Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF DRAW is going on Now, post here

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by Safebyahare » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am

Hey TH,,, It is also a safe policing device. To keep crazy coaches in check. or as my dad would say "Hare we lock doors to keep honest people honest" huh? Have you ever heard of little Susie traveling all the way to an event and NOT playing.
We have all seen or heard of this. This policy allows coaches NOT to do that, they will play their best to win, no matter what.
Another arguement could be team location, Perhaps team Wyoming has only 9 impact players and a handful of others,,,it allows that pay off for paying, doing the time, and being part of that team. I like the concept, blind draw, or mass start this is not playoffs it is Nationals, if you are here, you got your shot.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:39 am

jonriv wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
Safebyahare wrote:With all due respect to those who oppose the blind draw.
Travel/club ball is not a seasonal sport and has a variable venues for games, showcases ect.
With that said, it is difficult at best to grade a team on a win, loss basis.
To rank a team at this National event would skew the playing field on a subjective basis.
This IS the event.....You are here,,,,,now play to win. No matter what the draw. If your team is ALL of that it should not be an issue.
It IS a positive thing, to have pool play NOT count in this event!! Why?,,,
It allows a team to SHOWCASE it's talent to the scouts, and other teams, It allows a deep team to reward all it's players for making it, While keeping the integrity of the team in place. To allow all it's players to participate. This IS a WIN, WIN deal!

What the rabbit said...

@Charlie, WRT "If you are not in the lineup at this point, you are on the wrong team", how many are rostered on your team?

What is the average size roster for teams at this event?

Many teams carry 16+. A few coaches keep rosters under 15, but not many here in SoCal.
ontheblack

by jonriv » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 am

[quote]Many teams carry 16+. A few coaches keep rosters under 15, but not many here in SoCal./quote]

Wow- just curious, why would anyone want to be #12-20 on a roster? Would you not be better served on a "lesser" team but play more?

I guess the "meaningless" pool games fit the dual role of the PGF Tournament(College Showcase/National Championship) At what point do the college coaches realize they are watching the second string in pool games and stop watching? I personally do not like the blind draw, would prefer if Qualifier winners and runner-ups were rewarded with higher bracket seedings-jmo
jonriv

by Safebyahare » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 am

PGF Nations is ALL that and a bag of chips. It has it all. Like a giant wet garbage burrito!
and here on the bucket trophy is a chief, no matter the recipe he never lets it burn, and always stirs the pot. :lol: :lol:
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stars99 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 am

Re: pool play, we keep hearing the coaches don't want it count, but never an explanation of Why? As others said earlier, this is a championship tournament, not a showcase - every game should matter. If at this point in the season you still need practice games maybe you don't belong there.[/quote]

Coaches don't want pool games to count because they want to have the opportunity to rest certain players and not go at 100% because the next days will be a grind for a lot of teams. Pool games are getting your pitchers kinks worked out and some at bats for girls that are on the bubble. Making those games count would just add 3 games that you have to ride your #1 arm.
stars99

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am

Safebyahare wrote:PGF Nations is ALL that and a bag of chips. It has it all. Like a giant wet garbage burrito!
and here on the bucket trophy is a chief, no matter the recipe he never lets it burn, and always stirs the pot. :lol: :lol:

aka constructive criticism. ;)
I don't know about garbage burritos, but I've never said that PGF was a bad tournament. It is in fact a very good tournament, that they are always seeking to make even better, so it helps them when supporters (like me) offer opinions on various aspects of the process.

For instance, no cross-over in 16u is a major blunder, IMO. They altered the tournament format, which to me should be sacrosanct. Why would they do that? There is a fix easily available, and unless there is an overwhelmingly compelling reason not to, they should remedy the situation immediately.

Another instance, playing 7 loser bracket games on Friday is absurd, when you have the whole weekend available to finish the tournament. The only plausible reason I've seen is because they need to do player interviews on Saturday for the TV game. IMO, that's not a very good reason. The health and welfare of the players should take priority over blurbs for TV.

In the end, you can take my comments as a wet garbage burrito or any other way you want. It's all good. 8-)
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by freetacos » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:18 pm

I couldn't believe that Tx Impact went straight from ASA to PGF. They didn't. The team a PGF is not the team that won second at ASA. This is the Impact second string team with a totally different coaching staff. No where near the talent of Impact Gold

Good luck to them as they will need it..

ft
freetacos

by 93players » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:16 pm

I agree that Impact should call that team Texas Impact Gold Dan. It is the organization's B team, but they do have some very talented players. I think this team took the bid because of hosting the Premier tourney. Corona Angels sent a slightly lesser team to last year's San Diego tourney. Label the teams is all we need. The Texas Peppers were at OKC and will be at Premier. Curious to see which players end up going to Cali.
93players

by BigSoftball » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:28 pm

93players wrote:I agree that Impact should call that team Texas Impact Gold Dan. It is the organization's B team, but they do have some very talented players. I think this team took the bid because of hosting the Premier tourney. Corona Angels sent a slightly lesser team to last year's San Diego tourney. Label the teams is all we need. The Texas Peppers were at OKC and will be at Premier. Curious to see which players end up going to Cali.

If you go to PGF tournament page then "Pools" then "Live Scores" you can look up any team in the tournament. Here is the Peppers Roster:

http://premiergirlsfp.bbstats.pointstre ... onid=17530
BigSoftball

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:
Safebyahare wrote:PGF Nations is ALL that and a bag of chips. It has it all. Like a giant wet garbage burrito!

aka constructive criticism. ;)
I don't know about garbage burritos, but I've never said that PGF was a bad tournament. It is in fact a very good tournament, that they are always seeking to make even better, so it helps them when supporters (like me) offer opinions on various aspects of the process.

For instance, no cross-over in 16u is a major blunder, IMO. They altered the tournament format, which to me should be sacrosanct. Why would they do that? There is a fix easily available, and unless there is an overwhelmingly compelling reason not to, they should remedy the situation immediately.

Another instance, playing 7 loser bracket games on Friday is absurd, when you have the whole weekend available to finish the tournament. The only plausible reason I've seen is because they need to do player interviews on Saturday for the TV game. IMO, that's not a very good reason. The health and welfare of the players should take priority over blurbs for TV.

In the end, you can take my comments as a wet garbage burrito or any other way you want. It's all good. 8-)

Teams in the past asked that championship game be on day by itself, that way they could put the best possible team on the field.

Regarding TV, PGF could do like ASA and declare that getting games on TV is too hard, and just not do it. But then PGF would really be competing with ASA.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch