Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

NEW ASA POLICY ON SELECTING USA SOFTBALL JUNIOR TEAM

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by softballmafia » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Saw this on SPY today concerning the selection of the USA SOFTBALL JUNIOR WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM..............looks like you play anything other than ASA and you get disqualified.

NEW ASA POLICY ON SELECTING USA SOFTBALL JUNIOR WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM

ASA Director of National Teams Ronnie Isham informed Spy on Wednesday that ASA/USA Softball will select players for the 2013 ISF Junior World Championship from the ASA Program .

Only those age eligible players who compete on ASA Registered teams and participate in ASA Championship Play and/or at the upcoming ASA Gold Nationals will be evaluated and eligible. In effect, the ASA Gold Nationals and ASA Championship Play will be the selection camp for the USA Softball Jr. Women’s National Team which will compete in Brampton, Ontario Canada in July, 2013.

Players whose teams compete in other Softball Associations will only be eligible if they have competed at the ASA Gold Nationals or in ASA Championship Play.

Reminded that there are very good players whose teams compete at ASA 18U and 16U, Isham said exceptions are possible for outstanding players from the other two ASA Divisions.

Spy noted that a sizeable number of top teams, including former Gold champions – the Firecrackers, Batbusters, So Cal Athletics, Team North Florida – no longer compete in ASA Gold but will play this year at Premiere, Thus, some of the nation’s best players will not be eligible for the 2013 ISF Junior World Championship team. Isham said no exceptions will be made for players whose teams only compete in other Softball Associations.
softballmafia

by ontheblack » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 pm

ASA fires a shot across the bow of Premier with the kids being the ones hit.

Nice job, ASA.
ontheblack

by coachEd » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

softballmafia wrote:Saw this on SPY today concerning the selection of the USA SOFTBALL JUNIOR WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM..............looks like you play anything other than ASA and you get disqualified.

NEW ASA POLICY ON SELECTING USA SOFTBALL JUNIOR WOMEN’S NATIONAL TEAM

ASA Director of National Teams Ronnie Isham informed Spy on Wednesday that ASA/USA Softball will select players for the 2013 ISF Junior World Championship from the ASA Program .

Only those age eligible players who compete on ASA Registered teams and participate in ASA Championship Play and/or at the upcoming ASA Gold Nationals will be evaluated and eligible. In effect, the ASA Gold Nationals and ASA Championship Play will be the selection camp for the USA Softball Jr. Women’s National Team which will compete in Brampton, Ontario Canada in July, 2013.

Players whose teams compete in other Softball Associations will only be eligible if they have competed at the ASA Gold Nationals or in ASA Championship Play.

Reminded that there are very good players whose teams compete at ASA 18U and 16U, Isham said exceptions are possible for outstanding players from the other two ASA Divisions.

Spy noted that a sizeable number of top teams, including former Gold champions – the Firecrackers, Batbusters, So Cal Athletics, Team North Florida – no longer compete in ASA Gold but will play this year at Premiere, Thus, some of the nation’s best players will not be eligible for the 2013 ISF Junior World Championship team. Isham said no exceptions will be made for players whose teams only compete in other Softball Associations.

So are players who are on a team that plays in a Gold Regional Qualifier (i.e., ASA Championship play), but the team, if they qualify at the Regional, declines the berth to Gold Nationals and goes to Premier instead, eligible?
coachEd

by Trophy Hunter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 pm

This is the trump card and ASA finally played it. I expected it earlier in the year, so coaches could plan their summer schedule accordingly. The timing really puts the screws to some good ball players, and puts a lot of coaches under the gun for not seeing it coming. Doesn't Rico coach the Jr team? How could he not anticipate this? (or maybe he doesn't want to lose half his starters again?! :lol: )

It is a full scale frontal attack on PGF, no question, and it will be interesting to see where player and coach loyalties lie come time for qualifiers next year.

From the wording, it looks like they won't be cutting anybody any slack - play ASA or forget being considered for the Junior National team.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:07 pm

You always knew politicizing the national team was the Defcon 10 button for ASA. They must have retreated to lower bunker about 1 month ago. I suspect ASA will regret hitting it.

Would good stewards of the national team actually politicize the selection of players? For their own benefit? Only thing that should determine participation in national team is getting the best possible team. If you are no longer interested in building the best team, why continue to run the national team?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Spazsdad wrote:I think it is sad that what is supposed to be the team made up of the best players the country has to offer will now be made up of the best that kneel before ASA.
Like many endeavors in the US integrity is dead.

Looks like the players are just collateral damage in an on-going pissing contest between control freaks.
Yay! Honor the game! Honor the flag!
Oh wait, can't do both! Thanks guys!
For all the wonderful things you do for the sport! Thanks a lot!
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by Battle » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 pm

I have a feeling that this is just the beginning. You wanted ASA's attention? Well, you got it.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Battle » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Spazsdad wrote:In the world of ASA, JO ball is a blip on the radar. ASA's big cash cow is slow pitch. The number of slow pitch players across the country dwarfs fastpitch. ASA can do as they want with fastpitch with no real effect on themselves.
In the big picture we don't really matter.

That may be true about slow pitch but if fastpitch doesn't matter then why would they do this?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by ontheblack » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Battle wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:In the world of ASA, JO ball is a blip on the radar. ASA's big cash cow is slow pitch. The number of slow pitch players across the country dwarfs fastpitch. ASA can do as they want with fastpitch with no real effect on themselves.
In the big picture we don't really matter.

That may be true about slow pitch but if fastpitch doesn't matter then why would they do this?

A. Ego
B. Arrogance
C. Control
D. All of the above
ontheblack

by Dowhatulike » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:39 pm

All PGF Has to do is adjust their schedule as far as qualifiers and championship dates...........doesn't Asa already have their Dates already set way ahead?This way you still have the opportunity to play both.
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch