Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

ASA vs PREMIER? 40 Feet vs 43 Feet 14u 2013??

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by WarEagle/Ga. Boy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:00 am

Being from Georgia most kids are compared East Coast to West Coast. That being said my DD was fortunate enough to play in the Premer Nationals this year and man was I impressed with the players from the West Coast. I've read some of the comments made about 40 feet vs 43 feet at 14's and was kind of Shocked :o considering most elite Pitchers come from the West Coast.
Now to the purpose of this Post. ASA will be voting to back up to 43 Feet for 14's this year 2013. When does Preimier Meet to make next year Changes? Is this a topic worth bring up at the next vote of Changes to be considered? Also will this give ASA a leg up over Premier as far as Nationals is concerned next year? Some say with doing so it will give ASA the edge of drawing a better crowd this year 2013 to Nationals.

Note: I'm just curious as to how West Coast Teams, Premier, Coaches, Parents and Players feel with the possible changes for 14U ASA is making.

Mark Sullins
WarEagle/Ga. Boy

by ontheblack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 pm

If ASA goes to 43', PGF will too.

I used to think it was a bad idea. Now I think they should. It could add some sanity to 14U and 16U.
ontheblack

by ontheblack » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:46 am

Spazsdad wrote:14u at 43' makes as much sense as staggering ASA and PGF so teams can play both.

As long as HS is at 43', many 14s will play at 43'. Most 2nd year 14s are now playing 16U until HS, then they drop back in the summer. Even then, several 14s played 16s in Colorado.
ontheblack

by WarEagle/Ga. Boy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Now Spazsdad be careful for what you wish for there is a rumor going around that might happen in 2014. Talks from my understanding have already been put in place to adjust each so that the best Teams can compete in both (just saying).
It could be a good thing to have the best of each competing for the top prize for both. I know one Firecracker Team that would like a shot at both.

Mark Sullins
WarEagle/Ga. Boy

by Phantomz08 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm

If they are in high school, then they should be pitching from 43 feet on their select teams. Anything less makes me wonder how it could be good for the pitcher.
If it ain't broke, why fix it??
Phantomz08
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Probably makes sense 4 teams that have any pitching. But a lot of teams do not have two pitchers good enough to be competitive at 43. Where the pitching is the thinnest is at 16u n I see the most mercy games at this age.
Makina

by arkansassoftball » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:21 pm

I think moving 14U to 43 is a very bad idea. 16U/18U is way to watered down with too many teams as it is. If 14U moves to 43, theres no motivation to stay at 14U. Everyone will think their kid needs to go straight from 12U to 14U, just like a few years back when everyone was skipping 16U. Now 16U is a great competitive age group again. I wish they'd pass a rule that no kids can skip an age group, they all have to play their same age. Let teams play up in "Open" events, but for Qualifying and Nationals you have to play your true age. This would make all ages very competitive.
arkansassoftball

by MavFan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 am

arkansassoftball wrote:I think moving 14U to 43 is a very bad idea. 16U/18U is way to watered down with too many teams as it is. If 14U moves to 43, theres no motivation to stay at 14U. Everyone will think their kid needs to go straight from 12U to 14U, just like a few years back when everyone was skipping 16U. Now 16U is a great competitive age group again. I wish they'd pass a rule that no kids can skip an age group, they all have to play their same age. Let teams play up in "Open" events, but for Qualifying and Nationals you have to play your true age. This would make all ages very competitive.

And if there wasn't the dream of the college softball scholarship involved then I would totally agree with you. But sadly, it isn't really about making all age groups very competitive its about getting the prize.

Why do you think the 16U age group is now back to being competitive? It is because that is where the uncommitted kids are playing, not because they are all 15 and 16. I would say a great number of the players playing at 16U are 14U players playing up, because they want to play with the same rules and dimensions they do in high school.
MavFan

by UmpSteve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:43 am

MavFan wrote:
arkansassoftball wrote:I think moving 14U to 43 is a very bad idea. 16U/18U is way to watered down with too many teams as it is. If 14U moves to 43, theres no motivation to stay at 14U. Everyone will think their kid needs to go straight from 12U to 14U, just like a few years back when everyone was skipping 16U. Now 16U is a great competitive age group again. I wish they'd pass a rule that no kids can skip an age group, they all have to play their same age. Let teams play up in "Open" events, but for Qualifying and Nationals you have to play your true age. This would make all ages very competitive.

And if there wasn't the dream of the college softball scholarship involved then I would totally agree with you. But sadly, it isn't really about making all age groups very competitive its about getting the prize.

Why do you think the 16U age group is now back to being competitive? It is because that is where the uncommitted kids are playing, not because they are all 15 and 16. I would say a great number of the players playing at 16U are 14U players playing up, because they want to play with the same rules and dimensions they do in high school.

So, what is wrong with the status quo? If the best 14U pitchers capable of being effective at 43' are already playing up, why is it necessary to to force those NOT ready to play at 43'??

It seems to me that the adjustment from 10U (35' and 11" ball) to 12U (40' and 12" ball) is huge. Why not let the majority of kids stay where they are then for 4 years before adjusting again?

Again, remember we are talking about the entire nation of softball players playing in the 14U age group, including rec leagues, that will need to make that change if it is implemented, and they will have no options, no other level to play at. Is that necessary to satisfy the small minority of 14U pitchers that already have an opportunity and option to do what they are doing, play up to 16U??

Forget what high school does; NFHS has no option to separate what is best at different ages, by its' very nature it must encompass all 4 years of high school. High school also allows pitchers to step back; should we change ASA and Premier to allow that, too?
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WarEagle/Ga. Boy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

arkansassoftball: I would like to make a comment on the Water down pitchers at 16/18 you must play ball somewhere else other then the Southeast, Texas, Oklahoma or Cali because its not watered down at all.

USFA Rule 5004: add 14U to the age groups allowed to wear metal cleats
14U - USFA will continue to allow each state to decide on the 40ft & 43ft pitching distance, however the vast majority of states have opted to follow suit with the High Schools and offer 43ft events. Both distances will be offered at the 2012 World Series.

NSA rule change for 2012: *In 2012 states have the option to pitch from 40 or 43 feet. The 14 & U World Series will be from 43 feet. page 91 of NSA rule book.

USSSA Rule 1.1 Pitching Distances – Pitching distance for 13U on up will be 43 Ft.

Not saying its right or wrong but these are some of the others to make changes last year in 2012.

Mark Sullins
WarEagle/Ga. Boy

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch