Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

NEW ASA POLICY ON SELECTING USA SOFTBALL JUNIOR TEAM

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by CULater » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am

PDad wrote:
CULater wrote:PGF's invitations also exclude some kids and teams from being able to play in their National Tournament and be seen by all the top coaches in America?

By limiting the number of teams to 66 and then inviting half the field, based on secret criteria, known only to them, they reduce the number of teams that could potentially qualify. Now some kid that needs to be seen against the best competition doesn't get the chance because there are only 2 teams that earn a berth in her qualifier instead of 4 because those berths were given to a friend.

Exclusion is exclusion...

Ignoring the inaccuracy of PGF inviting half the teams, any event that requires teams to qualify inherently excludes teams - including ASA/USA Nats.

There are lots of events that offer exposure. There's only 1 national team.

I guess we will have to see when the complete list of teams comes out as to how many earned a berth and how many were passed down or invitations.

The difference between excluding teams because they lost on the field is different then excluding teams because the number of berths were reduced in lieu of invitations.

There is only one PGF national championship tournament.

And all the teams that play only PGF could play in one ASA qualifier and become eligible for the JNT.
CULater

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:55 am

So you are saying a subpar JNT is fine? The rest is just justification.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CULater » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am

Nope, just saying that it is ASA's team, for the time being and they make the rules.

I still contend, that if they wanted to, ASA could have just selected their team without publically making a change to the criteria (like PGF did with orignial invitations and additional invitations). And basically said these are the players we want, and there would have been nothing to complain about except for the injustice after the fact. But in the stupid game of my dick is bigger than yours, they took the opportunity the screw over some deserving kids in order to one up PGF.

Are you saying that a subpar qualification system where invitations are just handed out based on private criteria is ok? And the rest is just justification?
CULater

by jonriv » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:11 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:So you are saying a subpar JNT is fine? The rest is just justification.

Again, I think the new process ASA is too exclusionary and "smoked filled room-like" with its "Committee", but I think the old way also sucked and was exclusionary(just not as obviously so) I am sure everyone on HB can name some well deserving player they felt were "snubbed" in 2010, but short of some giant free-for-all open try-out-committee is the way it will go. Many areas with very weak ASA presence were always overlooked. My guess the selection process was always a behind closed door "in the club" kind of decision- ASA just went and informed the NPF people(right or wrong) they were no longer in the club. Since I believe ASA funds USA softball(through its fees), I guess they have some say in the criteria of who they select.

I am also not sure how "sub-par" the team will be

Is there any rule through ISF of entering another US team?

I also do not see a similar issue in the National Team- they will want the best (no matter) and will continue through the NCAA and previous National Team members. DIdn't the NCFA try to gain control of the national team a few years ago.
jonriv

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 am

CULater wrote:And all the teams that play only PGF could play in one ASA qualifier and become eligible for the JNT.

They could have if there had been ample notification. By the time the next tryout, these girls that are seniors/juniors will be too old. ASA has now taken a great opportunity away from girls who would have made it.

So, don't you think that if a girl really wants to play PGF they can't go and be a pick up player on another team. I mean, if she is good enough, someone will want her right?

My kids have played ASA at the younger ages and loved it. Now, my youngest is happy to play PGF. I think it is great to have choices, play ASA or PGF. If you don't like it, don't play. Do I like that teams are being invited, NO, some of them do not deserve it, but PGF is doing what they can to build this program. There will be bumps in the road. Go play ASA and stop complaining
Sftbll4ever

by Turn two » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 am

"Is there any rule through ISF of entering another US team?"

If there isn't, I'm starting my own team. Tryouts TBD :lol: :lol: :lol:
Turn two

by CULater » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am

Sftbll4ever wrote:
CULater wrote:And all the teams that play only PGF could play in one ASA qualifier and become eligible for the JNT.

They could have if there had been ample notification. By the time the next tryout, these girls that are seniors/juniors will be too old. ASA has now taken a great opportunity away from girls who would have made it.

So, don't you think that if a girl really wants to play PGF they can't go and be a pick up player on another team. I mean, if she is good enough, someone will want her right?

My kids have played ASA at the younger ages and loved it. Now, my youngest is happy to play PGF. I think it is great to have choices, play ASA or PGF. If you don't like it, don't play. Do I like that teams are being invited, NO, some of them do not deserve it, but PGF is doing what they can to build this program. There will be bumps in the road. Go play ASA and stop complaining

I don't agree with ASA changing the rules half way, just like I didn't like PGF changing the rules half way. But they are involved in a big pissing match and that is the problem.
CULater

by tds » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Fredegar wrote:
jonriv wrote:
dodgerblue wrote:You guy's are making such a big deal about this and to be honest most dont give a crap. We could field an ASA team and still beat up on all other countries. Some of you act like these games are competitive. :?

That's what I was saying.....

I personally do not like the the ASA's new selection policy, probably did not really like the old one either. I believe they probably have missed out on some great players over the years. Now the sections have always been made by a committee and the criteria from what I could research was always pretty much in the committee. I am sure that every time there have been many great players that did not make it even to the tryouts. Not sure of any other way (efficiently) to pick a junior national team- there are so many very good players spread all over the place. I have to concur with dodger on this.

I agree to a point. Most don't give a crap. True. Someone else said it only affects 1% of the players. True. And our JNT will probably compete fine, no matter how the team is selected. True.

But that doesn't mean it's fair if some deserving kids are being excluded. It sure as hell matters to them and their families. And it's not right that they've been told they're being excluded so late into the season that it's possibly too late to fix it and become eligible. And of course the old way may have left some deserving kids off the team ... that happens with any all-star selection process. But excluding top talent before it even starts is not right. The JNT should be bigger than organizational infighting.

Last comment: As for the affecting 1%, that's like saying if racism only affects 10% of the country, it's okay because it's a pretty small percentage. Sorry ... wrong is wrong. And people should bring it to light. Even if it doesn't make a difference in how badly we ultimately run-rule Australia.

I would beg to differ about deserving kids who are being excluded having parents that care. Did anyone notice that there is not ONE girl on the National team from SoCal Athletics, however they happened to have won PGF nationals the last two years, while there are several girls from Firecrackers? I would think there is at LEAST one girl from the Athletics that is deserving, if not several. The point is there will always be deserving players that get overlooked. And I for one don't give it much thought. I'm looking forward to my daughter playing college ball, all the while her PGF Natioal Championship ring sits in her closet collecting dust! And just as a side note, she never played in an ASA national tournament, we were Triple Crown all the way!
tds

by Trophy Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 am

tds wrote:I would beg to differ about deserving kids who are being excluded having parents that care. Did anyone notice that there is not ONE girl on the National team from SoCal Athletics, however they happened to have won PGF nationals the last two years, while there are several girls from Firecrackers? I would think there is at LEAST one girl from the Athletics that is deserving, if not several. The point is there will always be deserving players that get overlooked. And I for one don't give it much thought. I'm looking forward to my daughter playing college ball, all the while her PGF Natioal Championship ring sits in her closet collecting dust! And just as a side note, she never played in an ASA national tournament, we were Triple Crown all the way!

I for one am glad to hear the kids who were overlooked are not scarred for life by this grave oversight. They must have been raised right. :D

But shocked, absolutely shocked that the PGF rings are collecting dust. With all the hyperbole one hears, you would think those vaunted rings would be highly polished so the girls can flaunt them when they begin attending college in fall. :lol:
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by Trophy Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 am

Spazsdad wrote:I still see dads rockin their 10u rings :lol: :lol: :lol:

The key word being "dads!" :lol: :lol:
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch