Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

At Large births this year?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by rukidding » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:
rukidding wrote:It appears so and becasue they are not part of the SoCal club they are ignored. this IMHO is what hurts PGF. They are selective which is their right but dont turn around and say they are only after the best when some of the best are simply ignored for whatever reason and lesser teams receive invites.

But you are ok that ASA does this too? Every year in all divisions except for Gold, they add teams only from their area to fill up space even though they have about 100 teams. I've seen some of those teams play at Nationals and they would be "B" teams at best. They do this every year and have been for at least the 9 years that we've been around "A" travel.

PGF really does need to stop with all the invites, but they are just getting off the ground. Only their 3rd show and doing pretty good at it too. I'm sure PGF is working on what their next steps will be to remove this issue of handing down berths, but can you honestly say that about ASA?

Again agreed but ASA and it's proponents are going around beating their chests about how it's the best of the best either are they? That's what PGF is supposed to be all about and they are supposed to be doing a much greater job than ASA according to all of the hype but in fact, according to your debate they really arent any different than ASA.

My dd's team will be at PGF so I am happy with it. It is close to home which is the number one factor. Its not the weather (cuz anywhere in the USA is better than Az in July/August), its not the competiton cuz I am sure we wont go very far,, its not the recruiters cuz we are only 14u and its not the sightseeing.
rukidding

by PDad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:36 pm

rukidding wrote:... What I am saying is the AZ team I am referring to is right there with the top Cali teams and PGF has issued invites to everyone around but them. If PGF is truly about having the best then then why hasnt this team received an invite. They have played all of the top Cali teams and done well beating more than half of them. Again is it becasue they are not from Cali.?

It appears so and becasue they are not part of the SoCal club they are ignored.

I don't think it's a regional SoCal club. IMO, especially at the younger age groups, it's more about whether the team has a track record of contending at high profile tourneys or their org is part of the old 18G club. Again, JMHO...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
rukidding wrote:

My DD's team avoided the AZ qualifier in our own backyard to go play in the Tx qualifier becasue our coach felt the competition was too strong. The strongest team from AZ stayed home and missed a berth by one game (4th) losing to two teams who eventually qualified in the Cali qualifier by one run in extra innings and beating two ther reams from Cali who qualified in Cali. Yet this team to my knowledge has received no invite. Is this becasue they are not from California. they are undoubtedly the strongest team from Az.

A third weak team from Az went to Mn to qualify agter being unable to qualify for ASA here in AZ and getting knocked out of the Az PGF qualifier in 2 games.

this is the kind of issues that hurt PGF IMHO.

Are you saying that teams going to MN to get a berth is what is hurting PGF? That happened every year, still happens in ASA. I think that serves to make the tournament stronger and make softball stronger. That team traveling to MN is bumping a weaker team. They are also showing the MN guys what it takes to compete. Being from WA, it was a breath of fresh air to have CA teams come to town, beat up all the locals and show them how ball could be played.

No that's not what he's saying at all. Why are you interjecting what ASA does to justify what PGF does? Isn't PGF supposed to be doing it better?

And if you believe your "breath of fresh air" comment, why should the superior teams have to travel to WA to get a berth in the first place? Why don't the WA teams have to go to SoCal for a berth? Do away with qualifiers everywhere but SoCal, that way only the best teams would qualify. :lol:

And why do we have to bear the expense to "come to town, beat up all the locals and show them how ball could be played." If you want to learn maybe you should bear the expense of your schooling. :lol:
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by Trophy Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:00 am

Wondering how many teams PGF will end up with, and when the final invites will go out? There are quite a few SoCal teams hoping for those invites... when will they get to tell their teams to forget it, the season is over?
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by coachEd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 am

Although I cant confirm this, in 14u, it looks like PGF has gone back to the cancelled qualifiers and given berths to the teams that paid, even though the games were not played. Teams that appear to have paid and have gotten a berth from the cancelled Georgia qualifier are Birmingham Thunderbolts 98 and Carolina Elite, and getting a berth from the cancelled Colorado qualifier is NW Bullets. The field of teams for 14u as of now is at 48.
coachEd

by 1prouddad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 pm

coachEd wrote:Although I cant confirm this, in 14u, it looks like PGF has gone back to the cancelled qualifiers and given berths to the teams that paid, even though the games were not played. Teams that appear to have paid and have gotten a berth from the cancelled Georgia qualifier are Birmingham Thunderbolts 98 and Carolina Elite, and getting a berth from the cancelled Colorado qualifier is NW Bullets. The field of teams for 14u as of now is at 48.

I have heard that 48 is the number and no more berths will be given out.
1prouddad

by PDad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 am

14u is now at 50 with the addition of NJ Intensity and So Cal Pumas.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am

PDad wrote:14u is now at 50 with the addition of NJ Intensity and So Cal Pumas.

Those may be the result of "births", if no more berths were to be awarded.

:D: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by UmpSteve on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BBking » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am

PDad wrote:14u is now at 50 with the addition of NJ Intensity and So Cal Pumas.

How did So Cal Pumas get their berth?
BBking

by smash » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:55 am

I can't believe some of these at large births. Minor's Gold Esparza?? I know they did well in Colorado and are getting better, but beside that tourney they were not even close to qualifying. My DD team beat them many times and finished better in PGF qualifiers and still did not quite make it. I guess it's who you know.
smash

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch