Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF Championship Game Question??

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by sofballin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 am

With 1 out and a 2-2 count on the batter, both base runners (1st & 2nd) were released on the pitch. The first time, the batter fouled the pitch off. The very next pitch, the base runners were released again, the ball was batted to the 3B. The 3B bobbled the ball and was late in her attempt to get the force out at 3B. This move (releasing the base runners) could've been the move that won the game for the So Cal A's.

Here is my question...........
Was that a hit and run or a straight steal?

Did the Firecrackers consider a pitchout, especially after the first attempt being fouied off?

If not a hit and run, a very risky move, expecting the pitcher to throw a strike and also expecting contact from the batter.

Big risk, big reward!!

Congrats to the A's.
sofballin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BigSoftball » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Hit and run. You want to minimize the chance of a DP, and maximize the chance your runner scores on a hit. A line drive is probably a DP in any case, so you might as well send 'em.

As for the pitch out, some teams do more than others. The A's might know the FC tendencies.

It turned out to be a crucial call, but even if they had got the force at third, Geer's hit ties the game and who knows from there.
BigSoftball

by Makina » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Softballin - I'm curious, how did you know that a hit and run was called both times?
Makina

by Informal » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 am

sofballin wrote:Here is my question...........
Was that a hit and run or a straight steal?

Makina wrote:Softballin - I'm curious, how did you know that a hit and run was called both times?

:?:
Informal

by sofballin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 pm

If I put myself in the 3B coaching box, the ONLY thing that makes sense, is a hit and run.

What's at risk?
1. Line drive, game ending, double play.
2. Swing'n a miss, strike'm out throw'm out, game ending double play.

Knowing the pitcher and being able to count on a ball pitched anywhere near the plate, a hit'n run is not much of a risk.

Knowing the batter and understanding her ability to make contact on any pitch near the plate, the "strike'm out throw'm out" can be ruled out.

Bottom line.... risk #2 can be ruled out.

More to gain, than to lose by releasing the base runners.

I love the aggressiveness and will add this strategy to my offensive arsenal.

Of course the batter's ability to put a ball in play is the pivotal factor in this decision making process.

Credit must be given to the batter.

My 2nd question.... pitchout? After all, the A's did tip their hand by releasing the base runners on the previous pitch.

What did the FC's have to lose by pitching out?
sofballin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Scooby26 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:06 am

I watched the game on TV last night. From my perspective it just looked like the lead runner got a good jump off the base and a really good read on the ball hit on the ground. She had very little hesitation from the jump to actually going on the read but I don't believe it was either a hit and run or steal--just an excellent read by a very fast girl. JMO
Scooby26

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch