Questions and discussions involving PGF

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:46 am

Skarp wrote:
thecloser02 wrote:Here is what they had on the bench

Sammy Cordova Orange county pitcher of the year Utah bound Pac 12
Michelle Floyd University of Arizona bound Pac 12
Trish Parks University of Arizona bound Pac 12

Inexcusable.

I hope this has another deeper effect on the majority of parents out there. I hope that they realize en masse that their kid doesn't have to play for some "super org".
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:17 am

It's fine to go with those big org type teams to help with recruiting, but once you have a deal, you really need to be on a team where you are playing, a lot. The school that just gave you deal expects you to understand that you now have a responsibility to show up for college ready to play. If you aren't playing in TB, you aren't getting ready to play in college, so you need to find a team where you will play.

If more players and parents realize this, it should increase the parity across travel ball, as more D1 recruits find teams where they'll play, leaving fewer riding the pine for the big orgs.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by dodgerblue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 am

What happens most of the time certain colleges tell there future recruits what TB team they should be playing on and that TB will welcome that player because that will get that college watching their games. I was talking with my DD future college coach in Colorado while watching my DD play they looked over on the other field where they have another recruit that plays for a "super org" and I said this works out for you cause you can watch both recruits. She responded no we'll stay right here because she never plays. The only way to get better is to play and compete and you can't do that on the bench. JMHO, I wouldn't pay for a service that I'm not getting anything out of it. Most of these girls were on the radar with their colleges before they went to these teams but the "super org" will get all the credit.
dodgerblue

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Skarp wrote:
thecloser02 wrote:Here is what they had on the bench

Sammy Cordova Orange county pitcher of the year Utah bound Pac 12
Michelle Floyd University of Arizona bound Pac 12
Trish Parks University of Arizona bound Pac 12

Inexcusable.

I hope this has another deeper effect on the majority of parents out there. I hope that they realize en masse that their kid doesn't have to play for some "super org".

I don't know how this would show them that as each of those kids was recruited while being on the roster of a "super org".

Is it the "super org" that got the kid recruited or the player's ability?

If the answer is that it's more than 50% "super org" than there's a bigger problem than I first imagined. I would hope the college recruiters are doing more due diligence than just checking out the Firecrackers, Corona Angels and Batbusters of the world.

I have a feeling my hopes might be dashed. :roll:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:It's fine to go with those big org type teams to help with recruiting, but once you have a deal, you really need to be on a team where you are playing, a lot. The school that just gave you deal expects you to understand that you now have a responsibility to show up for college ready to play. If you aren't playing in TB, you aren't getting ready to play in college, so you need to find a team where you will play.

If more players and parents realize this, it should increase the parity across travel ball, as more D1 recruits find teams where they'll play, leaving fewer riding the pine for the big orgs.

So you're saying use the "super org" to get recruited and then bail on them if you don;t get playing time?

There's got to be a better way.

I just realized what that way is and I'm wasting time posting here. I need to work harder with my DD to get her recruited. She's not on one of the super orgs, but like all dads, I believe she has the talent to play for anyone. :mrgreen:

Time for me, and her, to kick it up a notch!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I kind of look at it this way "Super Org" = Puppy Mill.
Who made up the Super Org comment. You need to patent that saying its almost as good as "Play With Honor" :D
dodgerblue

by MavFan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
Trophy Hunter wrote:It's fine to go with those big org type teams to help with recruiting, but once you have a deal, you really need to be on a team where you are playing, a lot. The school that just gave you deal expects you to understand that you now have a responsibility to show up for college ready to play. If you aren't playing in TB, you aren't getting ready to play in college, so you need to find a team where you will play.

So you're saying use the "super org" to get recruited and then bail on them if you don;t get playing time?

I just realized what that way is and I'm wasting time posting here. I need to work harder with my DD to get her recruited. She's not on one of the super orgs, but like all dads, I believe she has the talent to play for anyone. :mrgreen:

My DD was not on one of the super orgs when she was offered, however, after she committed, she did play for a top team her Jr and Sr year of high school. Her thought was she wanted to play against and with the best because college wasn't going to be easy. Don't get me wrong, getting college coaches to the back fields and off the main complex wasn't easy, but it can be done with a lot of emailing and calling.
MavFan

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 pm

MavFan wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:

My DD was not on one of the super orgs when she was offered, however, after she committed, she did play for a top team her Jr and Sr year of high school. Her thought was she wanted to play against and with the best because college wasn't going to be easy. Don't get me wrong, getting college coaches to the back fields and off the main complex wasn't easy, but it can be done with a lot of emailing and calling.

Thanks for sharing that with me, MavFan. I have thought the same thing at times...perhaps she need to be pushed.

Our issues are loyalty to her current org/coach and that we live in San Diego county and simply do not want to travel far for practice (actually more her than me, but I'm not crazy about it either).

I don't feel that any org in San Diego qualifies as a super org, although I have expressed in the past that I wish more of the better SD talent would gather on fewer teams so that they could be more competitive. So I guess in that respect I have definitely been at least borderline hypocritical.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dodgerblue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 pm

I agree it can be done. My DD was on a "Super Org" and we went to a "Pretty Good Org" that was at the main complexes and sometimes the game times were bad but all the seniors all signed at the schools they wanted to go to. Just do your homework and you can get the footwork done yourself and all the coach has to do is add their 2 cents.
dodgerblue

by ontheblack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm

dodgerblue wrote:I kind of look at it this way "Super Org" = Puppy Mill.
Who made up the Super Org comment. You need to patent that saying its almost as good as "Play With Honor" :D

Not a fair comparison as one applies to the org and the other only applies to the kids.
ontheblack

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch