Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Question- why not close the Qualifiers to state / regional

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by OCwildcatMom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 am

CULater wrote:
jonriv wrote:It's better than having Socal teams travel across the country so they can go to a nationals in their own backyard-right?

I like the idea of limiting state/regionals to that particular state/region- but if you do then you need to give the top SOCAL teams other ways of qualifying so that top teams are represented

From a logistics point Jon, for a SoCal team it is cheaper to fly to Houston for a 3-day qualifier, than it is to qualify at home for ASA, then spend 7 days in OKC, Montgomery, or Sioux Falls.

We are not talking about the National Tournament. We are talking about Qualifiers only. Lets not get side tracked from the topic.
OCwildcatMom

by CULater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 am

OCwildcatMom wrote:
CULater wrote:
jonriv wrote:It's better than having Socal teams travel across the country so they can go to a nationals in their own backyard-right?

I like the idea of limiting state/regionals to that particular state/region- but if you do then you need to give the top SOCAL teams other ways of qualifying so that top teams are represented

From a logistics point Jon, for a SoCal team it is cheaper to fly to Houston for a 3-day qualifier, than it is to qualify at home for ASA, then spend 7 days in OKC, Montgomery, or Sioux Falls.

We are not talking about the National Tournament. We are talking about Qualifiers only. Lets not get side tracked from the topic.

I am not getting sidetracked. If I am a SoCal team, and cannot qualify for PGF in my home area, my choices are to 1)qualify for ASA in my area or 2) travel to qualify for PGF in another part of the country. From a logistics standpoint, it is cheaper for me to fly to Houston, for 3 days and qualify for PGF (and stay home for nationals) than it is to stay home and qualify ASA, then travel to OKC, Montgomery, or Sioux Falls for 7 days. Its the same logic used Always Improve and others to promote playing PGF nationals over ASA nationals. Cheaper and more flights, cheaper and more hotels.
Last edited by CULater on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CULater

by coachEd » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 am

Another question is, what will PGF do with the berths from cancelled qualifiers? Tomorrow is the registration deadline for the Colorado and Georgia qualifiers, and in 14u, there is 1 team confirmed for each. If they dont get the minimum number of teams by tomorrow and cancel the 14u qualifiers in Co and Ga, will they add any of those 5 berths to the So Cal 14u qualifier, which has 35 teams confirmed (so far), and another 20 that have started the registration process, fighting for 4 berths?
Last edited by coachEd on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachEd

by jonriv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:00 am

CULater wrote:
OCwildcatMom wrote:
CULater wrote:

I am not getting sidetracked. If I am a SoCal team, and cannot qualify for PGF in my home area, my choices are to 1)qualify for ASA in my area or 2) travel to qualify for PGF in another part of the country. From a logistics standpoint, it is cheaper for me to fly to Houston, for 3 days and qualify for PGF (and stay home for nationals) than it is to stay home and qualify ASA, then travel to OKC, Montgomery, or Sioux Falls.

That is why I was agreeing to add more slots at Socal tourneys- to avoid the travel
jonriv

by hit4power » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 am

Why aren't the qualifiers in Texas as well attended as they could be?

One opinion FWIW

1) The weekend that PGF chose for its qualifier was probably the only one available, but as noted, it has conflicts with ASA qualifiers at the younger age groups, with some well established tournaments that draw some of the better 18G teams, and with HS graduations that leave some teams short handed this weekend. Also true that TX HS state championship concluded this weekend which also leaves some teams short of players.
2) THe bigger issue, IMO, is that if you qualify you win an expensive trip to SoCal. For many of us, it's just too much after already forking out for a week in Colo. Why pay to go to SoCal to be seen by many of the same coaches that just saw you in Colo a month earlier?
3) For the top 18G teams who qualify for Gold Nats, it also presents a problem of just too much softball. I know of at least one (maybe more) teams from around here that participated in Gold Nats and then PGF back to back a couple of years ago and decided it was too much both from a cost and time perspective. Many coaches just can't get that kind of time off from their real jobs, ditto parents, and the girls are just plain tired at that point and ready for a break.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softball4everandever » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:07 am

coachEd wrote:Another question is, what will PGF do with the berths from cancelled qualifiers? Tomorrow is the registration deadline for the Colorado and Georgia qualifiers, and in 14u, there is 1 team confirmed for each. If they dont get the minimum number of teams by tomorrow and cancel the 14u qualifiers in Co and Ga, will they add any of those 5 berths to the So Cal 14u qualifier, which has 35 teams confirmed (so far), and another 20 that have started the registration process, fighting for 4 berths?

I'm betting teams from So Cal will be signing up ASAP for Colorado...
softball4everandever

by CULater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:17 am

hit4power wrote:
Why aren't the qualifiers in Texas as well attended as they could be?

One opinion FWIW

1) The weekend that PGF chose for its qualifier was probably the only one available, but as noted, it has conflicts with ASA qualifiers at the younger age groups, with some well established tournaments that draw some of the better 18G teams, and with HS graduations that leave some teams short handed this weekend. Also true that TX HS state championship concluded this weekend which also leaves some teams short of players.
2) THe bigger issue, IMO, is that if you qualify you win an expensive trip to SoCal. For many of us, it's just too much after already forking out for a week in Colo. Why pay to go to SoCal to be seen by many of the same coaches that just saw you in Colo a month earlier?
3) For the top 18G teams who qualify for Gold Nats, it also presents a problem of just too much softball. I know of at least one (maybe more) teams from around here that participated in Gold Nats and then PGF back to back a couple of years ago and decided it was too much both from a cost and time perspective. Many coaches just can't get that kind of time off from their real jobs, ditto parents, and the girls are just plain tired at that point and ready for a break.

I kind of agree that the weekend selected stinks, because of graduation and state tournament. But then why aren't the teams signed up for the North Texas qualifier?

I disagree that the trip to California is any more expensive than the trip to Sioux Falls, I have found them to be very similar in flight and hotel. It is cheaper to go to ASA Gold in OKC because from Houston you can drive the 7 or 8 hours. But next year ASA Gold is in the Tampa Bay area, not sure it is any cheaper to fly and stay in Clearwater than it is SoCal.

Your last comment is what I am speaking to.....why is ASA still the choice for most Texas teams over PGF??
CULater

by PDad » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:58 am

coachEd wrote:Another question is, what will PGF do with the berths from cancelled qualifiers? Tomorrow is the registration deadline for the Colorado and Georgia qualifiers, and in 14u, there is 1 team confirmed for each.

There may be more teams entered than shown - it's not unusual for brackets to come out with more teams than what was listed after the deadline. BTW, the team listed for the Georgia qualifier, Lady Lightning Futures, is likely the one that qualified at the Indiana qualifier.

IMO, the current PGF policy that results in canceled qualifiers is problematic because it is based on the number of berths. They should establish a minimum number of teams for a qualifier and just reduce the number of berths if the participation is insufficient for the original number of berths.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 pm

softball4everandever wrote:
coachEd wrote:Another question is, what will PGF do with the berths from cancelled qualifiers? Tomorrow is the registration deadline for the Colorado and Georgia qualifiers, and in 14u, there is 1 team confirmed for each. If they dont get the minimum number of teams by tomorrow and cancel the 14u qualifiers in Co and Ga, will they add any of those 5 berths to the So Cal 14u qualifier, which has 35 teams confirmed (so far), and another 20 that have started the registration process, fighting for 4 berths?

There are only 4 teams entered in the Minnesota 14u qualifier, with 2 berths available.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Trophy Hunter wrote:
softball4everandever wrote:

There are only 4 teams entered in the Minnesota 14u qualifier, with 2 berths available.

Nice odds..

Any Cali teams going?
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch