. Brackets are maps design to show how a team advances. (Time, when, who, & how). Once you enter into the championship game you are no longer in bracket play because essentially there is no other game to advance to. The "If" game is the same championship game with both teams suffering a loss. So BB is by definition the team that went the furthest in the winners bracket. FC winning the 1st championship game only made them equal by each having a loss. BB needed to beat FC 1 game and FC needed to beat BB 2 games. BB failed in their attempt because FC won. FC failed because the tournament was cancelled.
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes

by jonriv » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:30 am

I love tournaments that require a Mathmatics degree to gigure out :D
jonriv

by PDad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:40 pm

MoeFoes wrote:... BB failed in their attempt because FC won. FC failed because the tournament was cancelled.

:roll: It's always someone else's fault, huh? :lol:

Both teams had a chance to win it outright on the field and both failed to do so. The "If" game wouldn't have been necessary if FC-Y won the winners bracket or OCBB won the first championship game.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MoeFoes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:30 pm

PDad wrote:
MoeFoes wrote:... BB failed in their attempt because FC won. FC failed because the tournament was cancelled.

Both teams had a chance to win it outright on the field and both failed to do so. The "If" game wouldn't have been necessary if FC-Y won the winners bracket or OCBB won the first championship game.

I didn't actually blame anyone but we can continue if you like on the topic of how things were ran?
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes

by ontheblack » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

or the fact that it probably shouldnt have been played in the first place.
ontheblack

by PDad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 pm

MoeFoes wrote:
PDad wrote:

I didn't actually blame anyone but we can continue if you like on the topic of how things were ran?

Oh really? You blamed FC's "failure" on the the cancellation of the tournament while giving FC credit for OCBB "failure". You obviously believe FC would have won the "If" game if it was finished, but no one knows for sure - OCBB could have rallied.

If you like, you can continue about how things were ran or how PGF chose to award at-large bids afterwards to other teams instead of yours. Knock yourself out. I might serve you some cheese to go with your whine.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MoeFoes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Oops. I'm sorry. The cancellation of the tournament had no bearing on the outcome. And I believe all the "at large berths" we're given out before the conclusion of the last qualifier.
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes

by PDad » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:15 am

MoeFoes wrote:Oops. I'm sorry. The cancellation of the tournament had no bearing on the outcome.
The tournament wasn't cancelled - it was "shortened" (PGF's term). We'll never know whether that affected which team got the berth because the last game was not completed.

And I believe all the "at large berths" we're given out before the conclusion of the last qualifier.

At least one of the at-large berths was handed out after Vegas. Take a look at the list of 16U teams that "qualified" - PGF National Qualifier & Championship info. I'll make it easy for you - here is the end of the 16U list and I highlighted the teams that qualified the last 2 weekends (06/27-29 Indianapolis, IN, 06/28-30 Portland, OR, 06/29-30 Las Vegas, NV and 07/4-7 Midwest Showcase):

... Firecrackers Kay, NW Blaze, CA Kryptonite, OC Batbusters Ted, MS Batbusters, Orland Park A's CSD, New Lenox Lightning McKendry, Absolute Blast
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MoeFoes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 pm

PDad wrote:
MoeFoes wrote:Oops. I'm sorry. The cancellation of the tournament had no bearing on the outcome.
The tournament wasn't cancelled - it was "shortened" (PGF's term). We'll never know whether that affected which team got the berth because the last game was not completed.

And I believe all the "at large berths" we're given out before the conclusion of the last qualifier.

At least one of the at-large berths was handed out after Vegas. Take a look at the list of 16U teams that "qualified" - PGF National Qualifier & Championship info. I'll make it easy for you - here is the end of the 16U list and I highlighted the teams that qualified the last 2 weekends (06/27-29 Indianapolis, IN, 06/28-30 Portland, OR, 06/29-30 Las Vegas, NV and 07/4-7 Midwest Showcase):

... Firecrackers Kay, NW Blaze, CA Kryptonite, OC Batbusters Ted, MS Batbusters, Orland Park A's CSD, New Lenox Lightning McKendry, Absolute Blast

Yeah I put that one together. I wondered why they wouldn't have 2 berths for the tourney in Vegas with the "At large" still available. It was because it wasn't available. Sucked for those 40 teams playing in Indy for 1 berth. I did notice that on Tuesday morning there were 65 teams either registered or starting the process. Kinda weird for a 64 team tourney and then I saw on Wednesday afternoon it was down to 64.
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes

Previous

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch