Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF Finals Today !!!!

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:10 pm

dodgerblue wrote:I kind of look at it this way "Super Org" = Puppy Mill.
Who made up the Super Org comment. You need to patent that saying its almost as good as "Play With Honor" :D

Not sure if I made it up, but I'm headed to the patent office right now! :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:12 pm

dodgerblue wrote:I was talking with my DD future college coach in Colorado while watching my DD play they looked over on the other field where they have another recruit that plays for a "super org" and I said this works out for you cause you can watch both recruits. She responded no we'll stay right here because she never plays.

:shock: W O W! :shock:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:34 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Trophy Hunter wrote:It's fine to go with those big org type teams to help with recruiting, but once you have a deal, you really need to be on a team where you are playing, a lot. The school that just gave you deal expects you to understand that you now have a responsibility to show up for college ready to play. If you aren't playing in TB, you aren't getting ready to play in college, so you need to find a team where you will play.

If more players and parents realize this, it should increase the parity across travel ball, as more D1 recruits find teams where they'll play, leaving fewer riding the pine for the big orgs.

So you're saying use the "super org" to get recruited and then bail on them if you don;t get playing time?

There's got to be a better way.

I just realized what that way is and I'm wasting time posting here. I need to work harder with my DD to get her recruited. She's not on one of the super orgs, but like all dads, I believe she has the talent to play for anyone. :mrgreen:

Time for me, and her, to kick it up a notch!

Some loyalty would be nice, but that swings both ways. And sometimes it's just not meant to be. I know plenty of kids who have left "name" teams for "smaller" teams their senior year in order to better prepare for college, and everyone is happy. Many of the big names teams are about recruiting, and the Next Big Thing. If the NBT plays your DD's position, goodbye playing time. The coach should (and some do) let your kid know she would be better served finding a new team, rather than leaving her rot on the bench until she figures it out on her own. Coaches who stop playing kids without discussing it with them are major league asshats, IMO, and the kid should leave at the first opportunity.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by ontheblack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:08 pm

FPdad -

Dont be so quick to sell SD short. Here is a quick list of players that played locally and got recruited (I didnt include another 6 or so going to the Ivies because there is no scholarship money):
Katey Haus - Notre Dame
Mari Majam - Northwestern
Kelly Majam - Hawaii
Kayla Jordan - San Diego State
Taylor Lee - Cal
Lauren Hynes - Boston U
Rachel Nasland - Notre Dame
Sara White - Notre Dame
Delanie Gourley - Florida
Kellie Fox - UCLA
Alix Johnson - ASU
Angie Randazzo - Missouri
Amanda Hansen - Long Beach State

Haley Steele - ASU, played both locally and for OCBB, but it was her mom that was the lead in getting her into ASU.

If you can play the game and get the grades, you can play local and get recruited.
ontheblack

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:18 pm

ontheblack wrote:FPdad -

Dont be so quick to sell SD short. Here is a quick list of players that played locally and got recruited (I didnt include another 6 or so going to the Ivies because there is no scholarship money):
Katey Haus - Notre Dame
Mari Majam - Northwestern
Kelly Majam - Hawaii
Kayla Jordan - San Diego State
Taylor Lee - Cal
Lauren Hynes - Boston U
Rachel Nasland - Notre Dame
Sara White - Notre Dame
Delanie Gourley - Florida
Kellie Fox - UCLA
Alix Johnson - ASU
Angie Randazzo - Missouri
Amanda Hansen - Long Beach State

Haley Steele - ASU, played both locally and for OCBB, but it was her mom that was the lead in getting her into ASU.

If you can play the game and get the grades, you can play local and get recruited.

OTB - Your points are well taken. I know that there is a lot of talent in SD but it just seems that a lot of that talent goes north for TB. I don't think they need to, but that's just my opinion.

It would be interesting to see how many SD girls in general do go north and also how many girls from the above list played on the same TB team.

I guess I just want SD to get the props it deserves. Honestly, I'm tired of hearing how the northern orgs are so much better. I think we're seeing that in a lot of ways that's just not true. But the local girls need to give the SD orgs a chance and stop drinking the kool-aid.

"That's my perspective..." (Geez...did I really just quote Michael Tuck?) :mrgreen:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:50 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
So you're saying use the "super org" to get recruited and then bail on them if you don;t get playing time?

Nope. A purely mercenary mentality on the part of the organizations justifies--nay, requires--a correspondingly mercenary mentality on the part of the players. Anyway, it's one thing to ride the pine for a "super org" if you actually belong there (although even then it's not very smart if you've already been recruited). It's quite another if you are good enough to play and are never given an opportunity.

Tera Blanco is a stud, no question. I've been singing that kid's praises since 2007, when I first saw her play. Reasonable minds can certainly differ about whether she is better than the other studs that Rico had on his bench, when she is rested. But to go/stay with Blanco over, say, Sammy Cordova, when Sammy is fresh and Blanco isn't anywhere near it, well, that's a joke--and, as has been pointed out in this thread, it calls into question either the competence or the motivations of whoever is making that decision. Period.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Skarp wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

Nope. A purely mercenary mentality on the part of the organizations justifies--nay, requires--a correspondingly mercenary mentality on the part of the players. Anyway, it's one thing to ride the pine for a "super org" if you actually belong there (although even then it's not very smart if you've already been recruited). It's quite another if you are good enough to play and are never given an opportunity.

Tera Blanco is a stud, no question. I've been singing that kid's praises since 2007, when I first saw her play. Reasonable minds can certainly differ about whether she is better than the other studs that Rico had on his bench, when she is rested. But to go/stay with Blanco over, say, Sammy Cordova, when Sammy is fresh and Blanco isn't anywhere near it, well, that's a joke--and, as has been pointed out in this thread, it calls into question either the competence or the motivations of whoever is making that decision. Period.

My statement was misunderstood because it was poorly authored.

I wasn't saying that bailing out on the org was wrong, I was simply wondering if the whole event could be avoided.

What's good for the goose is certainly good for the gander and I am certainly not judging the mass exodus from Rico's team because of lack of playing time.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

@FPdad
Most of it is a numbers game. As one who's kid has always played in OC, there havent always been enough good teams with good coaches for all the kids who want to play. But that appears to be changing.

Its also cyclical with regards to talent. Case in point, a few years ago, my kid, fresh out of 12u, beat a well known SD org's 18 team. Today that wouldnt happen as that 18 team is pretty darn good.

The landscape changes quickly. At one time, being a BatBuster meant Case and Steve McNee was USA Athletics. Now we have Team Mizuno, an overnight sensation. In San Diego, TNL and Power Surge are winning again, there is a SD Bat Busters org fielding several teams, and a former founder of TNL trying to jump start the San Diego Aztecs. Heck, I hear even Tom Dodd is back.

Lots of choices today that didnt exist just a few years ago. Meanwhile Rico continues to dilute his org by doling out franchises at a rate that has McDonalds jealous.
ontheblack

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 pm

ontheblack wrote:@FPdad
Most of it is a numbers game. As one who's kid has always played in OC, there havent always been enough good teams with good coaches for all the kids who want to play. But that appears to be changing.

Its also cyclical with regards to talent. Case in point, a few years ago, my kid, fresh out of 12u, beat a well known SD org's 18 team. Today that wouldnt happen as that 18 team is pretty darn good.

The landscape changes quickly. At one time, being a BatBuster meant Case and Steve McNee was USA Athletics. Now we have Team Mizuno, an overnight sensation. In San Diego, TNL and Power Surge are winning again, there is a SD Bat Busters org fielding several teams, and a former founder of TNL trying to jump start the San Diego Aztecs. Heck, I hear even Tom Dodd is back.

Lots of choices today that didnt exist just a few years ago. Meanwhile Rico continues to dilute his org by doling out franchises at a rate that has McDonalds jealous.

Well I wish the landscape would change again...now!

Either that or have Team Mizuno ask my DD's org to be a San Diego branch. :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
ontheblack wrote:@FPdad

Well I wish the landscape would change again...now!

Either that or have Team Mizuno ask my DD's org to be a San Diego branch. :lol:

http://www.teammizunofastpitch.com/faq
ontheblack

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch