Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

At Large births this year?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by PDad » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Safebyahare wrote:hmmm, did more teams get added to 16u :?: :o
Should I be watching? Is someone watching :roll:

You're right - 4 new teams after the NorTex qualifier. On a positive note, 3 of the 4 are from outside Cal.

I noticed earlier today they're only at 58 teams - 48 registered, 7 unregistered and 3 berths TBD this weekend. They had 65 teams last year...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stars99 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 pm

:lol:
Last edited by stars99 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stars99

by jmo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm

PDad wrote:
Safebyahare wrote:hmmm, did more teams get added to 16u :?: :o
Should I be watching? Is someone watching :roll:

You're right - 4 new teams after the NorTex qualifier. On a positive note, 3 of the 4 are from outside Cal.

I noticed earlier today they're only at 58 teams - 48 registered, 7 unregistered and 3 berths TBD this weekend. They had 65 teams last year...

Actually 8 teams were added...6 thru qualifiers and 2 at large. Also there are 57 teams (Austin Storm and Mizuno Impulse have not registered yet) with 3 left via NW qualifier so yes there will be a few more at large berths just to give you advanced warning ;)
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 am

Well that's a relief, I was going to claim heat fatigue from my day outside. (guilty of not doing my homework, and typing before thinking) :oops:
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softball4everandever » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:11 am

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
softball4everandever wrote:
ontheblack wrote:Order of finish has nothing to do with what one bad inning cost them, which put them into the loser bracket. But it doesnt matter, they didnt win when they needed to win. My point is that the Aztecs are not a bad choice at this point for a berth.

I agree though that PGF still needs to tweak the process, something they know as well.

Good luck to your team, Aztecs. :)

Are you trying to say that you think OTB's DD plays for the Aztecs?

A team he/she is rooting for... ;)
softball4everandever

by rukidding » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am

ontheblack wrote:
ontheblack wrote:SD Aztecs competed in two qualifiers. Solid 98 team one takes lightly at their own peril.

So why not just give them a berth from the beginning instead of make them pay for 3 qualifiers if they are worthy?

Can the same be said about FC DFW?

I dont know about the Texas FC team. It makes sense that if you do have to give out a berth that expands your reach with teams that want to be there. I do know that the Aztecs were not looking for a handout, which is why they entered 3 qualifiers and played in two. They could have qualified in AZ if not for one shaky inning, and I would bet their entry fee that they would have qualified if given the chance to play the TX Q.

Now that it is all said and done it ihas been very interesting to see how PGF has been very selective about who to invite.

My DD's team avoided the AZ qualifier in our own backyard to go play in the Tx qualifier becasue our coach felt the competition was too strong. The strongest team from AZ stayed home and missed a berth by one game (4th) losing to two teams who eventually qualified in the Cali qualifier by one run in extra innings and beating two ther reams from Cali who qualified in Cali. Yet this team to my knowledge has received no invite. Is this becasue they are not from California. they are undoubtedly the strongest team from Az.

A third weak team from Az went to Mn to qualify agter being unable to qualify for ASA here in AZ and getting knocked out of the Az PGF qualifier in 2 games.

this is the kind of issues that hurt PGF IMHO.
rukidding

by ontheblack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 pm

ontheblack wrote:Order of finish has nothing to do with what one bad inning cost them, which put them into the loser bracket. But it doesnt matter, they didnt win when they needed to win. My point is that the Aztecs are not a bad choice at this point for a berth.

I agree though that PGF still needs to tweak the process, something they know as well.

Good luck to your team, Aztecs. :)

No affiliation. I try to be objective, which is why I also think we will see at large berths for 14s go to SoCal Breakers Imoto and Team AZ. I also believe that USA As Eveland would have been a legit team to get an at large berth as well, but I have heard they are done as a team.
ontheblack

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 pm

rukidding wrote:
ontheblack wrote:
ontheblack wrote:SD Aztecs competed in two qualifiers. Solid 98 team one takes lightly at their own peril.

So why not just give them a berth from the beginning instead of make them pay for 3 qualifiers if they are worthy?

I dont know about the Texas FC team. It makes sense that if you do have to give out a berth that expands your reach with teams that want to be there. I do know that the Aztecs were not looking for a handout, which is why they entered 3 qualifiers and played in two. They could have qualified in AZ if not for one shaky inning, and I would bet their entry fee that they would have qualified if given the chance to play the TX Q.

Now that it is all said and done it ihas been very interesting to see how PGF has been very selective about who to invite.

My DD's team avoided the AZ qualifier in our own backyard to go play in the Tx qualifier becasue our coach felt the competition was too strong. The strongest team from AZ stayed home and missed a berth by one game (4th) losing to two teams who eventually qualified in the Cali qualifier by one run in extra innings and beating two ther reams from Cali who qualified in Cali. Yet this team to my knowledge has received no invite. Is this becasue they are not from California. they are undoubtedly the strongest team from Az.

A third weak team from Az went to Mn to qualify agter being unable to qualify for ASA here in AZ and getting knocked out of the Az PGF qualifier in 2 games.

Are you saying that teams going to MN to get a berth is what is hurting PGF? That happened every year, still happens in ASA. I think that serves to make the tournament stronger and make softball stronger. That team traveling to MN is bumping a weaker team. They are also showing the MN guys what it takes to compete. Being from WA, it was a breath of fresh air to have CA teams come to town, beat up all the locals and show them how ball could be played.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rukidding » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
rukidding wrote:
ontheblack wrote:

Are you saying that teams going to MN to get a berth is what is hurting PGF? That happened every year, still happens in ASA. I think that serves to make the tournament stronger and make softball stronger. That team traveling to MN is bumping a weaker team. They are also showing the MN guys what it takes to compete. Being from WA, it was a breath of fresh air to have CA teams come to town, beat up all the locals and show them how ball could be played.

No not at all because I agree with your statement. What I am saying is the AZ team I am referring to is right there with the top Cali teams and PGF has issued invites to everyone around but them. If PGF is truly about having the best then then why hasnt this team received an invite. They have played all of the top Cali teams and done well beating more than half of them. Again is it becasue they are not from Cali.?

It appears so and becasue they are not part of the SoCal club they are ignored. this IMHO is what hurts PGF. They are selective which is their right but dont turn around and say they are only after the best when some of the best are simply ignored for whatever reason and lesser teams receive invites.
rukidding

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:47 pm

rukidding wrote:It appears so and becasue they are not part of the SoCal club they are ignored. this IMHO is what hurts PGF. They are selective which is their right but dont turn around and say they are only after the best when some of the best are simply ignored for whatever reason and lesser teams receive invites.

But you are ok that ASA does this too? Every year in all divisions except for Gold, they add teams only from their area to fill up space even though they have about 100 teams. I've seen some of those teams play at Nationals and they would be "B" teams at best. They do this every year and have been for at least the 9 years that we've been around "A" travel.

PGF really does need to stop with all the invites, but they are just getting off the ground. Only their 3rd show and doing pretty good at it too. I'm sure PGF is working on what their next steps will be to remove this issue of handing down berths, but can you honestly say that about ASA?
Sftbll4ever

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch